OCR - F297: Strategic Management (June 2011) Watch

sloth1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The report from january 2011 is on the ocr website but I have nothing else from it
Im hoping value analysis doesnt come up tomorrow because it was on januarys and i still dont understand it, i completely messed up the question on it in january that completely pulled my mark down.

For evaluation try talking about long term and short term effects there will be and how it will effect production of whatever is being made.
ricky_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wt did u get sloth 1???
sloth1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
a C in that exam, it was only just a C though. I need to get a high B tomorrow to pull my overall grade up otherwise i have no chance of getting into uni D: what about you?
undertaker1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ricky_123)
i remember i spoke to u about f296 in january undertaker! wot did u get? i got an E retaking it 2mrra, ive gt the mark scheme but on paper, u av to gte a teacher to log on to the ocr website
oh yeh i remember i got an C,
i want to get better than this because i dont think i will do that well on f297 lol

what did you get on the other modules??

this paper could go anyway depending on the case study, firstly the case study is very long so i waste alot of time reading it. i also find it difficult to relate it back to the question because ive forgotten bits of the case study which are inportant

the case study in jan 2011 was very difficuly and so was june 2010

hopefully location, batch and flow, quality, contribution come up these are the ones i feel confident with however these hardly ever com up something random comes up like value analysis where you cant relate it back to the case study because you dont understand the case study,

anyone else have the same problem
undertaker1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
how does quality, kaizen and lean production fit together or do they not, the book is so confusing for this
sloth1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isnt kaizen a type of lean production and then lean production links in with quality because its a way of trying to get high quality but by cutting waste....i think
ricky_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yh i am retaking the year cuz i gt abc but i want aab, i gt a b overall in business but want to get an a. i got a in f291 a b in f292 but i av jus retook dat 2 weeks ago, and gt an a in f297, ur b fine wiv f297 , the apt is relli gd for it.
i am relli struggling wiv the optional module for sum reason, i felt as if i linked the case study well in jan but still got an e, nd da case study was about olive oil, i mean it shud b a little bit more practical, u gta study the case study aswell. the topics u jus mentioned r my fav aswell, im jus gna relax for this exam, take one 1 as it cums nd plan carefully, i will probly make notes on the business such as its objectives nd problems nd strenghts nd then answer q'ns. i reckon break even won *** up again 2 years in a row so the maths will b stock control figures or contribtion, i jus hope the case study is easy to relate to
sloth1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you think anything about laws will come up, ive never seen them yet and havnt spend alot of time on anything to do with constraints, or research and development, i dont even know what that is. Any of you's know?
ricky_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if laws wud *** up, it wud b a 10 marker and most likely health and safety cuz dts wt u can relate production to, jus write fings bou costs of business as they av to train people nd av to take time out to train, beneifts will b gives a gd image and increase confidence in workers and motivates em cuz they feel safer

contraints i wud alwys say pest, political economical social nd tech, so stuff lyk recession, laws

r and d, is all about gaining competitive edge, costs are that research duznt guantee success nd uva firms can copy ur research, advantages r u work out ways to cut costs nd waste and also u r ahead of ur competitors, hope dt helps pal
sloth1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah it did cheeers, ive only just realised i havnt looked at half the spec. i am screwed.
have you done any practice questions or anything?
undertaker1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I reckon one of the questions will be contribution calculation and then evaluating whether a new order should be accepted by the business
Here talk about contribution costing and discuss capacity utlisation or being Able to benefit from economies of scale or maybe potential further orders etc
What does everyone think

Btw what ur exam technique how do u answer the question and how much do u evaluate as opposed to analysis
undertaker1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ricky go on OCR website and also look at examiners report really helpful
ricky_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yh cheers undertaker ive read it and i realised.... u knw the question about quality control, i must av wrote 2 pages about wt methods he can use where as i shud of sed wt hes doin in the present time, i fink dts my problem, cuz dis is a bogey paper, i tend to answer a qestion i wud like rather than wts in frnt of me but 2mrra il b reading the qn very carefully nd planning.

my approach is define the key term, nd then i say the pro and cons if each point i make nd then give my own opinion, one fing i av learnt frm the report is long term short term evaluating is vital, i didnt realise dat nd didnt add dat to my answers. but 2mrra il read the c.s and ill make a plan about it, wt is the business its products, its objectives, strenghts and weakness, i dnt knw whether to make all these notes in my answer book or on scrap paper! to evry point i make i do alwys say hw it cud b a drawback, hopefully il overcome this bogey paper 2mrra lol
ricky_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
didnt mean to blank you sloth 1.... i dont actually do the papers, i look at the markscheme and study them relli, c wot answers they lookn for nd stuff, i dont feel dis is maths where past papers will help but past answers will do, knowledge is vital i spose. i reckon theres alwys gna b question regarding anohter country lyk undertaker will know the last qn in jan about germany and stuff, wt wud u write? nd wts bad about contribution costing... only fing is it duznt take into account fixed costs isnt it? nefin else
sloth1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Was that the one about olive oil? I think i ended up blagging about language barries or something, i dont even know
Contruibution costing presumes prices always stay the same so makes it less reliable because they always change
it doesnt show you how much one product actualy makes
ricky_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
off for an early nap, good luck to sloth 1 and the undertaker, u betta get the grades u want and sound for the help
fakebarbiegirl
Report 7 years ago
You could say how it might increase demand, depending on what the question says, if it's something about objectives you could say that it may motivate the staff and increase morale as they may feel that they have something to work towards. You could also use increase brand awareness, competitive advanatage over competition, and suggest what the business could do with any excess capital that they may recieve from an investment, or by setting an objective or whatever it is that the question is asking. Hope this helps.
Katherine911
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to write the strategy questions? I cannot not write one to save me life, and scared that it will come up in the exam! I don't understand the difference between suggesting things BPL could do to achieve their objectives, and a strategy they should use, I thought they were the same! Thanks
sloth1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Katherine911)
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to write the strategy questions? I cannot not write one to save me life, and scared that it will come up in the exam! I don't understand the difference between suggesting things BPL could do to achieve their objectives, and a strategy they should use, I thought they were the same! Thanks
From what i gather, you have to write about 2 things that link together to make BLP better. I think it will come up to and ive never actually done a question on it so i am DREADING it. I thought suggesting things were part of the strategy too
AndSparkles
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Erm... this might sound really stupid, but what the hell is apt analysis? I'm sure I've never learnt it.

And this is def for the exam on Wed about Belvoir Park?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads