What's it actually like to be a student at Bangor? Watch

Buttercup2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
* What's the atmosphere like on campus?
Friendly, I felt very safe there, heard hardly ANYTHING on crime. It was just pure fun! Although your flat mates play a big part on the atmosphere in the flat itself. I had 2 people who spoke little english, 4 eccentrics and my boyfriend haha. We were often adopted into my friend's flat

* What's the student union like?
I didnt bother with societies or anything but I think most societies have a night out every week. In bars and clubs there is often a different type of night every night, altho in some places they keep it the same. Dont rely on the student union too much, you can always arrange themed nights/pub golf etc etc yourself.

* What are halls like?
The halls are all practically the same and I would assume the 'reputations' would change year after year. The older ones are less... luxury, I think. Stay out of the cleaners way when she comes in or expect a dirty look :P my flat merged with one about 2 mins away, in my experience the block of flats rarely mix together, each side/floor keeps to themselves.

* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body?
Octogon - not much choice there.
Freshers go to Rascals unaware, by the end of the year you would probably want to avoid it.
Varsity is very popular but also popular with the local 18-20's.
My house often go to Spoons, but a pub crawl is very common!
dottie_lottie_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Again there's not much of a campus in the usual sense. If you're like me then all you'll be up on college road for most of your lectures as its got a lot of the uni buildings there & the mian arts building which has the main library. Its pretty chilled out for the most part. The uni has been rather good at giving students places in these buildings to sit chat, or do a bit of work.

* What's the student union like?

When it comes to clubs and societies its brilliant. I belong to a sports club & we have nights out every week (these aren't compulsory). Often you will have themes, we have a something different each week. Its brilliant fun.
The SU offices themselves have proven rather helpful. Learning support/dyslexic centre are fantastic & are always willing to help you out. They're also lovely people.

*What are halls like?

Most people love halls, me not so much but only because I had issues with flat mates but its very easy to spend little time in halls. The buildings themselves are alright. The older ones seem to have less problems than the new ones when I was there. Certain halls are reserved for quieter students. Normal site has a much closer feel than ffridd as they are set out differently than most buildings on ffridd. I lived on ffridd, the security guys are brilliant. However the halls office tend to take there time in helping you.

* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body?

Personally my favourite places are Paddys (very cheap for vodka) & fat cats. Fat cats is expensive but if you got at certain times its 2 for 1 cocktails & they are gorgeous! Paddys has a very laid back feel for the most part, unfortunatly its rather small though so you can't always find seat.
The main nightclub is Occy/Glitterball. Undergrad on fridays is a favourite with a lot of people. However we have 2 knew clubs opening in september which will be good, going to the same place every week can get a bit tiresome.
Rascal's is also a student favourite, I'm not a massive fan but if you can get a seat its not too bad.
jacques93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dottie_lottie_)
However we have 2 knew clubs opening in september which will be good
What are these new clubs
dottie_lottie_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jacques93)
What are these new clubs
There's one opening in the old post office building:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Ni...52133941468934

There's also the new SU club in the Robinson building. We've not been given dates for the opening yet but their meant to be in September.
jacques93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah everyone's saying September but no one in sure!
But this new 'mailbox' looks rather posh
welshmun
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jo Caulfield and Adam the person leading the project has stated that the SU Robinson building will be open for Fresher's Week 2011 and I'm sure this "Mailbox" would be fools to not open for one of Bangor's biggest nights ^^
hannmatt92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This Mailbox place sounds rubbish, who on earth would say 'We are going to mailbox' name is utterly wrong. Just no. As for the SU venue I think it should be called something sciency like 'Omega' due to its location on the science site.
ghostgirl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by weusedtowait)
If you go to Bangor, would you be able to answer these questions? I'd be really grateful!

* What's the atmosphere like on campus? (Loud, quiet, friendly, lively, peaceful, has a community feel, people keep to themselves etc.)
* What's the student union like? Do they constantly arrange different events or not, and would you say that the union is a big part of the majority of students' social lives or not?
* What are halls like? Do different halls have different reputations, and if so, what are they? Do they have an atmosphere of everyone mixing together, or do people keep to themselves?
* Which are the local haunts and hangouts for the student body? (The ones which are most popular.)

I am just about to start my second year and I love Bangor. I'm so glad I picked it and I've had so much fun in my first year and met so many lovely people. Campus is all very friendly, and when it snowed last year the whole campus had a massive snowball fight, as good fun.

I wouldn't say the student union was fab but they had a lot of moving around last year so hopefully it'll be better this year now they have a permenant base and new nightclub.

I think all the halls are the same, they don't really have different personalities. Though to me ffraw was the hall where the fire brigade was always going, elidir was a bit of a party hall and y glyder (where i lived) did have a problem with leeks and in the hall way (but that should all be fixed this year)

My personal fav hangouts are rascals which is nr morrisons and the menai for a quite drink or karaoke. Other then that I found that most students find there own entertainment on site.
dottie_lottie_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hannmatt92)
This Mailbox place sounds rubbish, who on earth would say 'We are going to mailbox' name is utterly wrong. Just no. As for the SU venue I think it should be called something sciency like 'Omega' due to its location on the science site.
I like the name mailbox coz it makes sense anything's better than the names of the other clubs in Bangor, I also used to work in a post office back home so that makes me like it more. Will be interesting to see what they name the SU club, still will never be as good as Time though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bangor University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
  • Bangor University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads