What will happen to Pakistan now considering Bin ladens been hiding there ? Watch

Poll: What will happen to Pakistan now considering Bin ladens been hiding there?
Absolutely Nothing (39)
36.79%
Senior Pakistani officials will be questioned but will lead no where. Case closed soon after... (61)
57.55%
Sanctions on Pakistan (4)
3.77%
A dramatic government change will take place. Perpetrators who helped Bin laden will be brought to justice. (2)
1.89%
SatanIsAwesome
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Inzamam99)
Nothing will happen- no sanctions etc. as the West NEEDS Pakistan for a whole variety of things with the country being by far the biggest factor in terms of how the war in Afghanistan works out. An invasion is impossible and will result in an enormous quagmire outdoing Vietnam by an enormous margin with at least 200,000 US troops dying I'd imagine.
Do you really think that Pakistan could contend with America in a proper war?
Their military is nothing in comparison to the US.
Vietnam was the wrong type of war, army vs army and only Russia or the combined forces of Europe could stand up to them.
Joe199111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
seriously?

say goodbye to your testicles.

I've just seen ongoing news and a 12 year old boy had visited the compound where Osama lived a few times - he knew about Osama and his wives.

A 12 year old local boy knew the whereabouts of Osama.

I have every confidence that Pakistani officials knew.
Why didnt the 12 year old or his parents claim a 20 million dollar reward then ?.The BBC is known to lie through its teeth. Gaddafi says xyz and the BBC say hmm thats what gaddafi says we think abc, yet anyone if you make an opinion which benefits america the BBC takes it as FACT

(Original post by slavetosociety)
I know but the West have been protecting Pakistan for too long now...even against their own interests!
west protecting ?, if an american drug dealer escapes america to mexico do you blame the American Police or the Mexican President .

protecting pakistan from what ? , pakistan has captured more Al Qaeda commanders than anyone else.They all fled afghanistan after the NATO invasion, and US drone strikes have pushed into major cities. The Pakistan Army raided the same compound in 2003 found nothing, and then obviously made the mistake of not raiding it again. In many ways it was a good hiding place,no expected him to be there.

(Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_aid_to_Pakistan

That country would be in the stone ages if it wasn't for the aid it receives?

http://www.forexpk.com/from-internat...ays-hague.html

stone ages ? not everyone outside the west lives in mudhuts
but you might be dead if it wasnt for the work and intel provided by the pakistanis security services. 650 million pound distributed through ngos over 4 years is the normal amount of aid given to developing countries. FDI has fallen from 8 billion to 0.5 billion since pakistan got involved in the war on terror who will compensate that ? . The taliban blame the pakistan government for killing bin laden, america is too far away for them so now they will kill more pakistani troops and civilians.

Bin Laden had plenty of money he was worth at least $256 million 20 years ago he coudlve got some body else to build the compound for him
kalaghoda
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joe199111)
Why didnt the 12 year old or his parents claim a 20 million dollar reward then ?.The BBC is known to lie through its teeth. Gaddafi says xyz and the BBC say hmm thats what gaddafi says we think abc, yet anyone if you make an opinion which benefits america the BBC takes it as FACT

west protecting ?, if an american drug dealer escapes america to mexico do you blame the American Police or the Mexican President ?.

protecting pakistan from what ? , pakistan has captured more Al Qaeda commanders than anyone else.They all fled afghanistan after the NATO invasion, and US drone strikes have pushed into major cities. The Pakistan Army raided the same compound in 2003 found nothing, and then obviously made the mistake of not raiding it again. In many ways it was a good hiding place,no expected him to be there.

but you might be dead if it wasnt for the work and intel provided by the pakistanis security services. 650 million pound distributed through ngos over 4 years in the normal amount of aid given to developing countries. FDI has fallen from 8 billion to 0.5 billion since pakistan got involved in the war on terror who will compensate that ? . The taliban blame the pakistan government for killing bin laden, america is too far away for them so now they will kill more pakistani troops and civilians.

Bin Laden had plenty of money he was worth at least $256 million 20 years ago he coudlve got some body else to build the compound for him
you're awesome
Light.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

west protecting ?, if an american drug dealer escapes america to mexico do you blame the American Police or the Mexican President .

but you might be dead if it wasnt for the work and intel provided by the pakistanis security services. 650 million pound distributed through ngos over 4 years is the normal amount of aid given to developing countries. FDI has fallen from 8 billion to 0.5 billion since pakistan got involved in the war on terror who will compensate that ? . The taliban blame the pakistan government for killing bin laden, america is too far away for them so now they will kill more pakistani troops and civilians.

True enough
ShadowConspiracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
but you might be dead if it wasnt for the work and intel provided by the pakistanis security services.
I find that truly had to believe, A known corrupt government, In which our governments even said was a dangerous ally. Yes, Stone ages, They are hardly living in penthouses, More like a shack thrown together?
650 million pound distributed through ngos over 4 years is the normal amount of aid given to developing countries. FDI has fallen from 8 billion to 0.5 billion since pakistan got involved in the war on terror who will compensate that ? . The taliban blame the pakistan government for killing bin laden, america is too far away for them so now they will kill more pakistani troops and civilians.
So you agree with the aid, :facepalm: , For a country that's slashing spending left right and centre, Why should we give it to Pakistan? When the government clearly knew where Bin Laden was in hiding? Why trust them? They are like every other middle eastern country? You can't trust them.
Potential Trigger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pakistan is more complicated than people on here are imagining. Now I'am willing to bet my balls that no one in the military establishment or the government knew of the whereabouts of Bin Laden but that certain elements in the ISI were responsible and these are the elements which must now be destroyed by the army as they refuse to realise which way the wind is going and what is best for Pakistan. The situation in Pakistan is unique in that the intelligence services and the army are autonomous and indeed more powerful and influential than the weak corrupt government- the leader of which is the most corrupt man in Pakistan with approval ratings of around 10%.

Nothing will happen- no sanctions etc. as the West NEEDS Pakistan for a whole variety of things with the country being by far the biggest factor in terms of how the war in Afghanistan works out. An invasion is impossible and will result in an enormous quagmire outdoing Vietnam by an enormous margin with at least 200,000 US troops dying I'd imagine.

Top post mate, from an Indian.

There is no doubt that Bin Laden received some support from official Pakistani elements, probably as you say, from ISI. Zardari was no doubt unaware of all this. Bit like in the Kargil war, Nawaz Sharif was the last to know about General Musharraf's planned invasion.

The west is aware that Pakistan is not being fully transparent, but has to make do and try to gain more control.

The only aspect I disagree with you on is saying the US wouldn't be able to defeat Pakistan. Conventionally Pakistan would be defeated, but it may descend into guerilla tactics as seen in Iraq. The US is not prepared for another long drawn out war. Also it has no need to invade Pakistan. Pakistan is co-operating reasonably and the US is permitted to carry out drone attacks so it isn't a bad situation for the Americans.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
What will happen to Pakistan now considering Osama bin Ladin been hiding there?
Well if they knew about it which is highly likely as a 12 year old knew, I'd like to see;
Foreign aid stopped, government replaced with someone who can actually take charge of the corrupt country and sanctions... but that will never happen so we will have to live with it.
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
Do you really think that Pakistan could contend with America in a proper war?
Their military is nothing in comparison to the US.
Vietnam was the wrong type of war, army vs army and only Russia or the combined forces of Europe could stand up to them.
No of course not- no one can stand up to the United States in an all out conventional war. But in case of an INVASION, the NWFP region alone will be more troublesome than Afghanistan and the military definitely has the capability to kill tens of thousands of US troops (even hundreds of thousands if strategic nuclear strikes come into play) before it goes down. And after that, imagine the challenge of having to subdue a country far bigger than Afghanistan with many times more the population and very capable former intelligence and military figure organising the US-hating public.

I promise you the first conventional and then guerilla war with Pakistan will take out many more US soldiers than Vietnam. Which is why Obama will do the intelligent and not even think of taking such an option.
CHEETS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
I get a feeling Pakistan is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm sure Pakistan understands its obligations and renewed commitment to the 'war on terror', but on the other hand wants to secure its future. For eg. If the perceived threat from India turns into an attack, will Pakistan have international backing and support from its allies (US and UK), or will it be left to fight alone and thus could do with the Taliban?
Which percieved threat from India ??? India has been under attack from Pakistani terrorists more than once...not the other way around...and despite that there hasn't been any definitive threat of war for years
and I very much doubt the UK or USA would support Pakistan over India if it ever did come to war
mmmmmpie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Indias take on this:

The killing of Osama bin Laden near Islamabad is proof that "terrorists belonging to different organisations find sanctuary in Pakistan", Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram says.

President Obama's statement that the Al-Qaeda leader was killed in Abbotabad "deep inside Pakistan" was a matter of "grave concern", he said.

The minister urged Pakistan to arrest those behind the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

India has blamed the attacks on Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba group.

After initially denying the charge, Pakistan later admitted that some of the attacks were planned on its territory.

Ten gunmen attacked multiple targets in Mumbai, killing more than 165 people.

The sole surviving gunman, Pakistani national Mohammad Ajmal Amir Qasab, was captured and tried in an Indian court.

He was convicted and given death penalty last year.

Lashkar-e-Taiba is outlawed in Pakistan, but India maintains that Pakistan's security forces retain ties to the militants.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13257341
Inzamam99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
seriously?

say goodbye to your testicles.

I've just seen ongoing news and a 12 year old boy had visited the compound where Osama lived a few times - he knew about Osama and his wives.

A 12 year old local boy knew the whereabouts of Osama.

I have every confidence that Pakistani officials knew.
Wow genius teenage political analysts like you know everything don't you?

Pakistan is grey not black and white as you think. There is a very high chance in my opinion that only elements of the ISI and perhaps some figures in the military knew of Bin Laden's whereabouts. The 12 year old boy could have been a courier from Ayman Al Zawahiri for all you know. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.
Inzamam99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Potential Trigger)
Top post mate, from an Indian.

There is no doubt that Bin Laden received some support from official Pakistani elements, probably as you say, from ISI. Zardari was no doubt unaware of all this. Bit like in the Kargil war, Nawaz Sharif was the last to know about General Musharraf's planned invasion.

The west is aware that Pakistan is not being fully transparent, but has to make do and try to gain more control.

The only aspect I disagree with you on is saying the US wouldn't be able to defeat Pakistan. Conventionally Pakistan would be defeated, but it may descend into guerilla tactics as seen in Iraq. The US is not prepared for another long drawn out war. Also it has no need to invade Pakistan. Pakistan is co-operating reasonably and the US is permitted to carry out drone attacks so it isn't a bad situation for the Americans.
Thanks , yeah I definitely agree. The Kargil war was a misguided adventure which never had any chance of reasonable success particularly after the Indians had caught on to Mushy's plan. That said Musharraf was still a far better leader both economically and in terms of foreign policy than Nawaz Sharif.

Definitely agree about the war stuff. And both the conventional and the guerilla war with Pakistan will be far more brutal than anything seen in Iraq.
O'Donovan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pakistan may be a third-world country...

But at least their BINS get taken out on a bank holiday!
slavetosociety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by O'Donovan)
Pakistan may be a third-world country...

But at least their BINS get taken out on a bank holiday!
:rofl:
Rokaf0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hear hear! You've found yourself a fan club

Osama had a 25 million pound bounty on his head. As much as the people loved him, the situation in Pakistan is so desperate that they would be running to tell the world and make some money to feed their families.
Doyle&TheFourFathers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wow genius teenage political analysts like you know everything don't you?

Pakistan is grey not black and white as you think. There is a very high chance in my opinion that only elements of the ISI and perhaps some figures in the military knew of Bin Laden's whereabouts. The 12 year old boy could have been a courier from Ayman Al Zawahiri for all you know. Don't talk about things you know nothing about.
cool your jets. i just have an opinion, i am no analyst. which part of my post was political analysis?. now you're saying elements of the ISI and military figures knew about his location? i thought you bet your testicles that nobody in Pakistan knew...

Unless you're in contact with senior officials in Pakistan, your guesses are as good as anyone elses.
Dumb Economist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pakistan is more complicated than people on here are imagining. Now I'am willing to bet my balls that no one in the military establishment or the government knew of the whereabouts of Bin Laden but that certain elements in the ISI were responsible and these are the elements which must now be destroyed by the army as they refuse to realise which way the wind is going and what is best for Pakistan. The situation in Pakistan is unique in that the intelligence services and the army are autonomous and indeed more powerful and influential than the weak corrupt government- the leader of which is the most corrupt man in Pakistan with approval ratings of around 10%.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=34

You views changed in just 24 hrs :eek: If you keep doing this you will be without few vital organs
Inzamam99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumb Economist)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7&postcount=34

You views changed in just 24 hrs :eek: If you keep doing this you will be without few vital organs
I meant as in they weren't harbouring Bin Laden. As I said the most likely scenario is that members of the ISI and maybe some military guys knew but no one else.
johndoranglasgow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well I'm pretty sure that they're off the Christmas card list but other than that, probably not much.
Inzamam99
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
cool your jets. i just have an opinion, i am no analyst. which part of my post was political analysis?. now you're saying elements of the ISI and military figures knew about his location? i thought you bet your testicles that nobody in Pakistan knew...

Unless you're in contact with senior officials in Pakistan, your guesses are as good as anyone elses.
"Now I'am willing to bet my balls that no one in the military establishment or the government knew of the whereabouts of Bin Laden but that certain elements in the ISI were responsible and these are the elements which must now be destroyed by the army as they refuse to realise which way the wind is going and what is best for Pakistan."

The only change to the above is that I'am saying some military guys may have helped harbour him. But the primary player was definitely definitely the ISI.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (503)
37.65%
No - but I will (103)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.75%

Watched Threads