Budget Gaming PC? Watch

O'Donovan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
Then you wasted your money...

A monster relative to what the vast majority of people have. A PC capable of playing anything thrown at it.
Anything today? And at what settings? And what about the size of screen you're feeding it to? And how many screens? Also; I'd expect a monster to be somewhat future compatible(although today that's becoming harder and harder).

And I don't feel I've wasted my money. It's down to perspective. Some people think buying a £60k car is "wasting your money", considering a car is just a vehicle to go from A to B...
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At Maximum settings at 1080p, for instance. Just the one monitor, mind. Obviously it is possible to build faster machines, but anybody not used to picking up the latest hardware on every refresh would be suitably amazed. Most people have been limited to factory produced crap for their entire lives.

I know what you mean about the wasting money point. I have long grown out of my fervent upgrading and spending every half year, I keep PC for at least a year now. I've been building, overclocking, selling and advising people on PCs for ten years now (since I was eleven), and I am finally settling into knowing about the latest technology without needing to own it.

As for future proofing, I do not believe in it. By the time technology has truly made your PC redundant, it will be cheaper to start again than bodge in parts that don't really belong.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by O'Donovan)
As I said before I recon you'd need at least a Phenom II or decent i5 processor, which I guess is pretty average now, but not something just any PC could handle. A lot of PCs still come with core 2 duo which I doubt, in fact from experience know, cannot run WOW all too well. I would suggest you check out this thread on the subject, you'll find WOWs engine has got a lot more PC heavy.

Put it this way, I run in ultra with a Phenom II X4 and even I don't get very good fps any more, bear that in mind.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
As I said before I recon you'd need at least a Phenom II or decent i5 processor, which I guess is pretty average now, but not something just any PC could handle. A lot of PCs still come with core 2 duo which I doubt, in fact from experience know, cannot run WOW all too well. I would suggest you check out this thread on the subject, you'll find WOWs engine has got a lot more PC heavy.

Put it this way, I run in ultra with a Phenom II X4 and even I don't get very good fps any more, bear that in mind.
Hmm you could be right.
I haven't played it since pre-Lich King days...
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)

My Computer set me back just shy of £2000, I still can get problems with WoW in Raid situations, my Avg FPS in normal play will be about 300, but then dropping below 100 on 25 mans. Fact is anyone claiming you can run WoW on just about anything, is just simply not true if you want to make the most of the game, without a fairly reasonable midrange PC nowadays Raids and BG's will be unplayable.

My personal favourite comments to laugh at are the ones, "Oh you just need a better GPU" if the CPU is cack but youve got the best GPU on the market, you may still have problems running a game, because the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iainvg)
My personal favourite comments to laugh at are the ones, "Oh you just need a better GPU" if the CPU is cack but youve got the best GPU on the market, you may still have problems running a game, because the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.
Well no ****! But game and graphical applications tend to be far more reliant on the GPU; generally its much easier for the CPU's supply to be superfluous to the GPU's demand though; hence why just changing the graphics card for most people will make a HUGE difference. Just like RAM can eventually bottleneck the other components; but nowadays RAM is so fast; even my fairly old 4gb of DDR2 at 800mhz can't bottleneck my radeon 5870 or i7 processor.

So it's not really a laughable comment to be honest. Unless said computer was a Commodore 64. But yeah; Blizzard has made the game very scalable to older systems; hence why most people don't consider it a very intensive game when we compare it to modern standards. I mean no GPU intensive features like directx11 features to handle; Tessellation, SSAO or anything like that.
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by O'Donovan)
Blizzard has made the game very scalable to older systems; hence why most people don't consider it a very intensive game when we compare it to modern standards. I mean no GPU intensive features like directx11 features to handle;
Cataclysm enabled use of dx11.

EDIT: also DDR2 on an i7? yeah, try again.

Before my current machine I had an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB DDR2 RAM and a single 5870, when i upgraded the motherboard ot one which would accept DDR3 i added the same amount of RAM and got an avg increase in framerates of 20fps, so yes ddr2 WILL bottleneck a 5870. However, it is irrelevant when applied to a game like WoW which is almost entirely CPU based, dont believe that? go look it up. the better the CPU, the better it will run.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iainvg)
Cataclysm enabled use of dx11.

EDIT: also DDR2 on an i7? yeah, try again.

Before my current machine I had an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB DDR2 RAM and a single 5870, when i upgraded the motherboard ot one which would accept DDR3 i added the same amount of RAM and got an avg increase in framerates of 20fps, so yes ddr2 WILL bottleneck a 5870. However, it is irrelevant when applied to a game like WoW which is almost entirely CPU based, dont believe that? go look it up. the better the CPU, the better it will run.
Sure it was the RAM that made the difference? The only time I've ever see it make a big difference was on a synthetic benchmark.
number_25
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can build a very good computer on a limited budget no problem.
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MattA147)
Probably Napoleon Total War and maybe Dawn Of War 2 but would you be able to tell me a computer so I can research it, I would like the computer to be able to run the games smoothly and hassle free with some day to day computer use as well as gaming thanks
Napoleon's rubbish - get Total War: Shogun 2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.48%
No - but I will (62)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise