Why the monarchy will survive forever Watch

L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
The Op's examples of the Saxe Coburgs modernisng themselves are laughable.
The point is well-made elsewhere though: the British Royal Family have been notable for adapting to modern circumstance, utilising things like radio and television exceptionally well to bring them closer to their country. Even small things, like choosing to have the Queen's speech on Christmas Day rather than, say, at the New Year as the French President does, are often complete masterstrokes in terms of public relations.

(Original post by iainthegreat)
All men should be born equal. Random chance of which family you're born into should not dictate whether you are automatically some superior being.
Social or political status does not make a person superior to another; if anything does, it is morality.
The_Great_One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
No man is born equal, some are poor, some are rich and so on. Some people are born with disabilities and the sooner the loony left realise this the better this country will be. The monarch is great because they are above all politicians and it makes it easier to trace your history back so instead of having a broken chain its one continuous line that provides our stability and thats what people identify with instead of having an unpopular biased leader.
iainthegreat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Social or political status does not make a person superior to another; if anything does, it is morality.

It should be, but in this country that's clearly not the case. Ask the sheeple that went to the wedding who's superior.
iainthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Great_One)
No man is born equal, some are poor, some are rich and so on. Some people are born with disabilities and the sooner the loony left realise this the better this country will be. The monarch is great because they are above all politicians and it makes it easier to trace your history back so instead of having a broken chain its one continuous line that provides our stability and thats what people identify with instead of having an unpopular biased leader.
I guarantee you feel this way because you've had a very privallaged upbringing, and you've been brainwashed into being an ingnorant prick your whole life. I feel sorry for you, I really do.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No idea if they'll survive forever, but I think they'll still be around for the rest of all our lives.
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
I guarantee you feel this way because you've had a very privallaged upbringing, and you've been brainwashed into being a ingnorant prick your whole life. I feel sorry for you, I really do.
You thought wrong...you know what happened to thought he thought his feet were hanging out of the bed but when he checked they werent.
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
What an utterly disrespectful, vulgar and incredibly common thing to say. Crawl back under your rock.
Dude that's so lame
iainthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You thought wrong...you know what happened to thought he thought his feet were hanging out of the bed but when he checked they werent.
So what is your background then, if you don't mind me asking?
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
(Original post by yituool)
Dude that's so lame
Tony Blair and gordon brown got their come uppance didnt they. They banned fox hunting and decomissioned the royal yacht britannia and neither of them were invited so it serves them right. Also fox hunting is being reintroduced shortly and it's about time. Some people have hobbies you know.
yituool
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tony Blair and gordon brown got their come uppance didnt they. They banned fox hunting and decomissioned the royal yacht britannia and neither of them were invited so it serves them right. Also fox hunting is being reintroduced shortly and it's about time. Some people have hobbies you know.
What in the hell are you talking about, cracker?
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not a cat in hells chance. The royals will always be around because were a royalist country. Republicanism has never taken off in this country even when diana died which was when most people thought it would. The fact that its modernising its self is proof.
Its modernisation suggests the exact opposite. The royal family are pandering to the British people's desire for equality, and eventually will just fizzle out.
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
The Op's examples of the Saxe Coburgs modernisng themselves are laughable.
Indeed, it merely shows that underneath the layer of pomp and ceremony (a layer which is becoming thinner and thinner), they are just normal people. Once that layer has completely eroded there will no longer be a monarchy.
tez.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
What an utterly disrespectful, vulgar and incredibly common thing to say. Crawl back under your rock.
Yeah calling people with differing opinions "common", great way to dispel the notion that Royalists are generally stuck-up their own arse upper class Tories bro.
Thomas2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing lasts for ever- according to Prof. Brian Cox all the stars in the universe will eventually go out... but I'm not in a hurry to have a President Blair...
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
(Original post by Barden)
Indeed, it merely shows that underneath the layer of pomp and ceremony (a layer which is becoming thinner and thinner), they are just normal people. Once that layer has completely eroded there will no longer be a monarchy.
If you say so Its funny how a recent poll shows support for the monarchy has grown stronger. That was coming from the guardian as well. Also its getting bigger and bigger because as things advance in years they become more modern and better like fight jets for example we started off with the spitfire now have the euro fighter. The same thing applies here as things go on we master them more and they improve and keep getting bigger and better. Also the fact that theyve become more normal suggests their more like the people which makes them even more popular.
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
So what is your background then, if you don't mind me asking?
Just a normal middle-upper background.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just a normal middle-upper background.
So yes, a privileged background.

Also, a middle-upper class background is not "normal". Most people in the country are from a working class or lower-middle class background.

And what the hell do fighter jets have to do with this?
Peace'n'loveman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I reckon the royals will lose the majority of their public funding in our lifetime.
they have already lost direct public funding to a certain extent. One of the first things osbourne did was to change the payment to the royal family from essentially a direct grant to a percentage of crown estates income. This is reputed to be far more than the direct grant,so in essence their funding has actually gone up.
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Republicanism is the extreme end of the spectrum. I was more referring to the withdrawal of public funding, which i think is more in line with the younger generation's demands (in my experience at least, its old people that are strongly in favor of the monarchy, with the under-25s really quite indifferent).
The crown estate makes far more per year than the royal family costs. We get a pretty good deal out of the monarchy.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tez.)
Yeah calling people with differing opinions "common", great way to dispel the notion that Royalists are generally stuck-up their own arse upper class Tories bro.
I don't think that notion exists except in your fevered imagination. All the same, I am up my own arse, and a Tory - but I'm not a Royalist, I'm a Constitutional Monarchist. And she was common.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads