The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by juliewho
Sorry for the late reply and yeah! Then when I told someone else, they got all interested and now i'm like "damn, I introduced more competition!" even though I know it's silly :colondollar:
Had a go at writing my personal statement today. Doing a paired reading scheme in september though, so I needed to leave space, but managed to go quite far over the character limit which is a pain really. I don't want to cut anything i've written though, so need some help from the UCAS tutor I still haven't met :cool:

If you need any help with your PS draft, you can post it in the Medical Sciences PS Help forum and I'll have a look at it for you. :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You sound like the perfect applicant for SLT! Don't give up, just keeping looking for work experience opportunities and apply to the unis you want to attend. :smile:

Is there any work experience that you think would be really beneficial?
Original post by LaEstrella
Is there any work experience that you think would be really beneficial?

Volunteering for relevant charities, shadowing a SLT in a setting you haven't already experienced, and working with potential client groups. :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you need any help with your PS draft, you can post it in the Medical Sciences PS Help forum and I'll have a look at it for you. :smile:

I just got in from work and had another look at it, already I can see things I don't like that didn't seem to be there yesterday. I think I need to redraft a few times :tongue:
Thanks for the offer, i'm not sure whether to submit it before or after i've added in the paired reading scheme though because we only get one review, right? I'm so excited after all these open days I just want it to be absolutely perfect :redface:
Original post by bright_eyes161
hi, i'm also really interested in applying for speech therapy courses, but am worried about how 'sciency' the course is? I have naturally been more of a English or humanities or the arts person, and am worried that this may affect how well i do/how much I enjoy the course? Also, which is the best way to gain work experience? Thanks

Ooh you sound just like me! I was introduced to SLT by our careers advisory woman, but she told me I'd need to take Biology, which I couldn't stand the thought of. I ended up taking English Lit, History and German and I got into 4/6 universities I applied for (the 2 I didn't get into, UCL and Sheffield, both called the course "speech sciences", so I wasn't overly surprised, although I did get an interview for both). In my year there was a real mix of different academic backgrounds. My best friend had taken Biology at A level and during our medicine modules she certainly said it was an advantage. I did find this aspect difficult, perhaps more difficult than some of the others, but it was by no means impossible. I think Reading is historically quite a linguistics based university (which was one of the reasons it appealed to me so much), but obviously there are certain "sciency" areas you do have to cover. In terms of this affecting how well you do and how much you enjoy the course, I ended up managing to get a first and I absolute adore speech therapy. So I definitely wouldn't write it off!
As for work experience, it's really difficult to get to shadow an actual speech therapist, because they are so difficult. So I always think it's best to try and find a way to volunteer with relevant client groups. As far as children are concerned, working with different age groups can really help- I had done work experience at a nursery and a special needs school during my year 10 work experience, and then throughout sixth form I volunteered at Brownies. With adults, your best bet is to look through charities. Before I got my job, I was volunteering with the Stroke Association at their communication rehab groups, which I loved. I just rang up my local branch and they were more than happy to help. If you google local organisations you should get a good idea of where to start.

Original post by naomiele
Hello Georgia, I visited Reading University and I loved the clinic, the course and the atmosphere. Basically I REALLY want to go to Reading. But the talk suggested there are 400 applicants to 30 places. This really worrys me, do you have ANY tips other than to have ABB which might help someone get into the university??

Thanks,

I'm glad you liked it. As I've written here before, I absolutely loved it, can't praise it highly enough.
I know, I remember being massively daunted by the number of applicants to the number of places. It is a very competitive course, but if you have the grades, a strong personal statement, relevant experience and a real passion for the course, then I think you stand a really good chance. As you've said, obviously academically you have to make your grades and I imagine that is fairly non-negotiable. Personal statements are what they're going to use to decide whether or not you'll be short-listed. In the case of Reading, if you're short-listed you'll get a questionnaire to complete (at least you did when I applied in 2007 and I don't think that's changed). I know on here they can take a look at your PS, and I made sure I made the most of any such opportunities available at my school. I think work experience is probably something which helps differentiate between applicants- read above my suggestions for perhaps how to go about that. I would just make sure that whatever experience you do manage to get, you really explain how this will help you on the course- don't make them infer it, explain it. As well as being a competitive course, it's also a demanding course, so I think you really need to show just how keen you are to do it. Work experience shows this, but also reading relevant books (I always recommend David Crystal's Introduction to Speech and Language Pathology as a really good starting point) can definitely help.
I would definitely suggest taking your time over the questionnaire. I remember drafting my answers about a million times before filling in the actual form. Obviously always get someone to check them for any obvious spelling/grammar errors, but try to include as much as possible. I have very small writing and I remember having to really cram in my writing into those boxes, but this is your chance to sell yourself. I can't remember exactly what they asked, but make sure you're prepared to justify why it is you want to go to Reading specifically. You're one step ahead here because you went to the open day (I didn't go before applying) so hopefully you'll have lots to say here. (Sorry if it's not a questionnaire any more, but I'm sure unless you're a mature student, it is).
Good luck :smile:

I am really interested in applying to this course but when I attended the open days it scared me due to the fact that with only around 27 places and with so many applicants and then with the chance that you may not get a job at the end of it, I am now really worried that if I apply I won't even be looked at :/
I am taking Biology, English Language, Spanish and Art and I am only predicted A,A,B, B at AS level :/
& then I've only got work experience working with people who need respite care and I have shadowed a speech and language therapist. I really don't think I stand a chance :/

It is a really competitive course, but don't let that put you off. If it's what you want to do, then go for it! As PhoenixFortune has said, it sounds like you're an ideal candidate for the course. Obviously most universities are quite open with which subjects they will take, but I know Biology is looked on very favourably (and as I stated in my first reply to bright eyes, it will definitely help once on the course), as are English Language and Spanish, as they will help with the language/grammar aspect of things. So I think your subject choice is really strong, and you can definitely put forward a strong case in your PS as to why these subjects have helped prepare you for the course.
Work experience wise, it also sounds like you're off to a great start. As far as I'm aware it's quite unusual to get to shadow a speech therapist before you actually start the course (I know I didn't) so that's excellent, and you can really make a big feature of that and of what you learnt from that. Working with people requiring respite care is a client group an SLT may work with, so that's definitely relevant. I would say when it comes to work experience that I don't think you can have too much, so if you can find any more opportunities to work with relevant client groups then that will make your application even stronger.
To give you an idea, when I applied in 2007 I took English Lit, German and History and was predicted AAB. As for work experience I had attended a local hospital open day designed for perspective SLT students, volunteered at Brownies and did my year 10 work experience at a nursery and a special needs school. I managed to get into 4/6 unis I applied to!
As for the "you may not get a job at the end of it"- don't worry about this yet! It's true there are a limited number of jobs, but a few years ago this wasn't the case, so things can often change. Equally, I managed to get my first job a couple of weeks after graduating, so as long as you're willing to be flexible with what you want to do and where you will do it- it's definitely doable. I would just concentrate on whether you think it's something you can see yourself doing for the next 3/4 years at the moment, and if it is, don't be disheartened, just do as much as you can to secure yourself a place on the course!
Original post by Georgiahoneybee
Ooh you sound just like me! I was introduced to SLT by our careers advisory woman, but she told me I'd need to take Biology, which I couldn't stand the thought of. I ended up taking English Lit, History and German and I got into 4/6 universities I applied for (the 2 I didn't get into, UCL and Sheffield, both called the course "speech sciences", so I wasn't overly surprised, although I did get an interview for both). In my year there was a real mix of different academic backgrounds. My best friend had taken Biology at A level and during our medicine modules she certainly said it was an advantage. I did find this aspect difficult, perhaps more difficult than some of the others, but it was by no means impossible. I think Reading is historically quite a linguistics based university (which was one of the reasons it appealed to me so much), but obviously there are certain "sciency" areas you do have to cover. In terms of this affecting how well you do and how much you enjoy the course, I ended up managing to get a first and I absolute adore speech therapy. So I definitely wouldn't write it off!
As for work experience, it's really difficult to get to shadow an actual speech therapist, because they are so difficult. So I always think it's best to try and find a way to volunteer with relevant client groups. As far as children are concerned, working with different age groups can really help- I had done work experience at a nursery and a special needs school during my year 10 work experience, and then throughout sixth form I volunteered at Brownies. With adults, your best bet is to look through charities. Before I got my job, I was volunteering with the Stroke Association at their communication rehab groups, which I loved. I just rang up my local branch and they were more than happy to help. If you google local organisations you should get a good idea of where to start.

I'm glad you liked it. As I've written here before, I absolutely loved it, can't praise it highly enough.
I know, I remember being massively daunted by the number of applicants to the number of places. It is a very competitive course, but if you have the grades, a strong personal statement, relevant experience and a real passion for the course, then I think you stand a really good chance. As you've said, obviously academically you have to make your grades and I imagine that is fairly non-negotiable. Personal statements are what they're going to use to decide whether or not you'll be short-listed. In the case of Reading, if you're short-listed you'll get a questionnaire to complete (at least you did when I applied in 2007 and I don't think that's changed). I know on here they can take a look at your PS, and I made sure I made the most of any such opportunities available at my school. I think work experience is probably something which helps differentiate between applicants- read above my suggestions for perhaps how to go about that. I would just make sure that whatever experience you do manage to get, you really explain how this will help you on the course- don't make them infer it, explain it. As well as being a competitive course, it's also a demanding course, so I think you really need to show just how keen you are to do it. Work experience shows this, but also reading relevant books (I always recommend David Crystal's Introduction to Speech and Language Pathology as a really good starting point) can definitely help.
I would definitely suggest taking your time over the questionnaire. I remember drafting my answers about a million times before filling in the actual form. Obviously always get someone to check them for any obvious spelling/grammar errors, but try to include as much as possible. I have very small writing and I remember having to really cram in my writing into those boxes, but this is your chance to sell yourself. I can't remember exactly what they asked, but make sure you're prepared to justify why it is you want to go to Reading specifically. You're one step ahead here because you went to the open day (I didn't go before applying) so hopefully you'll have lots to say here. (Sorry if it's not a questionnaire any more, but I'm sure unless you're a mature student, it is).
Good luck :smile:

It is a really competitive course, but don't let that put you off. If it's what you want to do, then go for it! As PhoenixFortune has said, it sounds like you're an ideal candidate for the course. Obviously most universities are quite open with which subjects they will take, but I know Biology is looked on very favourably (and as I stated in my first reply to bright eyes, it will definitely help once on the course), as are English Language and Spanish, as they will help with the language/grammar aspect of things. So I think your subject choice is really strong, and you can definitely put forward a strong case in your PS as to why these subjects have helped prepare you for the course.
Work experience wise, it also sounds like you're off to a great start. As far as I'm aware it's quite unusual to get to shadow a speech therapist before you actually start the course (I know I didn't) so that's excellent, and you can really make a big feature of that and of what you learnt from that. Working with people requiring respite care is a client group an SLT may work with, so that's definitely relevant. I would say when it comes to work experience that I don't think you can have too much, so if you can find any more opportunities to work with relevant client groups then that will make your application even stronger.
To give you an idea, when I applied in 2007 I took English Lit, German and History and was predicted AAB. As for work experience I had attended a local hospital open day designed for perspective SLT students, volunteered at Brownies and did my year 10 work experience at a nursery and a special needs school. I managed to get into 4/6 unis I applied to!
As for the "you may not get a job at the end of it"- don't worry about this yet! It's true there are a limited number of jobs, but a few years ago this wasn't the case, so things can often change. Equally, I managed to get my first job a couple of weeks after graduating, so as long as you're willing to be flexible with what you want to do and where you will do it- it's definitely doable. I would just concentrate on whether you think it's something you can see yourself doing for the next 3/4 years at the moment, and if it is, don't be disheartened, just do as much as you can to secure yourself a place on the course!

Thank you, you and PhoenixFortune have reassured me and made me determined to get a place. Thank you so so much :smile:
Reply 26
I am really interested in applying to this course but when I attended the open days it scared me due to the fact that with only around 27 places and with so many applicants and then with the chance that you may not get a job at the end of it, I am now really worried that if I apply I won't even be looked at :/
I am taking Biology, English Language, Spanish and Art and I am only predicted A,A,B, B at AS level :/
& then I've only got work experience working with people who need respite care and I have shadowed a speech and language therapist. I really don't think I stand a chance :/

I'm a bit daunted by the small number of places too, but if you want something you'll go for it. In the end you only really need one offer out of your five choices and you seem like a competetive candidate so I can't see why you wouldn't get that :redface: I don't have the shadowing because my PCT won't allow it, but you could try special needs schools (I got to meet one there, and see a treatment and progress chart) and maybe your local library runs a reading scheme? Mine does but only on saturdays, when I work, so i'm getting involved with my schools paired reading scheme instead :smile:
I'm a bit daunted by the small number of places too, but if you want something you'll go for it. In the end you only really need one offer out of your five choices and you seem like a competetive candidate so I can't see why you wouldn't get that :redface: I don't have the shadowing because my PCT won't allow it, but you could try special needs schools (I got to meet one there, and see a treatment and progress chart) and maybe your local library runs a reading scheme? Mine does but only on saturdays, when I work, so i'm getting involved with my schools paired reading scheme instead :smile:

Oh that sounds really good :smile: what a levels are you currently doing?
:smile:
Reply 28
Oh that sounds really good :smile: what a levels are you currently doing?
:smile:

Chemistry, biology and literature, picking up psychology next year as a fourth AS because I dropped mine too late to pick another up. Hoping for AAB, but my B will be in biology which lets me down a bit. :s-smilie:
Where are you thinking of applying to? I visited Newcastle and Sheffield recently and i'm already ridiculously excited for the whole application process :tongue:
Chemistry, biology and literature, picking up psychology next year as a fourth AS because I dropped mine too late to pick another up. Hoping for AAB, but my B will be in biology which lets me down a bit. :s-smilie:
Where are you thinking of applying to? I visited Newcastle and Sheffield recently and i'm already ridiculously excited for the whole application process :tongue:

Oh wow you sound intelligent! What did you think of Sheffield & Newcastle? I think I'm going to apply to Manchester, Sheffield, QMU, Reading & City :smile: & you?
I really want to go to Manchester but obviously you can't choose!!
I'm really excited too! But really worried!! I am so nervous for the AS results! So what I am going to be like next year I don't know :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Oh wow you sound intelligent! What did you think of Sheffield & Newcastle? I think I'm going to apply to Manchester, Sheffield, QMU, Reading & City :smile: & you?
I really want to go to Manchester but obviously you can't choose!!
I'm really excited too! But really worried!! I am so nervous for the AS results! So what I am going to be like next year I don't know :P

Not more intelligent, I just picked hard-sounding subjects! I would die doing art or spanish, i'm really not very gifted art wise and I love languages, but learning them is so difficult :tongue:

Newcastles facilities are amazing, it's a working clinic as part of the hospital and has a literacy service too which is something i'm really interested in.
Sheffield's are a little dated, and spread across three buildings across a road, but it's not really a problem, and they are planning to rehouse into one building. Facilities are just as good, just not as new, but I absolutely loved both and all the other aspects of each uni were great too!
I'm thinking Manchester too but unfortunately can't go and visit due to work on saturdays :mad: I love the city though. :smile: Also gonna go for UEA and Leeds Met most likely.
I'm really worried in case I didn't do as well as hoped, because that would put a bit of a dampener on my application if I didn't get good AS grades. My boyfriend is going off to uni this year so i've been helping him to get ready, buying his stuff, I can't wait for it to be my turn :tongue:
Not more intelligent, I just picked hard-sounding subjects! I would die doing art or spanish, i'm really not very gifted art wise and I love languages, but learning them is so difficult :tongue:

Newcastles facilities are amazing, it's a working clinic as part of the hospital and has a literacy service too which is something i'm really interested in.
Sheffield's are a little dated, and spread across three buildings across a road, but it's not really a problem, and they are planning to rehouse into one building. Facilities are just as good, just not as new, but I absolutely loved both and all the other aspects of each uni were great too!
I'm thinking Manchester too but unfortunately can't go and visit due to work on saturdays :mad: I love the city though. :smile: Also gonna go for UEA and Leeds Met most likely.
I'm really worried in case I didn't do as well as hoped, because that would put a bit of a dampener on my application if I didn't get good AS grades. My boyfriend is going off to uni this year so i've been helping him to get ready, buying his stuff, I can't wait for it to be my turn :tongue:

Oh A level Spanish is so hard :L There are so many tenses & conjugations its mind blowing! :L
Wow that sounds brilliant! I definitely agree with you about Sheffield & getting there was a bit of a nightmare! But its still an option so I'm not complaining!
Manchester was fantastic I fell in love with the course and the University! I go to the city frequently but the university was just amazing.
Yeah I am really worried that I haven't done well.
I would be so excited if I was helping someone get ready for university I would just be like swap with me?
:P
Reply 32
Oh A level Spanish is so hard :L There are so many tenses & conjugations its mind blowing! :L
Wow that sounds brilliant! I definitely agree with you about Sheffield & getting there was a bit of a nightmare! But its still an option so I'm not complaining!
Manchester was fantastic I fell in love with the course and the University! I go to the city frequently but the university was just amazing.
Yeah I am really worried that I haven't done well.
I would be so excited if I was helping someone get ready for university I would just be like swap with me?
:P

Where are you from? I'm from Doncaster so my trip to Sheffield was really easy, train, tram and done. A boy on the tram next to me was from Devon and they had four train changes or something :eek: if you were on the open day on the 14th of july I probably saw you, it was a tiny tiny group.
I can understand about Spanish, i'm half-heartedly learning Serbian but there are no resources really, so I can say stuff like "hi, my name is" and that's about it. :colondollar:
I will cry if I don't do well, i've worked really hard this year! and I know, I want to pop in his suitcase and hide in a cupboard or something :tongue:
Where are you from? I'm from Doncaster so my trip to Sheffield was really easy, train, tram and done. A boy on the tram next to me was from Devon and they had four train changes or something :eek: if you were on the open day on the 14th of july I probably saw you, it was a tiny tiny group.
I can understand about Spanish, i'm half-heartedly learning Serbian but there are no resources really, so I can say stuff like "hi, my name is" and that's about it. :colondollar:
I will cry if I don't do well, i've worked really hard this year! and I know, I want to pop in his suitcase and hide in a cupboard or something :tongue:

I'm from Cheshire but we had to travel through the peak district and it was like up and down all the way! If it was bad weather in winter I wouldn't get home! No I went to the open day in June!! Wow Serbian, that's amazing! I know I worked so hard too!! You will have to let me know! Hope you do well :smile:
Reply 34

No I will be applying in September too, just writing my personal statement now, which is very stressful haha.

Yeah, I was speaking to someone who suggested that taking a gap year and becoming a teaching assistant or a speech therapist assistant was a good idea, if you did not have much experience.

How much experience do you have?

I don't think I will be taking a gap year, but if I don't get accepted I will have to xx

Hey, yeah I do have a lot of work experience, its my mum really who wants me to have a gap year and also the course is 4 years so i wouuld rather get straight into it, you know? xx
Reply 35
Hey, i am going to city of London University on the 10 Sep 2011 and reading University on Saturday 8 October, anyone else going?xx
Hey guys! I've got an offer for the speech science course at sheffield, starting hopefully in september this year, so if you have any questions about personal statements, interviews or anything then i'd be happy to help! :smile: x
Reply 37
Original post by Lovelovelove:)
Hey guys! I've got an offer for the speech science course at sheffield, starting hopefully in september this year, so if you have any questions about personal statements, interviews or anything then i'd be happy to help! :smile: x

Hey, what questions were you asked at your interview at Sheffield?

I am really worried about not having a clue what to say at the interview.

As for my personal statement I have written way too much and I am now working to cutting it down haha xx
Reply 38
Hi,

I’m wanting to apply to an undergraduate Speech Therapy course this year but now that I’m pulling everything together for the application I’m getting worried about the high level of competition and the quality of the students with all their A grades and experience.

I’m 34 and I know that the criteria for mature students is less strict and I’ve written to Strathclyde and QMU who said they would consider me but I really feel that I’m not strong enough academically compared to everybody here, particularly as I only have a 2:2 in my undergraduate degree (its very frustrating as my course was officially the most difficult course to get a 2:1 in that year, only 2 or 3 people did).

My background for reference

Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology (University of Stirling - completed May 2000)
B.Sc. (Hons) Ecology (University of Stirling - graduated May 1999)

Highers -
English B
Biology B
Geography B
Physics C
Chemistry C

I also have Maths and French at Standard Grade.

I know languages is an academic weak point but I am hoping that my Japanese evening courses and my learning Vietnamese from my wife will make up for it and make me stand out!

I’m currently studying OU module (30 credits) Discovering Psychology and will start Health and Social Care soon (60 credits) but the results don’t come in time for my application.

I know there are other mature students who have less qualifications but they seem to make it up by having a relevant career i.e. teacher, carer, SLT assistant etc. All I have is volunteering experience (a year as an adult literacy tutor with people with learning difficulties, almost a year as a communication partner with a stroke group and I’m starting to work with an asperger’s syndrome group). I know people who have less volunteering than me but they are usually very strong academically (such as being an accountant). My career so far for reference is working in financial administration.

I also am lacking working all the clients groups as I have limited contact with children. I have sat in one SLT session with a three year old child as my experience. I also only have two days work shadowing with an SLT. I have tried to make up for it by doing all the recommended reading on University courses list on both SLT as a career and language and communication issues generally.

I don’t really have time to do much more studying or volunteering as I’m working almost full time to find the money to go to University.

In summary while I have done everything that is expected of an SLT applicant, neither my experience or academic qualifications are particularly strong. Given the standard of applicants and the competition I’m starting to feel like I don’t have much of a chance as I’m only applying to two Universities and both have high academic requirements. I’m really keen to be a speech therapist, I’ve worked all year to do what is necessary, but if I don’t get in this year, I’ll have to apply to do something else in allied medicine next year (I'm not reapplying as my application won't be that different). Meaning it will be another two years before I could possibly get into University and as I’m rather old, I’m not sure if I can wait that long.

Sorry for the rambling post, I guess I’m feeling reading this and last year's thread like SLT is a bit of a long shot, a bit gutted as it’s something I am really keen to do and I’m torn between giving it a go and most likely losing a year or if I’m better applying this year for something that demands less academic qualifications. So could anybody kindly advise me on how much of a chance I have and if there is one thing I could to make a significant difference to my chances what would it be?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
I'm from Cheshire but we had to travel through the peak district and it was like up and down all the way! If it was bad weather in winter I wouldn't get home! No I went to the open day in June!! Wow Serbian, that's amazing! I know I worked so hard too!! You will have to let me know! Hope you do well :smile:

I can imagine! I love the countryside though, I wish my route to Sheffield was a bit more scenic. The Serbian is a bit of a random choice really, a lady at my work is from Bosnia and she keeps teaching me the odd word. I hope you do well too! I get the feeling i'll be in this thread a lot, stressing over tiny things :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest