44.7%
No, what a dick! (73)
55.3%
im so academic,
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You may as well. The library will easily be able to get a new one.

If you don't want to, then print the pages?
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by God_X)
God will punish you as He orders that: "Thou shalt not steal."

I wouldn't if I were you, as you would be sinning.
Not religious, so don't care. :p:
lee.hannah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
dont keep it, it may seem worth it but you'll feel guilty FOREVER..and imagine if the person before you on the waiting list had done that
Hamesh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
You've clearly never read a book so wonderful. :rolleyes:
At present, it may feel the most precious item you could dream of having just as I want a ferrari. It's not going to last. However, actually putting the effort into to trying to buy this book will increase your motivation to try & find better ways of solving dilemmas in future.

Think about the other people who can be given the chance to read this.
VaVe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you considered scanning it all into the computer and printing yourself a copy?
Yes, it will take you a lot of effort and time.
But everyone else on the waiting list will be able to read it.
Lucygator
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
woooooooah, selling for $730 on amazon. go against your morals, sell it and get rich! woo hoo!!

im a really bad person
wangelo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If they ask for ridiculous amounts of money say you will look for it and then say you found and give it back.

But it is a bit sly considering this book seems to be a rare find.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucygator)
woooooooah, selling for $730 on amazon. go against your morals, sell it and get rich! woo hoo!!

im a really bad person
Oh, I don't need the money, it's just such an amazing book.

I could charge the people further down the waiting list to come and look at it?
Stormwhite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As suggested above, scan it in? I really, really wouldn't take it. It undermines the entire point of a library - how would you feel if that had happened just before you got it?
dijay_94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Basically I would say keep it, photocopy/scan the entire book cover to cover, pay the £6 and sell the book IMMEDIATELY. Donate 50% of your profits to your library and keep the rest. The govt. has made huge cuts to local council budgets and libraries are feeling the brunt of it. As a volunteer at a local library I URGE you to atleast have the decency to contribute to your local community if you have been blessed with KNOWLEDGE!

If you're keeping the book indefinately (e.g. a new family heirloom that your great-grandchildren will no doubt one day sell on "Roadshow") Then scan and upload the book onto the internet.

Knowledge not shared is wasted.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I currently have a book from my local county library that I really like. It's rare, it's the only copy at the library, it's taken me two years on the waiting list to get it and it's out of print now - I can't buy it anywhere for less than a ridiculous sum of money.

If you lose a book, the county library service charge you the RRP that's printed on the book. The RRP on this book if £5.99. I'm considering saying that I've lost it, paying the £6 and getting to keep this amazing, rare book. Should I or not?
scumbag.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stormwhite)
As suggested above, scan it in? I really, really wouldn't take it. It undermines the entire point of a library - how would you feel if that had happened just before you got it?
I wouldn't just take it, I would pay the RRP. And I would never have known the wonderous contents of this book, so I imagine I would have been initially disappointed but got over it? :dontknow: Seeing as I forgot I was on the list until I got the letter that would change my life...
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know they don't operate that policy: my mother dropped a book in a similar situation (rare book, out of print, lot of money) into the bath and ruined it, and they just charged the RRP, which was quite a low amount (£10, I think.)
Lucky. Go for it then
JaiiStarh
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I actually 'LOL'd when I read this for some reason!

OP! You just made my day...:biggrin:
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by dijay_94)
Basically I would say keep it, photocopy/scan the entire book cover to cover, pay the £6 and sell the book IMMEDIATELY. Donate 50% of your profits to your library and keep the rest. The govt. has made huge cuts to local council budgets and libraries are feeling the brunt of it. As a volunteer at a local library I URGE you to atleast have the decency to contribute to your local community if you have been blessed with KNOWLEDGE!

If you're keeping the book indefinately (e.g. a new family heirloom that your great-grandchildren will no doubt one day sell on "Roadshow") Then scan and upload the book onto the internet.

Knowledge not shared is wasted.
If I'm going to do that, I may as well just scan it in and give it back. :rolleyes: My intentions behind this are not fiscal, I can simply not imagine how I will live my life parted from this book. I already have family heirlooms.
Elbonian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I currently have a book from my local county library that I really like. It's rare, it's the only copy at the library, it's taken me two years on the waiting list to get it and it's out of print now - I can't buy it anywhere for less than a ridiculous sum of money.

If you lose a book, the county library service charge you the RRP that's printed on the book. The RRP on this book if £5.99. I'm considering saying that I've lost it, paying the £6 and getting to keep this amazing, rare book. Should I or not?
Have you considered photocopying it? It might be a little more expensive but that way you won't beat yourself up for being immoral
Uneschka
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
here's an opportunity for people to read a book they would never be able to afford for free, and you want to take it away from them? I wouldn't do it, precisely because you love the book so much - others will too.
catsss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did that with a neat copy of Le Morte D'Arthur. It had the most badass illustrations, I love it. Not sure what else to say.
flown_muse
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I'm going to do that, I may as well just scan it in and give it back. :rolleyes: My intentions behind this are not fiscal, I can simply not imagine how I will live my life parted from this book. I already have family heirlooms.
What's the ISBN please? I want to look it up.
dijay_94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Inform your library about the rarity of the book and give it back. There's more people in the world who love books!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads