Are today's young Leftists stupid? Watch

WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The problem is that you are tarring everyone on the left with the same brush.
I am left wing, but I do not want a communist state or a revolution or whatever.
And as already said, some on the right are just as bad (especially the ones that seem to think everyone on benefits is lazy or whatever).
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, a large amount of them. Most of the ones I know personally are complete idiots, who simpley put themselves at the Left to be hipster, plus it goes with their Che T-shirts.

But that's not to say there aren't some reasonably intelligent ones out there.
BalanceCommaGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's stupid to talk about yr political opinions in a definitive way young, whatever they may be.
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
Most young people are stupid, not just the leftists.
Dahut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, not at all. I would say young people are just more idealist and altruistic.
DisconcertingWink1
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by kerily)
You can't post something controversial and then just say 'discuss' without having offered any justification. (Well, you obviously can, as you just did, but my point is that it's not tremendously conducive to debate.)

Some of them are, some of them aren't. I'm a 'leftist', as you so charmingly put it, and I like to think that I'm not stupid.
This is a motion. You could say I'm the moderator of the motion. The moderator cannot, by definition, be effusive about his/her own sentiments on the issue.

Thumbs up for my insincerity?
jesusandtequila
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dahut)
No, not at all. I would say young people are just more idealist and altruistic.
Collectivism has nothing to do with altruism though. Altruism is the voluntary giving of property to those less fortunate, while leftist politics is based on imposing a belief that all must give, whether they wish to or not, indeed leftist politics destroys altruism and true charity by taking the responsibilities from the people to the state, and by extorting property by force in order to attempt to do this. It merely breeds resentment and class hatred as a consequence (which is why there are so many ridiculous threads from people on both sides of the spectrum, both attacking the rich and arguing that they must not live at a higher standard of living, and those who argue that the poor do not deserve help when in need - it's a direct consequence of the state assuming responsibilities for attempting to solve societies problems), thus destroying charity in the process.
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say the opposite is true for the people who I've spoken to about it. Left wing people are generally more knowledgable about politics and don't rely on petty attacks on working class people to convince others that their views are justified. Just look at the Daily Mail for example, and then at the Guardian. That sort of comparison translates well into this discussion in my opinion.
Jacktri
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
- Left want everyone to be equal regardless of ability

- right are all for unfairness especially when they can get an advantage through unjust means

- i think everyone's worth should only be determined by ability no parents getting them internships no private schools everyone has an equal opportunity to defeat everyone else

so what am i?
OdinsThunder
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The left are brainwashed fools.
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jacktri)

- right are all for unfairness especially when they can get an advantage through unjust means

- i think everyone's worth should only be determined by ability no parents getting them internships no private schools everyone has an equal opportunity to defeat everyone else

so what am i?
A Liberal Democrat.
jpye11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"More intelligent people are statistically significantly more likely to exhibit social values and religious and political preferences that are novel to the human species in evolutionary history. Specifically, liberalism and atheism, and for men (but not women), preference for sexual exclusivity correlate with higher intelligence, a new study finds."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0224132655.htm
Fusilero
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As stupid as just about every other young person, right and left.
nonotrly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
I'd say people in their 30-70s are probably more on the ball than most OAPs. You tend to lose your judgement and connection to society the more time you spend sheltered from it in a home. Also, a sentimental attachment to the old ways tend to cloud judgement.
Nostalgia clouds the judgement of every past generation. 30-70 year olds are also unfamiliar with things that are current, and will believe people like Jack Thompson over science when there is an opinion or fact about something current.
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jpye11)
"More intelligent people are statistically significantly more likely to exhibit social values and religious and political preferences that are novel to the human species in evolutionary history. Specifically, liberalism and atheism, and for men (but not women), preference for sexual exclusivity correlate with higher intelligence, a new study finds."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0224132655.htm
On further inspection, that's largely a self-selection problem.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...968042,00.html

"So are liberals smarter? Kanazawa quotes from two surveys that support the hypothesis that liberals are more intelligent. One is the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, which is often called Add Health. The other is the General Social Survey (GSS). The Add Health study shows that the mean IQ of adolescents who identify themselves as "very liberal" is 106, compared with a mean IQ of 95 for those calling themselves "very conservative." The Add Health study is huge — more than 20,000 kids — and this difference is highly statistically significant.

But self-identification is often misleading; do kids really know what it means to be liberal? The GSS data are instructive here: Kanazawa found that more-intelligent GSS respondents (as measured by a quick but highly reliable synonym test) were less likely to agree that the government has a responsibility to reduce income and wealth differences. In other words, intelligent people might like to portray themselves as liberal. But in the end, they know that it's good to be the king."
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fusilero)
As stupid as just about every other young person, right and left.
That's rather a sweeping generalisation. In my experience, young people are no less intelligent than their older couterparts.
DisconcertingWink1
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Jacktri)

so what am i?
You're fair and balanced, evidently.

Thumbs up for insincerity?
jesusandtequila
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think, though, that the OP is committing a fallacy committed by many on all sides of the political spectrum - that is, treating people are groups rather than seeing them for they are, many individuals. There will be highly intelligent people on all sides of the political spectrum, and less intelligent ones also.

To argue that a particular group is stupid/clever is to ignore the huge variation in intelligence that will occur within any political grouping, and it makes no more sense than saying 'Are today's young leftists ginger?'.
S_123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by leetay)
Yes

Most are loony
I read that as 'horny' for some reason and was about to agree :p:
Andrii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I honestly doubt a person's political views are representative of their level of intelligence
Naturally, some of "today's young Leftists" (as you so eloquently put it) will be smarter than others, in the same way that we see variations in intellectual abilities across society in general.

Funnily enough, when I first got interested in politics I was more right-wing than anything else. After doing more extensive reading & research I am now what you would describe as a "leftie". Bite me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads