70% of "African Americans" have White ancestry Watch

Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HEJ92)
It would have been a generalisation, slaves could have fallen in love with people who treated them well.
True. By definition slaves are being forced to work, but that doesn't necessarily mean their masters didn't give them any choices.

I saw an episode of Who Do You Think You Are a while ago (or a similar show) and they were looking into the ancestry of a black guy (can't remember who it was, he does some kind of sport I think). They traced his family back to the Carribean and one of his ancestors was a white land owner who had a child with his black maid. I think this was after slavery was stopped. He assumed that it was pretty dodgy and that he raped her. But the historian said that actually they probably had quite a good relationship, and at the time it was considered an honour for a servant to have their master's child. And the child would have been quite well cared for and sent to school, etc. even if they weren't necessarily considered part of the family.

That situation seems pretty weird today, but apparently quite normal back then.
So I am
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Selkarn)
I found this very surprising.. it's a really interesting read.

http://www.enotes.com/interracial-relationships-article

From Muhammad Ali to Rosa Parks to Malcolm X to Martin Luther King Jr etcetc

Makes me proud to be part-Irish, Irish people are everywhere and Irish genes are in so many people, lol.
I don't think that's possible,

where did you get this data ?
canimakeit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not necessarily.
The vast majority of cases would have been rape, for many that weren't it would have been due to non-choices like "sleep with me and I will get you that medicine your child's sick with" and things along those lines. They certainly didn't see them as equals.
umarrehman187
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
false

i think its your white guilt of what your white ancestors did do not worry we know white people are nice lol
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HEJ92)
It would have been a generalisation, slaves could have fallen in love with people who treated them well.
lmao
Selkarn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by canimakeit)
The vast majority of cases would have been rape, for many that weren't it would have been due to non-choices like "sleep with me and I will get you that medicine your child's sick with" and things along those lines. They certainly didn't see them as equals.
Erm, no, that's prostitution, not rape.

To be honest it seems like virtually every girl is a "prostitute", to some extent.. no matter how fat, ugly or obnoxious you are, you can always go to a very poor country and get an absolute babe of a wife. Even in the richest countries in the world, the richest guys are seen as the most attractive. It's not rape :rolleyes:
Selkarn
Rep:
?
(Original post by umarrehman187)
false

i think its your white guilt of what your white ancestors did do not worry we know white people are nice lol
What's false?
Selkarn
Rep:
?
(Original post by So I am)

You can see it in the link I posted in the very post that you quoted..
thecat23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I found this very surprising.. it's a really interesting read.

http://www.enotes.com/interracial-relationships-article

From Muhammad Ali to Rosa Parks to Malcolm X to Martin Luther King Jr etcetc

Makes me proud to be part-Irish, Irish people are everywhere and Irish genes are in so many people, lol.
Why are you surprised? Most black people from ALL the americas have European ancestry due to slavery. look at all the different ranging colours in western black people, that's enough to hint at white ancestry.

Even some of the famous poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning's family were mixed with black ancestry.

Haven't you heard of slavemasters raping slave women? therefore, whiteness in african american people wasn't really anything down to choice - more down property.

LOOOL irish is so common, especially in the west indies, due to the british taking them over there after slavery to use as indentured servants (especially convicts), who then mixed with the black population. There's even a story that a ship full of irish men ended up accidently shipwrecked on jamaica, and then mixed with the people. That's why loads of jamaicans (including my grandad) loved up their guinness

There's also the Jamaican accent, which has been heavily influenced by the irish one. They both pronounce their 'th's' as 'da' e.g. instead of 'the' and 'three,' they both say 'da' and 'tree'
Paxdax
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ussumane)
lmao
Stockholm Syndrome

But I agree. lmao.
thecat23
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by So I am)

Why don't you think it's possible? Most people (black people) know this anyway.
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HEJ92)
Homeboy been watching too much Song of the South.
Selkarn
Rep:
?
(Original post by JCC-MGS)
Homeboy been watching too much Song of the South.
I just saw your sig, what's your view on guns?
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just saw your sig, what's your view on guns?
I don't think people should keep guns.
Selkarn
Rep:
?
(Original post by JCC-MGS)
I don't think people should keep guns.
Do you think the government should restrict guns? Do you think the government should restrict people from owning certain types of gun such as handguns? Do you think the government should have huge red-tape surrounding gun ownership, restricting their availability to the poorer classes?
Selkarn
Rep:
?
(Original post by HEJ92)
Girls seem to like being submissive anyway.. sexually, at least
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.4%
No - but I will (66)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (401)
47.46%

Watched Threads