The **** is this moth business? Watch

Willum Infanta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by The Mothman)
I completely detest moths. I kill them any chance i get.
Ironically i was given my nickname the mothman without anyone knowing this.
Using my sisters copy of Twilight Breaking Dawn (massive hardback fyi) to completely flatten them...probably thing they're good for.

(Original post by mevidek)
what type of ben and jerry's?
Caramel Chew Chew :sogood:
Baula
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Willum Infanta)
I just came out of my bedroom, went downstairs to get something to eat (Ben & Jerry's for those wondering) and when I went into the kitchen there was ton of these moths flyin aboot the place, I'm not scared by them (in fact I said "Come at me bro" to one of them before It nearly flew into my mouth) but does anyone know why they're here and how to get rid of them?

tl;dr - Moth ******ry ****storm in kitchen...how can I kill/remove them?
They always see me coming and fly away as I try to remove them :mad:
I've learned that to get them from my room if I leave my bedroom door open, turn the hall light on and my bedroom light off, they'll happily fly out out and become someone else's problem :cool:
Cheshire_Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
Oh I agree. They do look a bit evil close up, but so do all bugs really. It's weird, I don;t like most creepy crawlies, but moths and butterflies are nice And I quite like bumblebees aswell. I think it's just soft, harmless looking things really.

N'awwr, you're not a freak, I know loads of people who hate moths.

I'll tell you who is weird though. I had a friend that hated moths and butterflies, but wouldn't kill butterflies because they were too pretty.
Haha well that's good then, I'm the only person I know who hates moths! Suppose it's a good thing as they can catch it while I run away and hide

Lol that isn't that weird. For some reason I don't mind butterflies but hate moths. I couldn't kill one of those massive moths either because I'd be left with a huge, pretty, yet scary corpse :|
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pippa90)
Haha well that's good then, I'm the only person I know who hates moths! Suppose it's a good thing as they can catch it while I run away and hide

Lol that isn't that weird. For some reason I don't mind butterflies but hate moths. I couldn't kill one of those massive moths either because I'd be left with a huge, pretty, yet scary corpse :|

Ohh, and they can leave a big mess if you spalt them Had to once for a friend when there wasn't really anything about to catch it with. Glad I didn't have to clean that up :cool:
Cheshire_Cat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay I must admit that this moth is cute

It looks like a small mammal!
Blueflare
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hate moths!

I either don't open the window, open it a little way, or open it but keep the curtains closed so there's less light to attract them/at least they're trapped behind the curtain if they do come in.

It gives me chills when they fly and stupidly bump into you. Especially when they fly into my face. Eurgh the memory of the feel of them touching my skin makes me retch!
Cheshire_Cat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Ohh, and they can leave a big mess if you spalt them Had to once for a friend when there wasn't really anything about to catch it with. Glad I didn't have to clean that up :cool:
Oh I know It's sickening!
RabbitCFH
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hit them hard with a slipper. They'll easily fall on the floor, then finish them and clean.
mevidek
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Willum Infanta)
Caramel Chew Chew :sogood:
I'm more of a Cookie Dough, Half Baked and Chocolate Fudge Brownie person myself :drool:
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay I must admit that this moth is cute

It looks like a small mammal!

N'awwwr
ella37
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As much as I hate bugs and other flying little critters, I tend to just catch them in a cup or (in my case) a food container and then throw them out of the window.
Spraying them with a little freshener or disinfectant would help confuse them, hence making them easier to catch.

A tad time-consuming, but hey, if in the future, the insects ruled, I might have a chance at surviving for not killing every single one that I encountered.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Last August I went to a summer house on the Cornish peninsula, and there was literally a huge moth every night. They made such an annoying flickering sound whenever they hovered over surfaces.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moths are alright, really. In Kent we occasionally get vagrant hummingbird moths from France and they're amazingly beautiful and acrobatic.

Best way to get 'em is, as with any lightweight insect, one of those insect "vacuums" that let you suck them up and pop them out the window. Failing that get a big jar or jug with a flat top and a textbook, and wait for them to land. Remember, the moth is probably bloody petrified and stressed out because it doesn't know what the hell is going on.

As for why they're around, it's breeding season for insects (and everything else!)

I've come to appreciate insects more in general in the last few months - I'm even not totally petrified at the sight of spiders any more. We found caddisfly larvae building nests in our bog pond the other day and it was great to watch them swim about building their intricate shelters. If we didn't have insects we would all be very, very dead and the world would be a barren wasteland.
Cheshire_Cat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

N'awwwr
OMG WOW! It looks like an alien, battenberg cake, fluffy thing! haha What are they called?
i.am.lost
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I retreat and evacuate the nearby vicinity for as long as possible when this happens.
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OMG WOW! It looks like an alien, battenberg cake, fluffy thing! haha What are they called?
Uhh, a Rosy Maple Moth I think
popdrops
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kerily)
Are they behemoths? :awesome:
Man, I HOPE SO. :ahee:
Cheshire_Cat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Uhh, a Rosy Maple Moth I think
Haha they are pretty amazing! And that's coming from someone who has a phobia of them :| lol
Willum Infanta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Best way to get 'em is, as with any lightweight insect, one of those insect "vacuums" that let you suck them up and pop them out the window.
Ohh that's such an awesome idea! I don't have one though...only a Henry vacuum
BigFudamental
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Everyone knows that the only way to fight moths is with more moths. /thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads