Report 7 years ago
Thats really sad, I'm sorry to hear about this
EasyA
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm really sorry about your hamster :\

Please don't do something inhumane as the ones others have suggested like killing her and stuff - that'd be really horrible.They deserve to live and die just like our loved ones.

She deserves to die a normal,less painful death.I know you can't afford it but you could perhaps get money from somewhere and pay it back later?
or let her die a natural death

Again,I'm sorry.I bet she lived a happy life with you

It's horrible to see people posting disgusting sad comments on such a sensitive topic here just because she's a pet/animal.
TheGrandmaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How long have you been carrying it?
MariaLloydyz!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EasyA)
I'm really sorry about your hamster :\

Please don't do something inhumane as the ones others have suggested like killing her and stuff - that'd be really horrible.They deserve to live and die just like our loved ones.

She deserves to die a normal,less painful death.I know you can't afford it but you could perhaps get money from somewhere and pay it back later?
or let her die a natural death

Again,I'm sorry.I bet she lived a happy life with you

It's horrible to see people posting disgusting sad comments on such a sensitive topic here just because she's a pet/animal.

I agree with this She would of lived a pretty happy life, But taking it to the vets and charging you money, thats a bit.. annoying.. Like I said Just let it die naturally sorry to hear about the Hamster
elldeegee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by silverbolt)
How the hell can you not have room to bury a hamster - it the size of your palm.

OP your choices are thus
1. keeping it in lots of pain until your regualr vert comes available and will hopefully be cheaper
2. Kill it yourself, snap its neck it will be over very quickly for it and it will be out of pain. Unlike humans we give this kindness to animals
i live in a compplex of flats with no gardens.
elldeegee
Rep:
?
Thanks to everyone who actually tried to help.
My brother saw me post a similar thing as this on Facebook as i had a few people on there who were doing vetenary care.
He rang them up and managed to get me through it using the PDSA, where you only have to pay a donation of the price.
I didn't want to see her going through anymore pain, it wasn't fair on her. So i decided to take her along and "donated" the amount that other people have said they would have charged or had been charged in the past,
£120 was just far too much money, especially when it's just about injecting something into her.

Again, thanks to everyone who tried to help.
acat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So many vets take advantage of the situation, you shouldn't rule out the possibility that it should have been put down before, but your vet wanted to get some money out of you for the painkillers, find a good honest vet and I'm sure they'll do it cheaper.

just bury it in a park or something, or the vet will just say they'll take care of it (bin)
elldeegee
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostbusterbunny)
The £120 was probably emergency call out fees, not normal fees. When you have to call a vet out it's around £60-80 just to get them to come to the center (In our case, the vet lived above the center, but still charged call out fees. Annoying, I know), and they'll up the normal charges for vet care, so £30 to put a pet to sleep turns into £60.

If you can, wait until tomorrow, take her in and let your normal vet do it for you. I'm very sorry, she's so young!

Re: the burying. Do you not have a garden? A yard? Something I've been told quite recently for guinea pig owners is that people who don't have their own garden but do have a yard will bury their pets in ceramic plant pots and plant something nice on top of them, that way you can take her with you if you move. That might be an alternative for you?
oh! that would have been such a lovely idea. But then i don't think my boyfriend would have liked the idea of a dead hamster hanging around, and i understand that too. BEcause i live in a complew of flats, there is nothing but rocks around, there is a small patch of land (and small i mean about 4 square metres) near, but its covered in weeds and rats are known to be around it as it's located near to some very old caves, and didn't want to risk her not being able to rest in peace. maybe OTT sentimentality? but it's just how i felt.

On another note, anyone to have actually ben experiencing this sort of thing. DO NOT WAIT, if you see your hamster is suffering and isnt eating her hard food, dont make the mistake i did and substitute it for soft food for as long as possible. Like someone above said, you never know what may happen. It may be that you have to do the terrible deed on a sunday and bank holiday, and there's nothing more heart-breaking than having to choose between the life of something you love and departing with money that you just don't have.
elldeegee
Rep:
?
(Original post by acat)
So many vets take advantage of the situation, you shouldn't rule out the possibility that it should have been put down before, but your vet wanted to get some money out of you for the painkillers, find a good honest vet and I'm sure they'll do it cheaper.

just bury it in a park or something, or the vet will just say they'll take care of it (bin)
They cremated her. And it would have cost another £30, so the total bill wouldve been £150+
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My daughter's hamster had a really big tumour on its leg, and it was always looking miserable, so I took it to the local vet (one of the Abbeyvets in North London). I expected them to put it down, as my cousin is a vet in Australia, and he said that diagnosis was always by post-mortem. But when I got there, she tipped it out onto the table, and the damned thing started wandering about happily, scratching and doing all sorts of hamster stuff. It couldn't walk properly, but the vet said it wasn't obviously in any pain, so I should leave it, and only come back if it stopped eating. She charged me £8 for some antibiotics and the consult, and said it would have been £25 to put it down in a CO tank.

Anyway, it died quite happily of its own accord a week later.
elldeegee
Rep:
?
Yeah i only ended up taking her because she was sleeping ALL day and had actualyl stopped eating.
username533239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by elldeegee)
Hello, my hamster was recently diagnosed with cancer, and it was very agressive,

it's in her cheek and has grown so big that its pushed her teeth out of whack and so cant eat her normal food, but ive given her baby food and scrambled eggs and eeven used pestel and mortar to mush her nuts up, and she is still rapidly losing weight and looks as though she now has wet tail too.
She seems to have gone for a wee ALOT overnight. i dont know what to do because being bank holiday my vet is closed so i was directed to the emergency line, i just rang them and they said that it'll cost £120 to put her down and and extra £32 to have he cremated because i don't have anywhere to bury her.

Basically i cant afford that much money and there is no way i was expecting any bills to be this high; just to be able to put her under anaesthetic to see what was wrong with her and then with the extra medication for pain relief was near to £50. so please don't respond saying anything like "if you didnt want to pay out so much why get a pet?"

she was perfectly happy hamster and all of a sudden developed a very very agressive cancer, and i was just wondering if paying this much would be considered normal? or is it because i had to ring the emergemency vets with it being a bank holiday today?

If anyone has any place i could go to today in Nottingham that would be great.
Flush it.
Brienza13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by elldeegee)
Hello, my hamster was recently diagnosed with cancer, and it was very agressive,

it's in her cheek and has grown so big that its pushed her teeth out of whack and so cant eat her normal food, but ive given her baby food and scrambled eggs and eeven used pestel and mortar to mush her nuts up, and she is still rapidly losing weight and looks as though she now has wet tail too.
She seems to have gone for a wee ALOT overnight. i dont know what to do because being bank holiday my vet is closed so i was directed to the emergency line, i just rang them and they said that it'll cost £120 to put her down and and extra £32 to have he cremated because i don't have anywhere to bury her.

Basically i cant afford that much money and there is no way i was expecting any bills to be this high; just to be able to put her under anaesthetic to see what was wrong with her and then with the extra medication for pain relief was near to £50. so please don't respond saying anything like "if you didnt want to pay out so much why get a pet?"

she was perfectly happy hamster and all of a sudden developed a very very agressive cancer, and i was just wondering if paying this much would be considered normal? or is it because i had to ring the emergemency vets with it being a bank holiday today?

If anyone has any place i could go to today in Nottingham that would be great.

awwww poor hamsterrrr. i remember when my hamsters died. there my favortite creatures and i love there fat cheeks and chubby furry bodies. If you have the money then pay for it, the cuteness is worth it. i can't stand hamster cruelty, it makes me sick. or any form of animal cruelty. its one rule for humans and another for animals. good luck
RowanO
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MariaLloydyz!)
Hey,
To be honest, I would just let the Animal die naturally. I do animal care at Merrist Wood, But my hamsters died of old age. And I felt really guilty and really upset when my hamster died.
I buryed my hamster..
Whatever you do your going to feel guilty.
Sorry about the hamster.
You would allow an animal to suffer to die naturally? :eek: and to anyone who has suggested some of these inhumane methods I hope you are all joking.

To the OP I am really sorry that you hamster has cancer, and I have probably already missed that you took her to the vet?

If so I am really sorry

For future though can I suggest setting up a vet fund? Whilst those fee's where extortionate due to out of hours fee's, hamsters and other small pets can be very expensive.

In just two days I spent £70 on two of my rats getting ill to get them better, and am looking at a £110 lump removal. However I was fairly lucky in that someone advised me to save a little bit every week/month so that when it happened I would have the cash there.
1994Melissa1994
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I was in your situation then I would let the hamster die naturally ... I'm sorry about the hamster, bless it :/
whispercally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This had happened to me twice and by now I'm guessing it has died. It's a sad thing but I agree with putting them out of their misery. The first time I went to the vet with mine but they said it would not survive and they did it there and then - not sure about costs then. The second time the vet for my horses did it for free. Either way, vets do it nicely by injecting them with something that puts them to sleep - quite peaceful really. I always bury my animals in the garden because they are a part of the family
HollyC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aww I had to put mine down at the end of March, I was absolutely gutted, it had skin cancer and therefore was really suffering at the end, its eyes wouldn't open, its teeth were going all weird because its mouth was falling apart and it stopped eating it was so upsetting. That only cost me 7 pounds though! My boyfriend took it for me as I was at work, so gutting though especially when you know they are suffering

glad you got it to the PDSA and that you managed ot have it cremated,
Jiraiya
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RowanO)
You would allow an animal to suffer to die naturally?
I think you can only tell if an animal is suffering by observing its actions but even then its hard to know what its thinking and know if with certain medication the animals style of life will improve.

And dying naturally is one of the most basic factors of life
RainbowDoll
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
£120 to put a hamster down is ridiculous.
Have you contacted the PDSA? If you know a family member who is claiming housing benefit or child tax credits you could ask them to put your hamster in their name, register with he PDSA and they will probably put her down for free or a very low price. I know it's a bit dishonest but it's better then leaving your pet to suffer or trying to do it yourself and it going wrong.
RowanO
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jiraiya)
I think you can only tell if an animal is suffering by observing its actions but even then its hard to know what its thinking and know if with certain medication the animals style of life will improve.

And dying naturally is one of the most basic factors of life
If old age fine, but when an animal is ill such as this case seeing as it was the one we were talking about you should not leave it to suffer. The hamster had cancer and when it gets to the stage that it is affecting quality of life you put the animal down. We all know what happens when they don't, there are enough animal cruelty cases out there where people have just left it.

As far as I am concerned the least someone can do with there pet is end their suffering humanely even if they can't afford further treatement because leaving it is wrong.

You are right, dying naturally is fine, but there is nothing natural about owning pets so any natural arguement is a mute point. As soon as that animal was bought the person took on all responsibility.

And if we look at it in terms of the law, it is illegal to not seek veterinary treatement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.86%
No - but I will (100)
7.59%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.72%

Watched Threads