All black suit with white tie OR black suit, white shirt an black tie? For Prom! Watch

Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Err, isn't it black tie? In which case number 2 - black suit (Tux is better), white shirt, black tie (bow tie is better) and lose the waistcoat.
Number 3 looks like something you'd wear to 6th form or work and Number 1 is really tacky and something people on Jersey Shore would wear.
WildBerrySpirit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broken_Circles)
I think 3 is too businessman like. You just need a briefcase and people will be trying to talk to you about their personal injury claims or the APR on their loan. I personally like 2 for a prom. Its a classic.

I agree.

Go for the second one OP.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why not wear a bow tie?

I'd say No.2
Ocassus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by - Major -)
It's for prom so yeah why the hell not? especially if s/he's gonna bust out a limo and the whole prom thing.....
You'd look a bit of a tool imho.
FlamingIceCubez
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go with 1! o:
animalnitrate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Number 3.
MsAnnThropic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go with a *different* black suit, white shirt and black bow tie. That way it's appropriate for other black tie events (which you will have to attend if you work in an office) and you could also wear the suit with a different tie for your actual graduation . Not a fan of the waistcoat - they always make me think of waiters and funerals...

That said, I do like the light grey suit in general, but it's more of a day suit for work really.
- Major -
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ocassus)
You'd look a bit of a tool imho.
Fair enough, your opinion
Everyone has different taste so yeah. It's all good.
Big difference in being a tool and looking like a tool :P
Sicherlich.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If the dress code is black tie, then go for the second one without the waistcoat. The third one looks like a business suit to me, and forget the first one. Who would wear a black shirt with a white tie?
Fields
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What does the dress code actually say? If it says 'black tie', it means a dinner suit and bow tie. If it's just 'smart' you can wear a normal suit but please choose a more colourful tie. If it's 'smart casual' you can lose the tie, and probably the jacket too.

But please do check the dress code, you can't just wear whatever you like to these things.
SQ918
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try this

Refrigerator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't really like black shirts, go for white shirt with grey/black suit and then either a black tie or some sort of fun but classy tie
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by - Major -)
It's for prom so yeah why the hell not? especially if s/he's gonna bust out a limo and the whole prom thing.....
Then he should be at least wearing a proper smoking... (EDIT: I meant a tuxedo ofc)

@TO is that your first suit? If so, why not buy great fitting navy blue PLAIN 2 button suit, white shirt and a basic that, (please NOT in black).

Blue is the most versatile suit you will EVER own. So it is perfect for a first one. It takes you to invertviews, to the office and to prom.

Black, on the other, will only work in formal events like proms and funerals. Gray is also a good choice and will be the second most versatile suit you will ever wear. However, for a first suit I'd definitely go for a dark navy.
domino0806
Badges: 11
Report 7 years ago
You do realise 'black tie' means dinner jacket and bow tie, not an informal suit with a black necktie...
lukas1051
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wore a grey suit to my prom, and I looked pretty hot.
speedbird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by planet)
Graduation Prom soon- thinking to buy a slim fit suit

should I go for:

1.) a black suit, black shirt, black shoes and white tie

OR

2.) a black suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie

OR

3.) Grey suit, white shirt, black shoes and black tie - currently my favourite!

Any suggestions please. [pics below of the ones i mean !]
If you want to look upper class you're doing it wrong. Definitely avoid the first one, it'd make you look like a pimp to say the least.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Ahhh yeah!
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Under no circumstances do the first one :lolwut: Unless you want to be that guy :ninja:

Just do bow tie, black suit and slim brogues (as long as you are also slim obviously).
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
three is hotttttt
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by domino0806)
You do realise 'black tie' means dinner jacket and bow tie, not an informal suit with a black necktie...
If the proms in the UK are like the ones here, he will fit in perfectly in a standard suit. I agree with you, that he should wear a dinner jacket or a smoking, but then not everyone has the money for a smoking. It may even be, that he doesn't even have a suit yet. So investing in a smoking - or a dinner jacket at that - would probably too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (254)
38.84%
No - but I will (45)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
47.09%

Watched Threads