Does exeter have a good gay community? Watch

dbmag9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jammythedodger)
Just to say apparently "queer" really isn't socially acceptable in England any more (not that stops my parents referring to gay people like that haha).
It's been reclaimed as a general word to describe anyone not heterosexual or cisgendered; for instance Queer Youth Network is one of the bigger LGBT youth organisations. That said, I do know people who aren't happy identifying as 'queer', so it is still a word to be careful with.

EDIT: Apparently three months is enough for me to completely forget I'd said most of that in more detail above. Look at the first few responses for more on 'queer'.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Will Young studied Politics at Exeter. The thing is, he's probably swanning around London or Miami now.
coolmushroom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard queers aren't allowed in the city of Exeter.
ChocoboFez
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boby123)
Well I'm not sure if I'm gay but i'm curious and willing to experiment and I'm just wondering is exeter the university good for gay or curious people and what about the town?
So my friends have all been involved in the LGBTQ (Can't forget the Q) society this year and from what I've seen they all seem like a vivacious and lovely set of characters.

However I did hear from one of them that they found the central group in the society a bit distant and cliquey at times, whether that was because they were their own friendship group or what but she didn't really like that they'd go off and have their own socials and stuff.

But for certain the group have a regular lunch on campus every week and all my LGBTQ friends look forward to it and say it's one of the funnest/oddest things that happens in their week and from there they arrange other stuff like they did some movie nights together and a number of times they went out on clubbing nights that usually ended up in Vaults, the Exeter gay club (yep, there is one. XD) They also do stuff like monopoly parties if that's not your cup of tea. (And oh god, what I heard about one of the monopoly parties...)

But yeah, they're a really random and fun bunch and if you click with them then I'm sure they'll help you have an amzing time at Exeter.

Oh and it's one of those ones where they're really welcoming with everyone, whether you're a little bi-curious (Or rather Questioning, what the Q stands for...), asexual, or very definately gay.

P.S

Oh, and forgot - the town isn't too bad most of the time but I'd be careful being LGBTQ and going out around the town centre Fri-Sun late nights; it's when the locals are out and plastered and can be a bit intimidating. While my friends were waiting for me a chav shouted at one of them about being a hippy and even as a group on main roads we've had stuff randomly shouted from passing cars. But saying that those were two incidents over a year and you can trust me in Exeter being a lot safer than most other cities due to it's small size. XD
JoCB
Report 7 years ago
Exeter is not as openly gay friendly as places like Brighton, but there is a very friendly community and there is an annual Pride Festival in the spring: http://www.exeterpride.co.uk/
Student070707
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My friend from exeter is gay and he never seems to feel insecure or out of place in exeter. He didn't join the society because he didn't fancy getting stereotyped but always seems to meet gay guys with relative ease
PagesandPerfume
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello everyone

Are there any freshers this year that are LGBTQ?
I feel sort of like the 'only gay in the village' (Birks variety! lol)

It would be nice to know there are others...

Have a great week!!
awh204
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Exeter's LGBTQ is open to all (there's even straight people that attend! And gasp, one 'breeder' was even on the committee here ) The 'Q', incidentally, in Exeter's LGBTQ society, stands for 'Queer, Questioning', so as someone who is curious, you'll certainly be welcomed!

Regarding the night-life, there's only really the Vaults bar (it's not exactly massive, but it's fun to go to, nonetheless), and a Wednesday event at the Rococos club called 'Midweek Mince'!
awh204
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PagesandPerfume)
Hello everyone

Are there any freshers this year that are LGBTQ?
I feel sort of like the 'only gay in the village' (Birks variety! lol)

It would be nice to know there are others...

Have a great week!!
I'm not a fresher (I'm on my fifth year at Exeter, starting my PhD), but I'm also in Birks Grange village! So, yeh, we gays are everywhere
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads