Am I being unreasonable Watch

fiona_rabbit2013
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
They are reasonable and so are you. Just imagine you having an accident on the way to Germany. How will they bear the news that their son has kicked the bucket just because they let him go there by car? They have their own reasons for being worried. Anyway if you insist on being mature enough to do that, just stick to your guns. Tell them you'll demonstrate to them what you can do. Maybe buy some gifts for them when you return so as to mollify them.
ella37
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
Thats parents for you

I always talk my mum into things, and she persuades my dad, as he is probably the hardest guy to persuade.

So try that, use the 'softer' parent
Haha, that's so true. But in my case, my parents usually go in circles: my mum says ask your dad, my dad says ask your mum. If I said I've asked the other, they just shrug it off. ¬_¬

On topic, I see your parents' view. Do they know your friends? It would be worrying if they suddenly find out you're going on a road trip abroad with strangers (to them). Did they say why they didn't want you to go?

And anyway, I guess you can always say you're taking the buses/trains but go on a road trip instead.
*twinkletoes*
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If that was me, I would probably just do it anyway... Saying that, my dad has no say in my life whatsoever
Paul McCartney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just do it!
Converse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tell them that you're worried about terrorists (Especially now that Bin Laden is dead) blowing up any train/plain you might catch.

Or, tell them that you will get trains/plains but just drive. They'll have no way to know.
Charlottelisabeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No you're not the one being unreasonable, they are. You're 21 for christ sake, they can't tell you what to do anymore! If you can afford it then either buy yourself a car or hire a car for the road trip and prove them wrong, show them that you're your own man now and they can't stop you doing something you wanna do.
Bjoorn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well, unless it's their car we're talking about i don't see what the problem is. they have no right in restricting you to drive there so just do what you want
Grund
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry but your parents seriously need to let go of trying to protect you now. You're 21, if they don't want you back for making your own independent decisions at that age then they're not worth going back to. Find yourself a flat with a friend or something and find your own place in the world.
cooper21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What exactly are your parents reasons for not wanting you to go by car ?
try to get them to say all their "excuses" and find a solution for each one

If they dont fold, go buy train/bus it can be fun too...but in that case ask them for money to pay since you say its more expensive.
Ultimate_Geek
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah, I thought you were my brother at first - he's in the same predicament. Then I spied you were travelling with two Germans.
Climbontoyourseahorse
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
the two guys Im going with are german , you have a point so do they .But surely this is all part of growing up .I just dont understand how long they want to keep me under their wings ..I mean my dad left his house when he was 16 , found his job , married and did all the stuff he wanted to ..Why cant I
Maybe he regrets doing that or having it happen to him so young. Maybe he had to move out at 16 and fend for himself. Often when parents are strict and have very set ideas about what their child will and won't do, it's because they have had bad experiences themselves and don't want the same to happen to their child. Have you actually asked them for their reasons instead of just mouthing off at them?

Also, do not underestimate driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and its potential dangers.

Also, if you go by train, you can drink beer.
Alex Jones
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by teenageclay)
Just do it, part of being a son or daughter is disobeying your parents lol
oh dear
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.16%
No - but I will (80)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.95%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.17%

Watched Threads