Countries you were disappointed about Watch

Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Middle East in general... I'll go back when I'm richer.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Kathmandu (and to an extent just large urban areas in less developed countries, such as Bangkok). Don't get me wrong, they can be absolutely great when the chaos and animals and tuk-tuks are new to you, but i spent a long time in and near Kathmandu and actually had to do stuff there. Looking at them objectively: it is slow to get anywhere, dirty, smelly (exceptionally so in places), crowded, dangerous, lacking in facilities, hot, you have the stress of having to barter for everything and knowing that no matter how hard you do bargain you are probably getting a far worse deal because you are white, polluted, often far from pretty... the list goes on.

You can hide away in the touristy areas, but that is not the actual city and not what i am referring to. Even the very bustling chaotic khao san road is actually very well maintained and far better than the actual city.

Then again, i don't exactly like places like London either so maybe i'm exceptionally resentful of my experiences there! (and btw the rest of Nepal and Thailand - amazing. absolutely recommend them).
Mr. Orange
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
why are those two bimbo looking asian girls so prominent on TSR sigs this morning
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
I don't where you went in the Middle East!! The vast majority of countires you can live on basically nothing and have a fantastic time!
AP1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 4TSR)
Dubai - Has no culture, no history and it's just hot and the only thing worth seeing was the nice buildings.....
This. A million times this. If you want a real Middle Eastern experience go to one of the 'real' States.
ForensicShoe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Somalia wasn't all it's hyped up to be.
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Orange)
why are those two bimbo looking asian girls so prominent on TSR sigs this morning
Lol this other dude decided his sig was fail and put them in there as well :sigh: There's only two people with them though, perhaps we just post lots

(Original post by beefmaster)
I don't where you went in the Middle East!! The vast majority of countires you can live on basically nothing and have a fantastic time!
Don't get me wrong it's cheaper than Europe but still a lot more expensive than I thought. I wanted to be spending like £15 a day but ended up spending something ridiculous like £25. I also got ill, A LOT, I suppose all the unhygienic cold food (wraps) weren't good for my stomach. The only place I can safely say I enjoyed completely was Jordan but I wasn't there that long!
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tesphena)
I travelled to France in the hope of dispelling the myth that French people are surly, arrogant, and offish. I failed.

Having said that, they didn't smell. So that's one thing.
I think this depends on where you go in France. Whenever I go it's to the extreme north rather than the very touristy parts, and I have not met a rude Frenchman yet!
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AP1989)
This. A million times this. If you want a real Middle Eastern experience go to one of the 'real' States.
(Original post by 4TSR)
Dubai - Has no culture, no history and it's just hot and the only thing worth seeing was the nice buildings.....
I don't know what you guys were expecting from a city that has pretty much been built in the last decade. I mean, you expected history and culture? Really?
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't like Barcelona very much. I haven't been to anywhere else in Spain though.
beefmaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
L

Don't get me wrong it's cheaper than Europe but still a lot more expensive than I thought. I wanted to be spending like £15 a day but ended up spending something ridiculous like £25. I also got ill, A LOT, I suppose all the unhygienic cold food (wraps) weren't good for my stomach. The only place I can safely say I enjoyed completely was Jordan but I wasn't there that long!
Wow that is a lot of money. Here in Egypt I think I live on about £5 a day for everything!
senator88
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Paris/France - thought the french were incredibly rude and arrogant and just did not get a nice 'feel' off the city. We went to disney land there as well, rubbish! stick to florida
py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Denmark and Sweden. They were both cold, dull, grey and utterly miserable. The prices were eyewateringly ridiculous (£9 a pint and £20 for a burger) and without exception the people were breathtakingly rude and unfriendly. Apparently the Danish for "excuse me" is an elbow in the ribs.

Curious fact: the Danish celebrate New Years Eve by firing fireworks at each other and the police. I saw two middle aged women bleeding from being hit in the face. Nobody appeared to give a ****.
saaail
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Visiting India was a thoroughly disappointing experience for me. I'd heard so many amazing things about the culture there, seen so many photographs of colourful people walking down colourful streets and had expected my trip to be a wonderful romanticised whirlwind. But reality hit, hard, within a few days. I've never felt so uneasy and unsafe, it was really shocking how different life is there.

The historic elements of India were amazing, and I can't deny that there are some beautiful landscapes.. but looking upon the present was just awful. People often attack me for being unsympathetic towards the poverty in India, but that's exactly why I didn't like it. Poverty was everywhere, it was brutal.

Also, a one-eyed man shoved his hands down my pants whilst holding me underwater for several minutes. That adds to my not-so-nice memories of the trip, really...

Conversely, I visited Thailand a few years before and loved every minute of it! I stayed in rural areas throughout my trip and although it's unfair to compare two such different countries, it's the only other Eastern culture I can relate to.. Society seemed entirely different, poverty and all :rolleyes:
Ewan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beefmaster)
Wow that is a lot of money. Here in Egypt I think I live on about £5 a day for everything!
Do you speak Arabic? Cairo is quite cheap but I spent a lot there as well. Mostly I find the problem is that Arabs try to con foreigners, they charge them very high prices. I tried to bargain with them my entire time over there, often just walking away when the price was too high but they'd rarely budge. While this may happen in most Asian countries at least they will actually bargain with you and not let you walk away.

This is especially the case at tourist sites, they know you're a captive audience. I remember being at a site in Luxor where I was dying of thirst but I wouldn't let myself pay like £2 for some water because it was just ridiculous. He let me walk away, not even budging on his price.

Stubborn ****ers the Arabs, it's not even worth trying to bargain with them. If the price isn't right just walk away.
Hravan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Canada.

I seriously hate the place. Well, Alberta really. Ontario was OKish.

I do want to go back but I want to go to BC and I will avoid, as much as possible, all contact with Canadians.

Will also be taking my own teapot and my own tea with me so I can have a decent cuppa. Seriously, three weeks without a proper cup of tea. It was torture. It says it all that I was able to have a proper cuppa whilst trekking in Africa (and I'm talking proper trekking... Taking a shovel and digging a hole if you needed the loo and filling water bottles from the river and then treating the water type of trekking) but wasn't able to in Canada.
OK, that's actually a lie. In one of the hotels restaurants we were in we were very lucky to get a Kiwi waiter. He took one look at us (after over-hearing our accents), saw how rough we looked and said: "You need a pot of tea don't you? Don't worry, I'll make it the proper way." And he did... I think we gave him a $20 tip just for that.

It's strange... I know that the stereotype is that Americans are supposed to be annoying and obnoxious and Canadians are supposed to be all friendly and nice. Complete opposite for me. Both times I went to Canada the majority of the people were rude. But when I was in California everybody was lovely.
Even had the contrast on the same day.. Went to Niagara Falls (biggest anticlimax ever BTW. I don't get the hype. Victoria Falls are so much better), Canadian side was horrible. Walked over the bridge to the USA and it was lovely. Everybody was lovely! It was so strange...

I do think my dislike of Canada might have something to do with my relatives that are over there though. To cut a long story short, after our second (and last) visit to see them, we haven't communicated with them since. The reason why we looked so rough on the day of the Kiwi and pot of tea was because of said relatives. We actually had to sneak around to contact family back in the UK to see if they could help us escape. Luckily, they did which is how we ended up in Toronto.

And now I have a sudden craving for baby carrots....

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that all Canadians are rude and obnoxious. I know they're not. It was just my experience with the ones I did interact with. Well, most of the ones I interacted with. Some were lovely.
saaail
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Denmark and Sweden. They were both cold, dull, grey and utterly miserable.
If I could have a penny for every time someone has asked me if I've seen a polar bear walk down the street, I'd be a kajillionaire. Where I'm from in Sweden is constantly hotter than Turkey in the summer months, which always seems to surprise people.. But yes, the winter months are long and hard. What do you expect from a bunch of islands so far North?

I'll agree with you on the price thing, though. It physically pains me to part with my money sometimes!
beefmaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Do you speak Arabic? Cairo is quite cheap but I spent a lot there as well. Mostly I find the problem is that Arabs try to con foreigners, they charge them very high prices. I tried to bargain with them my entire time over there, often just walking away when the price was too high but they'd rarely budge. While this may happen in most Asian countries at least they will actually bargain with you and not let you walk away.

This is especially the case at tourist sites, they know you're a captive audience. I remember being at a site in Luxor where I was dying of thirst but I wouldn't let myself pay like £2 for some water because it was just ridiculous. He let me walk away, not even budging on his price.

Stubborn ****ers the Arabs, it's not even worth trying to bargain with them. If the price isn't right just walk away.
Yeah I can speak arabic but I know lots of people who can't and they don't have the same problem.

I suppose I find it cheaper as I have been here for a year already.
Blueflare
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know it's not representative of France, but Paris was disappointing, especially considering that I didn't have high (unrealistic) expectations to begin with.
I got conned/mugged within 3 hours of arriving (in broad daylight and everything), was pestered by really pushy and aggressive merchants CONSTANTLY and a lot of people were rude. Couldn't get a good cup of tea, food was nothing special, and everything was obscenely overpriced. The architecture was great and I'm glad I saw the sights, but I did not enjoy being in Paris itself in the slightest. The metro was a pain in the ass, and lots of things were just generally underwhelming.
Enoch.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
England, London to be truly honest. Rude, sense of superiourity and half of the population has disgusting teeth. And all the chavs...nothing like I expected London to be. Leeds is quite nice though.

If it wasn't for the epic education, I would be in France or Italy, where I found the countries more friendly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.71%
No - but I will (55)
7.08%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.01%

Watched Threads