Student Finance Repayments if you withdraw Watch

blueberri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What annoys me is that the advisers on the phone lines seems to have no clue what they are talking about, and every time you speak to someone different you get told something different, it is so irritating, I asked them how they calculate it, and no one would tell me... surely its not that hard, I just want to know is the figure divided between 52 weeks or between the beginning and end of the course??? not exactly Rocket science, at least then I would have some idea of how much I have to pay back?? anyone know??
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes it is worked out exactly like that.
blueberri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
so are both the grant and maintenance loan worked out on 52 weeks? I started the course on sept 17th and will finish on may 11th , do they count the half terms or deduct them as well ?? Thanks and where did you get the info from I have been looking everywhere for an answer .
alibee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by divastrop)
I rang them a few weeks ago as I am hoping to leave my course and start a new one in September. Even though I am completing the academic year SLC told me I would have to pay back any grants and loans that were meant for the period between when I withdraw from the course through to September. That will be about 10 weeks, which is a lot of money.
If I were you, I'd withdraw from my old course on the last day of the academic year or simply tell them in September that you won't be registering for the next year. Nothing should then be repayable immediately.
divastrop
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by blueberri)
so are both the grant and maintenance loan worked out on 52 weeks? I started the course on sept 17th and will finish on may 11th , do they count the half terms or deduct them as well ?? Thanks and where did you get the info from I have been looking everywhere for an answer .
My understanding is that they are meant to cover 52 weeks, but what I don't understand is why the grants are the same for the final year as they are for the other years. Only the maintenance loan is less, yet I was told part of the grants would have to be paid back.

(Original post by alibee)
If I were you, I'd withdraw from my old course on the last day of the academic year or simply tell them in September that you won't be registering for the next year. Nothing should then be repayable immediately.
It's the same uni though, but I would have to start from year 1 as it's a nursing course I've applied for, so I can't transfer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (386)
37.22%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.12%

Watched Threads