All Stereotypes are bad, even positive ones? Watch

whyumadtho
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sammynorton90)
Is any kind of stereotype, even a positive one, bad? I feel it is. For example, I saw a thread the other day about Jews being smarter than most people. I'm Jewish myself, but I can assure you I am far from intelligent, and that it is just a stereotype. But some other people were posting on it saying 'Yaay, I'm Jewish, so must be smart' I find it ridiculous. They're fine when the stereotypes are positive, but if it was a negative stereotype they'd get really angry. It's like people who are patriotic about being British and almost take credit for the great things people in British history did, even though it was an achievement they had nothing to do with, then when someone says, what about the bad stuff Britain did in the past, they'll say 'well I'm not personally responsible for that'. Why don't people act as individuals rather than thinking because they belong to a race or religion they possess certain qualities?
I completely agree. There is often exaggeration of negative stereotypes in the minds of people to support some weak prejudice they have against people.
rajandkwameali
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jenny_C)
It's not laziness, it's how the human brain works and not really a matter of "condoning". What are psychologists meant to do? You can't just change how your body works because you don't like it.
I don't think that way. I take everybody as they are and don't group on the basis of supposed/ostensible common traits. Am I not human? A Klingon? A Timelord?
Jenny_C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rajandkwameali)
I don't think that way. I take everybody as they are and don't group on the basis of supposed/ostensible common traits. Am I not human? A Klingon? A Timelord?
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/66/1/37/
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/52/5/871/

Unfortunately it's difficult to find full psychological studies online without paying for them, but I think these abstracts sum up the mechanism pretty well.

I'm sorry you don't like that the brain works this way, but there are so many studies into this area that beg to differ.

Ok, experiment: when I say "Jewish people", what images immediately come into your head? Not complex verbal descriptions, images.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing does, apart from facts about them. Judaism, Hebrew, Moses and perhaps the Holocaust. These are stereotypes, but facts based on their history as a people.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing does, apart from facts about them. Judaism, Hebrew, Moses and perhaps the Holocaust. These are stereotypes, but facts based on their history as a people.
Well I did ask for images, but I can see you're sticking to your guns and never going to give up.

I hope the article abstracts I posted can show you I'm not just making this up to irritate people, and that stereotyping can be automatic as opposed to prejudiced. I don't like it, but I accept it. To not accept it would be like saying "The colour blue offends and appalls me, therefore I'm gonna convince myself the sky's green."

Sorry we couldn't agree on this one.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not a matter of offence. it's that our pop culture society only promotes it. it's a fact that most psychological studies are just the beliefs of psychologists, everybody knows that.
OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone who stereotypes is an idiot.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not a matter of offence. it's that our pop culture society only promotes it. it's a fact that most psychological studies are just the beliefs of psychologists, everybody knows that.
If it's a fact, prove it.
Josh_Dey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

If only this was true... :afraid:
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I try not to stereotype and treat everyone as an individual but ultimately stereotyping is a survival instinct, in its most basic form of course, rather than the ridiculousness it has reached now...

I give you an example of good stereotyping. When I first started at my work I was told that if we saw gypsies pulling into the car park we are to hide the tips tray because they always nick money from it. I thought, thats a bit harsh, not all gypsies are thieves... next time they came in, they nicked drinks from the fridge, next time chocolate from the shelf, I havent experienced any that havent nicked something... so while stereotyping is in general quite ridiculous, it is sometimes necessary, and so long as you only act upon it to protect yourself rather than spread hatred or prejudice, then its ok. (BTW I'm not saying all gypsies nick stuff, just most the ones I've experienced)
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it's a fact, prove it.
most of the stereotypes that pervade modern society are just fluff, like most pop culture concepts. are all gay men camp? are all black men sexual studs? are french people snooty? or germans cold and calculated? Italians good lovers? Japanese people nerdy and good at maths?

The proof is that psychology is built on "studies" to attempt to sway society to some end or another.
Cynthi007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is any kind of stereotype, even a positive one, bad? I feel it is. For example, I saw a thread the other day about Jews being smarter than most people. I'm Jewish myself, but I can assure you I am far from intelligent, and that it is just a stereotype. But some other people were posting on it saying 'Yaay, I'm Jewish, so must be smart' I find it ridiculous. They're fine when the stereotypes are positive, but if it was a negative stereotype they'd get really angry. It's like people who are patriotic about being British and almost take credit for the great things people in British history did, even though it was an achievement they had nothing to do with, then when someone says, what about the bad stuff Britain did in the past, they'll say 'well I'm not personally responsible for that'. Why don't people act as individuals rather than thinking because they belong to a race or religion they possess certain qualities?
because stereotypes help to form identity. they can also help you if you don´t know anything about a country you are going to. at least knowing some stereotypes of let´s say the Americans might help you not to take granted what they say. if you meet somebody and he believes strangely telling you after one day you are the best friend ever and you could also come to his house whenever you wish to and stay as long as you wish to. do not pin them down on it. they said but don´t really meant it.

stereotypes are also helpful because they reveal a lot of the person having them.

some of them are also quite funny so I don´t think they are negative.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cynthi007)
because stereotypes help to form identity. they can also help you if you don´t know anything about a country you are going to. at least knowing some stereotypes of let´s say the Americans might help you not to take granted what they say. if you meet somebody and he believes strangely telling you after one day you are the best friend ever and you could also come to his house whenever you wish to and stay as long as you wish to. do not pin them down on it. they said but don´t really meant it.
so essentially you're excusing and making allowances for laziness.
stereotypes are also helpful because they reveal a lot of the person having them.
Why is that of any relevance? since it tells of persons who cannot exercise their mind properly?
some of them are also quite funny so I don´t think they are negative.
More pop culture bull****.
Cynthi007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so essentially you're excusing and making allowances for laziness.

Why is that of any relevance? since it tells of persons who cannot exercise their mind properly?

More pop culture bull****.
I don´t. I attend the second seminar on stereotypes at university and and you should also keep in mind why they exist and who initiated them by which purpose. stop using words including ****, we are not in the Bronx standing round a burning rubbish bin.

I like stereotypes because some are just so odd and ridiculous, which does not mean that I hold them, too. I laugh at them but of course they are rubbish. every person is an individual. no matte4r from which country. I have a coffee drinking British friend with an accurate taste of fashion. so it is against stereotypes but we laughed about them.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
most of the stereotypes that pervade modern society are just fluff, like most pop culture concepts. are all gay men camp? are all black men sexual studs? are french people snooty? or germans cold and calculated? Italians good lovers? Japanese people nerdy and good at maths?

The proof is that psychology is built on "studies" to attempt to sway society to some end or another.
That's all very well and good, but can you provide a source?

The irony here is that you're trying to say that psychology is based on opinion by giving unempirical assertions as "proof". Find me ONE piece of actual, reputable, published research saying that psychology is all opinion-based and I'll get off your case.
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No smoke without fire? So if I spread a rumour you touched children, and it was spread around and people began to believe it, and when you tried to deny it being true, they could just go 'well there's no smoke without fire'. And like any tool it can only be useful? Not if its a tool created specifically so you can judge people without even knowing them. The only tool around here is you.

And it is a stereotype. I'm forming my opinion on him using only a snippet of information I have, and then grouping him with people who have similar characteristics.
Stereotypes are a bit bigger than rumour, silly pet of mine. However, if people did begin to believe it, it would certainly say a lot about them and me.

And you need to learn to quote better. I believe I said "only so useful" (my italics). We judge people every single day without knowing them based on appearance, tone of voice, accent, dialect, place of origin, etc. As long as people take stereotypes with a pinch of salt then they are fine. For example: all Irish are drunkards. A funny stereotype, but infinitely not true as I myself am tee-total, but it does help explain why I started drinking when I was 6 years old.

It's not stereotyping because you're calling him an idiot, or whatever insult you used, for disagreeing with you and then attempting to create a group out of that to justify your poor usage of the word "stereotyping".
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's all very well and good, but can you provide a source?

The irony here is that you're trying to say that psychology is based on opinion by giving unempirical assertions as "proof". Find me ONE piece of actual, reputable, published research saying that psychology is all opinion-based and I'll get off your case.
These "studies" most likely are promoted by persons desperately seeking to justify their pop-culture derived need to stereotype. The only justifications for stereotyping are via exposure to pop culture sources (magazines and TV shows) that distort people's thinking, or to compensate for intellectual laziness.

For the concept of stereotypes to hold, it must mean that there are biological or social traits that affect all persons in a group equally. This is nonsense, since all human experience is unique.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
These "studies" most likely are promoted by persons desperately seeking to justify their pop-culture derived need to stereotype. The only justifications for stereotyping are via exposure to pop culture sources (magazines and TV shows) that distort people's thinking, or to compensate for intellectual laziness.

For the concept of stereotypes to hold, it must mean that there are biological or social traits that affect all persons in a group equally. This is nonsense, since all human experience is unique.
Yeah, that's not a source, it's just you waffling some more.
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Josh_Dey)

If only this was true... :afraid:
Yes yes yes yes yes-
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, that's not a source, it's just you waffling some more.
waffle is reading celeb magazines and presuming what they say is gospel.

If I choose to think stereotypes are silly and that only people who are mentally limited believe in them, then what of it? Who is to say I cannot?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (256)
39.02%
No - but I will (45)
6.86%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.16%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
46.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed