Are the British more sceptical than the Americans? Watch

User414413
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, that's not the reason. Brits are as trusting as Americans are. The reason why Brits are more skeptical is because they weren't really effected as much as Americans. Anyway, it's pretty obvious that Osama is dead. The only debatable issue I see is when he died.
RyanT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure I agree entirely with the OP. I think it is more accurate to describe the Americans as more divided, divided into a large strong conspiracy grouping and another highly gullible group. Whilst the British response has tended to be a more uniform healthy scepticism.

I think my characterisation of the American psyche will become more evident once the initial emotional euphoria of Bin Laden's alleged demise wears off, those who are more prone to conspiracies are the same ones who are most pleased and therefore blinded, by the news.
User414413
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
The most watched news channel in America is Fox News.

I hate to generalise, but I think it's safe to say that we're still more sceptical than Americans in most ways.

I do think that bin Laden is dead, simply because it makes no sense for Obama to make a public declaration and lie about it when it could be easily disproved by Osama posting a videotape to Al Jazeera.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...s.digitalmedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_circulation

I'm pretty sure if there was a fox-style news tv station, it would be leading.
Dogatonic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A good deal of Americans feel VERY strongly about the 9/11 attacks and a lot of them would react viscerally to the news rather than stop and evaluate the validity of the reports-- perhaps because the rest of the world is in some sense more emotionally detached, we are more likely to be sceptical.
Travelling_Girl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Just depends on what your friends are like; they aren't indicative of an entire population.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to generalise. That's why I posted it. I wanted to see if people had found the opposite to me.
Competencies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Americans are a lot, lot more patriotic than us Brits are. 9/11 had a much bigger impact on the Americans than 7/7 did on us Brits. I've noticed that the anniversaries of 7/7 struggle to make headlines in Britain but you can be sure that the anniversary of 9/11 will be top news over in the States.

As a result I think Americans just want to believe that Osama is dead to gain some sort of closure over the whole thing and I'm not only talking about the Americans who were directly affected by 9/11 but all of them. So that desire to have faith in that he is dead takes over any potential sceptism.
SayonaraSamm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sceptical of his death, I'm just doubtful that it'll really change anything.
Panda Vinnie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think so.
Rzc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What annoys me is that they are saying USA USA USA etc thinking they're the boss, when in reality British SAS could of had Bin Laden years ago, had the Americans not taken 5 hours to turn up...
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ExcessNeo)
I'm not too sceptical at all over this. The sea burial was done swiftly so they don't have the Islamic community going on about how disrespectful they are (despite the cries of him not facing Mecca already).

They claim to have DNA evidence (99.9% accurate), I would imagine this is going to be shown to the press at some point.

It would be incredibly stupid of Obama to stand infront of the nation, claim the most wanted man arguably in history is dead only for a week or so later him to appear on video surrounded by papers proclaiming his demise.
I don't think he's alive - I think that they finally got intelligence that he was already dead, and since Obama has recently been put under pressure for not having dealt with Osama like he pledged in the election he faked the operation to get the credit.

I'd obviously believe Obama if he offered proof though.

EDIT: To answer the OP I think America took 9/11 a lot more personally than we took our bombing. I'd also think that they're more likely to trust their news sources though to be honest I don't know why.
Aodhán
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think this thread clearly shows that Brits are as gullible as Americans. People seem to have accepted the generally anti-American attitudes of British media.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed