What mountain bike should I get TSR ? Watch

sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tface)
DH-Biker knows a lot more than I do but I am fairly sure he will tell you that £100 is not enough to spend on a bike, not by a long way!
So how much should I budget for both new and used bikes?
llamalad200
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sleekchic)
I also have a question. Hope you don't mind.

I'm thinking of getting a bike over summer although it's been at least 10 years since I last rode/owned a bike so I don't really know where to start in terms of type/cost/where to buy it.

I'd rather not spend a lot so around £100 but again I don't know what I should be looking for and how much I should budget towards it. I don't really care if it's used.
go on ebay you could get a second-hand Saracen or another similar type for that price. it won't be brilliant, but it'll do the job if you just wanted to go into town.
f00ddude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if your not goin to use the bike that much theres nothing really wrong with spending 100
just remeber, you wouldnt be able to abuse it, no real off road and so on, and it wont feel as nice as the more expensive bikes + with heavy use they do break fairly easily. the £100 bikes are designed for people who just need a bike for very occasional A-B riding
if you think the bike will get a lot of use, try looking more at £250 or so
tface
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Used bikes, I have absolutely no idea, I would rather have a nice new n shiny one myself For a new bike, the Hardrock in the OP is a great bike, and it is cheap in comparison to a lot of mountain bikes. Hopefully DH-Biker can provide a better answer, I haven't been keeping apace with mountain biking for a while. I assume it is a mountain bike you are after, not a road bike?
sleekchic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by llamalad200)
go on ebay you could get a second-hand Saracen or another similar type for that price. it won't be brilliant, but it'll do the job if you just wanted to go into town.
(Original post by f00ddude)
if your not goin to use the bike that much theres nothing really wrong with spending 100
just remeber, you wouldnt be able to abuse it, no real off road and so on, and it wont feel as nice as the more expensive bikes + with heavy use they do break fairly easily. the £100 bikes are designed for people who just need a bike for very occasional A-B riding
if you think the bike will get a lot of use, try looking more at £250 or so
(Original post by tface)
Used bikes, I have absolutely no idea, I would rather have a nice new n shiny one myself For a new bike, the Hardrock in the OP is a great bike, and it is cheap in comparison to a lot of mountain bikes. Hopefully DH-Biker can provide a better answer, I haven't been keeping apace with mountain biking for a while. I assume it is a mountain bike you are after, not a road bike?
Honestly. I did say that I knew absolutely nothing about bikes. So it's not specifically a mountain bike, it's a bike that gets me around and will be used a lot so I don't mind spending more on it.
tface
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Honestly. I did say that I knew absolutely nothing about bikes. So it's not specifically a mountain bike, it's a bike that gets me around and will be used a lot so I don't mind spending more on it.
If you have plenty of cash, and the slightest desire to get into off road riding, you wouldn't regret buying the hardrock. However, if you are just going to use it to cycle to college/the shops or whatever, it is a bit of a waste of money even if it will last longer and take more punishment than cheaper bikes.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
id reccommend popping down to a bike shop then, have a look at the hybrid bikes and light weight mountain bikes such as the hard rock
it will give you a better idea of prices, types of bike and the staff there can help you out a lot more than anyone online can!
sleekchic
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tface)
If you have plenty of cash, and the slightest desire to get into off road riding, you wouldn't regret buying the hardrock. However, if you are just going to use it to cycle to college/the shops or whatever, it is a bit of a waste of money even if it will last longer and take more punishment than cheaper bikes.
(Original post by f00ddude)
id reccommend popping down to a bike shop then, have a look at the hybrid bikes and light weight mountain bikes such as the hard rock
it will give you a better idea of prices, types of bike and the staff there can help you out a lot more than anyone online can!
I think I'll probably just end up going down to a bike shop (not halfords) and having a look at different bikes.

Thanks.
DH-Biker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think I'll probably just end up going down to a bike shop (not halfords) and having a look at different bikes.

Thanks.
Apologies on taking so long to reply; those who replied have it pretty much dead on.

You've already said it, but allow to stress that Halfords isn't worth it.

Yeah, the bikes are cheap, but the mechanics 99% of the time know very little, warranty and parts services are terrible and they know very little about bikes in general.

Local bike shops (LBS) are the staple source of all "in the know" bikers. Proper technicians, know-how on parts, bikes, kit and maintenance; they are where you go for "the correct" knowledge.

In any case, unless absolutely necessary, avoid Halfords like the plague for bike-related stuff.

Yeah, LBS's will charge more for services (repairs, part changes, etc) but they do it to a greater standard, with trained technicians who know what they are doing through experience, not a quick glance through low-key mechanic manuals.
TheArsenal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As a mountain biker who has does have a deep knowledge in the topic i would highly recommend the Specialized (im not biased, i have never owned one). I have usually seen it rated higher in magazines and having ridden both several times i must say it is a more comfortable ride. If you are spending a decent amount like that then i wouldn't base your decision on looks. Having said that the GT is still a good bike so its up to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads