Anyone been to India? Going on holiday next month Watch

tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by History-Student)
Because my name's not history-student, it's History-Student. Changing the capitals is a deeply offensive act in my culture.
Cool story bro.
Dumb Economist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because my name's not history-student, it's History-Student. Changing the capitals is a deeply offensive act in my culture, and if you'd done it on purpose I'd have to do something very unpleasant.
leaders of such culture usually end up in the sea....

Just kidding mate.
Left Hand Drive
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because my name's not history-student, it's History-Student. Changing the capitals is a deeply offensive act in my culture, and if you'd done it on purpose I'd have to do something very unpleasant.
Oh lawd someone call the police I fear a negging is about to take placelol
History-Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
Oh lawd someone call the police I fear a negging is about to take placelol
The joys of being a sub, I'll just neg them back :cool:
Dumb Economist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
do you rep back then
Left Hand Drive
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I ment you lol To be delivering the neg bomb that is.
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumb Economist)
do you rep back then
Occasionally. Depends on my mood.
medikitty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
I just came back from India last Friday. Went to Delhi and around. It is in fact quite hot there. Not as hot as some other places, but temperatures usually range between 37 - 42 degrees during the day. You need air conditioning in your hotel and car. Make sure whenever you travel in a taxi you have ac in it. Otherwise go on the rikshas, cycle rikshas, etc. People are not really rude, but as a British you might think so as they are less civilised. The streets are overcrowded with all sorts of vehicles, some of them you have never seen before.

Go to the following places:

Delhi: Lotus Temple, Akshardham, Jama Masjid, Kutub Minar, Red Fort, India Gate, Humayun's Tomb
Agra: Taj Mahal, Agra Fort

The distances aren't that long between cities, but the roads are very bad, so from Delhi to Agra (~200km) took us almost 5 hours. It really depends where in India you are going. It's so massive. If you go Mumbai, it would take you 16 hours by train to get to Delhi and vice versa. And Mumbai is not even half way through India. Calcutta for example is 1500km away from Delhi and Kerala even 2800km.

So, have a good time, make sure you get injections (ask your doctor which ones you'll need). Don't ever drink water from the tap (only bottled one not even filtered) and enjoy yourself.
Some great advice there, really do make sure you're careful about where you eat and bottled water ONLY. Hotels are great there from three star onwards, pretty good service, just choose one carefully based on location and quality. Most people are friendly but a little too eager about "foreigners".
There are lots of new shopping malls and they're awesome and so much cheaper than here. Also, the food in India is to die for, absolutely amazing. Oh and Indian tea is THE SH*T. I LOVE IT SO MUCH please do try it! Does not taste the same here!

Have fun!
harvie_316
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
great place to live.
Indian_Prince
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
are you serious, h and H are the same letter....
04ayasin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try this website.
http://wikitravel.org/en/India
Pn94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm of Indian heritage, whenever i've been there i've been depressed because to be frank, It's largely a wild place with a lot of poverty and dirt. There are some nice parts however, but you'll have to work to find them. The roads are extremely rough too so don't travel via them, try to use rail/air.

As someone said above, don't become demoralized as some parts you'll see extreme poverty in, also don't give in to the beggars who'll greet you outside the airport, as unfortunately you can't help them all and don't try and take the 'advice' of locals when you visit a major landmark like the Taj Mahal, as they're often dodgy.

Also, get your injections and some sun protection as it can get extremely hot, humid too, so much so that you can't walk outside for 5 seconds without sweating like a pig. Drink only bottled water, Bisleri is the main bottled water make there, try to get as much of that as you can and don't ever drink from other sources. You may have a good time, though you'll most likely be chuffed to be on the plane back when you enter it if you want me to be honest with you. It'll be an experience though, for certain.

Good luck.
Indian_Prince
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fhatthewuck)
What's it like? Is it really as hot,smelly, dirty as people say it is? Are the people unfriendly and rude? Are there good hotels, places to see?
lol dont buy bottled water from random places, they ussualy pick up bottles off the streets, super glue the seal back so it looks unopened, they fill it with tap water lololol, i recomend buying directly from a proper company (we ussualy do that, wholesale lol), yeh its going to be really hot when you go (its super hot right now), dont give beggers money, if you give one money the rest that see you will be after you for money too, dont walk off to locations where there aint much people things can get really dodgey espicially if your not indian yourself, dont travel alone, people can easily take advantage of someone alone (alot of drivers have very bad contacts who will make you disappear just for your belongings) , just stick to highly visited tourist attractions and youll be aight, some places you will feel like your in england haha, dont eat too much street food or you will be spending a few of your days in the bathroom, have a good time although id recommend going somewhere else.
muffingg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fhatthewuck)
What's it like? Is it really as hot,smelly, dirty as people say it is? Are the people unfriendly and rude? Are there good hotels, places to see?
I was actually going to expand on my answer, but you don't even seem to care about this thread, so I don't know if I expand on it, who will I help with it. If you want more info regarding anything specific, let me know.
Dumb Economist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Occasionally. Depends on my mood.
Here we go .... did my good deed for the day
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumb Economist)
Here we go .... did my good deed for the day
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :mwuaha:

You fell for my trap, now I have free rep and you have NOTHING!!!! :devil3:

Nah, I'm kidding. Can you imagine anyone being that much of a jizz-stain?
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely visit kareem's restaurant in Delhi. Some of the best indian meat dishes in the world.
pazda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will be stared at as a foreigner, plus beggars will 'target' you, but DON'T give money to the street beggars because once you give one a bit of money, the rest will flock around you and will not leave you alone! Some places can smell a bit but it really depends where you go, the most popular parts (eg. outside malls or at tourist attractions) really aren't that bad. A friend who has come back from Dehli recently said that it is a lot cleaner than before.

I would only really recommend staying in hotels with 4* 's and upwards, but in all the hotels that I have been in the service has been great! If you visit Amritsar stay at the 'Ista' hotel, it is a couple of years old and is seriously, one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The food is great, the staff are great, the actual hotel is soo nice and just generally, it is a really nice place to stay at. If you visit the Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, or especially Phateh phur Sikri (I'm not sure how it's spelt) then get a guided tour as it really makes the place come alive

Make sure that you only buy bottled mineral water and when you buy it, check that the seal is not broken, because I've heard that some people just fill the bottles up with the tap water and sell it off as mineral, plus when in restaurants ask for mineral water. There is a lot of amazing places to visit and the food is amazing! Sooooo much better than indian takeaways

Make sure you have all the vaccinations etc... and I know it's grim, but take diarrhoea tablets :/ Hope you have a good trip!
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Some of the replies on this thread make me laugh. India ain't Africa. Common sense dictates you drink bottled water (heck if people drink bottled water in this country, its obvious you should drink it in a developing country..). If you stick to the tourist places and big cities theres nothing to worry about: no one's going to attack you or anything of the sort. Do visit the malls if you are interested in shopping as some of the brands like Adidas/Levi's sell products at half the price.
IBDOCK
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! :mwuaha:

You fell for my trap, now I have free rep and you have NOTHING!!!! :devil3:

Nah, I'm kidding. Can you imagine anyone being that much of a jizz-stain?
I am checking if this theory works consistently :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
50%
No - but I will (1)
1.92%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
46.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise