?
Report 7 years ago
Audi S3, solves all problems.
Yazmina
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm driving a 1.8, I'm 23 and it's costing me a little over a grand a year in insurance. Stay away from these large engines!
lazy smurf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends how much you earn and how much it will cost, no?
EssexDan86
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
18 years old on a car like that? I'm guessing Daddy's paying!
michael321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well use price comparison sites, phone insurers, and look at your income. That should give you a reasonable idea.
Landie_Man
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was running a 2.3 at 18, the insurance was £775 a year, im now nearly 21 and paying £500
Fuzzed_Out
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
MG never made a 1.4 BGT. They made a 1.8 and a 3.5 version.
The 3.5 is actually the more economical engine as it is far better designed and understressed.
That, and I don't like 4 cylinder powered cars. It's 6 cylinders as a minimum for me, although i'll make the odd exception for a Volvo 5 pot.
I thought someone like you would be partial to an audi s2 2.2 turbo 5 pot...
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Landie_Man)
I was running a 2.3 at 18, the insurance was £775 a year, im now nearly 21 and paying £500
Either that was on your parents' insurance, you live in the safest postcode in the UK or you were 18 in about 1990! Am I right?!

EDIT... you're 21 now, so the 1990 thing probably doesn't stand, unless said 2.3 car is a DeLorean time machine...
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
I thought someone like you would be partial to an audi s2 2.2 turbo 5 pot...
Never tried an audi 5 pot. I had a Volvo with a 5 pot a while back and they aint that bad.

Bit like a V8 in terms of power delivery - they dont really like to rev that high and it's all about low down grunt. :gthumb:
Fuzzed_Out
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Never tried an audi 5 pot. I had a Volvo with a 5 pot a while back and they aint that bad.

Bit like a V8 in terms of power delivery - they dont really like to rev that high and it's all about low down grunt. :gthumb:
You have to love the low end torque-y gurgle. Do you know of any classic car insurance companies that will take a 19-20 year old? They only ones I can find want a 21 or 25 year old.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
You have to love the low end torque-y gurgle. Do you know of any classic car insurance companies that will take a 19-20 year old? They only ones I can find want a 21 or 25 year old.
Adrian Flux, Footman James, Lancaster, Peter Best ?

Been with all these except the last one over the years. Think Lancaster will do you a quick quote with a guarenteed price before you start asking too many questions.
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Adrian Flux, Footman James, Lancaster, Peter Best ?

Been with all these except the last one over the years. Think Lancaster will do you a quick quote with a guarenteed price before you start asking too many questions.
Lancaster would not do it if you are under 21. But they can work with you towards a rather expensive solution

Footman James no longer does under 25, even as a named driver.

PBI, if you are under 25 the car in question needs to be below 2.0l otherwise for a Jag E-Type the insurance for a 21 year old female with a clean driving record goes into the £2000 range.

Adrian Flux, only if it is a multi-car and you are a named driver..... though it depends on your luck.... Called them 4 times and we had 4 different answers
Landie_Man
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EssexDan86)
Either that was on your parents' insurance, you live in the safest postcode in the UK or you were 18 in about 1990! Am I right?!

EDIT... you're 21 now, so the 1990 thing probably doesn't stand, unless said 2.3 car is a DeLorean time machine...
Nope, My own policy, my own car. Just actually bothered to shop about
TheCurlyHairedDude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
I ran a 3.5 V8 when I was that age. Nothing's changed, 'cept there's more of 'em sat outside.

Drive what you like - if you want something badly enough you'll work hard until you get it. Besides, 2 litres is tiny in real terms anyway.
You live on a ****ign farm in the middle of no where....

Other people like me live in the worst and most deprived London boroughs where I've witness car robberies at first hand and vandalization.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
You live on a ****ign farm in the middle of no where....

Other people like me live in the worst and most deprived London boroughs where I've witness car robberies at first hand and vandalization.
LMAO, do you ever engage your brain before posting this crap?

I have a 2 bedroom semi in Alfreton, Derbyshire. I'm less than a mile from the M1! The middle of nowhere it certainly isn't!

Back under your bridge, please, troll.
DynamicQ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
18 years old on a car like that? I'm guessing Daddy's paying!
Did you read the first message in the thread?
Please keep your lousy opinions to yourself if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Just to make it clear to people with nothing better to do in order to get rid of messages like I just quoted. No - daddy's not paying.

I have to pay for the car and insurance my self, and that's why I want to get something which will satisfy me and won't cost me my summer-working.
I realised 2.0 litres is a lot after failling to find a proper insurance.

Currently looking at Ford Focus. Not too ugly...and it's insurance group is resonably low.
Any one know any sedans with smaller engines in lower insurance groups. I was looking at old civics but they don't seem easy to insure either.

Somebody told me that Kia Picanta is quite powerful for it's engine size. But I never seen uglier car in my life...
DynamicQ
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
LMAO, do you ever engage your brain before posting this crap?

I have a 2 bedroom semi in Alfreton, Derbyshire. I'm less than a mile from the M1! The middle of nowhere it certainly isn't!

Back under your bridge, please, troll.
Here comes the trolls... don't argue with idiots.
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DynamicQ)
Did you read the first message in the thread?
Please keep your lousy opinions to yourself if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Just to make it clear to people with nothing better to do in order to get rid of messages like I just quoted. No - daddy's not paying.
Yup, your message said the following:

Well let us asume that there is only one option. 2 more cars in my family. Both parents drive. What are my chances.

I don't really want to hear answers such as
-Forget about it
or
-Get a smaller engine car
or
anything from the same kind of ''opera''

PS I am a British national.

Nothing there really applies to my lighthearted comment, so try not to get too touchy, eh? I was just rather incredulous that anyone would want to spend so much on insurance if they were paying it for themselves. Better option is to get a smaller engined car for a year or two and get the no claims.

I have to pay for the car and insurance my self, and that's why I want to get something which will satisfy me and won't cost me my summer-working.
I realised 2.0 litres is a lot after failling to find a proper insurance.

Currently looking at Ford Focus. Not too ugly...and it's insurance group is resonably low.
Any one know any sedans with smaller engines in lower insurance groups. I was looking at old civics but they don't seem easy to insure either.

Somebody told me that Kia Picanta is quite powerful for it's engine size. But I never seen uglier car in my life...
Seems you realised this for yourself eventually
DynamicQ
Rep:
?
Yup, your message said the following:

Well let us asume that there is only one option. 2 more cars in my family. Both parents drive. What are my chances.

I don't really want to hear answers such as
-Forget about it
or
-Get a smaller engine car
or
anything from the same kind of ''opera''

PS I am a British national.

Nothing there really applies to my lighthearted comment, so try not to get too touchy, eh? I was just rather incredulous that anyone would want to spend so much on insurance if they were paying it for themselves. Better option is to get a smaller engined car for a year or two and get the no claims.

Seems you realised this for yourself eventually
I just hate when people decide for myself. No worries.
EssexDan86
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fair play - sorry for the bother.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads