(Original post by zxh800)
To escape reality.
This.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its more interesting than reading things like Jordans autobiography (though you could argue all those autobiographies should be in non- fiction as well)
Stormwhite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sometimes for escapism, but usually because I find it interesting.
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aeterno)
Intentional irony? :holmes:
I actually consider the internet a better thing to do. ):

I do read stuff, it's just not in a book form. :X
battycatlady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because I get engrossed in the character's stories. It distracts you from real life and you get an insight into a world which is fore more action packed than your own. Also sometimes I read something just because it is beautifully written. I read pretty much anything. My favourite types of books to read are thrillers, classic romances and gothic novels.

I like some non-fiction, but generally I find it easier to learn something if i'm watching a show on it
HelpMeI
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To escape reality and just get lost in the words, I write stories myself too
burning-ape
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Escapism.

I saw a study somewhere a week or so ago that stated people who read fiction are generally more empathetic - thought that was quite interesting (and gave me a warm glow inside ^^)

Think it was on life hacker or something.
JunePlum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -honeybee-)
A combination of escapism and literary interest.
This.

imo, fiction is an exciting way to escape reality and fictional novels often create a
sensational imaginative experience that makes them very interesting to read.

Sometimes it can be such a real page-turner that i find it hard to put down the book...
Nonfiction on the other hand...
aeterno
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
I actually consider the internet a better thing to do. ):

I do read stuff, it's just not in a book form. :X
Ahh fair enough 95% of my time on the internet is spent procrastinating...:ninja:
trythisforexample
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To escape the real world. Or to have a laugh.
imomo16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
i dislike fiction because when i read a book i expect to be enlightened; i want to learn facts, ideas, theories that explain the world around me and how i can live within it. works of fiction cannot offer me that.
What? Just because fiction isn't "facts" doesn't mean it's not true.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RoseRequiem)
What about works of fiction that give historical information - such as Sebastian Faulks' 'Birdsong'? I find that some books give a deeper insight as to what the world was like at a particular time, because they are told from the perspective of characters living at that time. Also, the authors put a lot of work into research, which gives some books that added credibility.

I personally read for escapism, as a lot of people have said, and for the intensity of emotions they offer!
nope, still not interested. if i wanted a deeper insight into a particular period of time i would look at a primary historical source from that period. i simply do not have the patience for fiction; when i read i'm looking purely for intellectually reasoned arguments, theories, facts and methods, not someones fictional narrative.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imomo16)
What? Just because fiction isn't "facts" doesn't mean it's not true.
i'm not arguing against works of fiction; I'm simply justifying why i do not like fiction. i'm not interested in created characters and fictional narratives, that is not what i look for in a book. you may think that I'm being narrow but i simply don't have the patience for fiction.
imomo16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i'm not arguing against works of fiction; I'm simply justifying why i do not like fiction. i'm not interested in created characters and fictional narratives, that is not what i look for in a book. you may think that I'm being narrow but i simply don't have the patience for fiction.
I believe that fiction can teach us far more about what it means to be human and live in the world than anything purely factual. I'm sorry you can't see its worth.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe that fiction can teach us far more about what it means to be human and live in the world than anything purely factual. I'm sorry you can't see its worth.
Works of existentialist philosophy are the best at doing precisely that. there are plenty of things that can give us an existential understanding; works of fiction do not have a monopoly on this issue. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that i don't appreciate anything fictional i do watch soaps, TV sitcoms, movies and animated shows; i just don't read novels.
imomo16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Works of existentialist philosophy are the best at doing precisely that. there are plenty of things that can give us an existential understanding; works of fiction do not have a monopoly on this issue. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that i don't appreciate anything fictional i do watch soaps, TV sitcoms, movies and animated shows; i just don't read novels.
Well yes, I was being a little hyperbolic. Fiction meets a need that nothing else is quite up to, though. I can't explain it very well, but I'd urge you to read some proper literature and see if you agree?
Wait, wait, you can waste your time on fictional soap characters but not ones in books? Seems a little perverse to me
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well yes, I was being a little hyperbolic. Fiction meets a need that nothing else is quite up to, though. I can't explain it very well, but I'd urge you to read some proper literature and see if you agree?
Wait, wait, you can waste your time on fictional soap characters but not ones in books? Seems a little perverse to me
no actually, as i've mentioned before on this thread, i'd rather watch TV because it is more visually stimulating than reading a 500 page novel. reading takes a lot more effort than sitting on one's backside and watching a movie; so when i do read i make sure that i learn something very important and relevant, something about history, philosophy, politics or science- to stimulate my intellectual curiosity.
DLJ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zxh800)
To escape reality.
This. It goes for films as well!

And it puts me in the character's shoes, embarking on fantastical adventures which would otherwise never happen to me. This is awesome, whether it be travelling to kill Smaug or destroying Horcruxes, they equally give me an excellent escape from reality. I do like to pretend that Wookies and Jedi exist from time to time .
BalanceCommaGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
nope, still not interested. if i wanted a deeper insight into a particular period of time i would look at a primary historical source from that period. i simply do not have the patience for fiction; when i read i'm looking purely for intellectually reasoned arguments, theories, facts and methods, not someones fictional narrative.
I think that was a bad example, not to offend the person who put it forward, but if you read something actually written in a period it can help you learn about it because you're engaged with it. A slightly staid example might be shakespeare but I understand Victorian society better by reading Dickens than by watching 'From Hell'. (First film set in that period that I thought of...)

i'd rather watch TV because it is more visually stimulating than reading a 500 word novel. reading takes a lot more effort than sitting on one's backside and watching a movie
Reading a 500 word novel would be decidedly easier than watching a film, in terms of time spent :P
imomo16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no actually, as i've mentioned before on this thread, i'd rather watch TV because it is more visually stimulating than reading a 500 word novel. reading takes a lot more effort than sitting on one's backside and watching a movie; so when i do read i make sure that i learn something very important and relevant, something about history, philosophy, politics or science- to stimulate my intellectual curiosity.
Well, if you approach books as a form of entertainment the same as TV, then you'd be right. In my eyes, it's more than entertainment, it's art, and worth the extra effort.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads