Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Finally a society I can relate to. Anything Blandings related is usually my favourite!

ReputationRep:
    I like Wodehouse, and he's really quite funny.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Joining this!

Only just started on the Jeeves novels, only on my second, but I absolutely love his writing style and wit. First series in a long time that has left me wanting to read more!

The books are a joy to read. I'm completely drifting through the J&W omnibuses.

ReputationRep:
    I see the BBC are going to make a new TV adaptation of Blandings but they're struggling to find a Berkshire sow to play the Empress....

ReputationRep:
    I love, love, love the Fry and Laurie adaptation of Jeeves and Wooster - has me in stitches everytime Have almost bought the books on numerous occasions, but was always a little dubious about them not being as funny (I rarely laugh out loud when reading...probably for the best actually considering most of my reading takes place in public areas!) However, this thread is getting me tempted to pick up a copy...and particular recommendations from anyone? Will probably stick to Jeeves and Wooster to start.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite Wodehouse character is (Stanley Featherstonehaugh) Ukridge.

Has anyone else listened to Wodehouse audio books? Martin Jarvis has made some incredible recordings of the Jeeves and Wooster books. But the supreme interpreter of Wodehouse was Jonathan Cecil. His readings of the Ukridge books and Jeeves and Wooster books are unparalleled, comic genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraipale)
    My favourite Wodehouse character is (Stanley Featherstonehaugh) Ukridge.

Has anyone else listened to Wodehouse audio books? Martin Jarvis has made some incredible recordings of the Jeeves and Wooster books. But the supreme interpreter of Wodehouse was Jonathan Cecil. His readings of the Ukridge books and Jeeves and Wooster books are unparalleled, comic genius.
    Haven't as of yet but I might just try these out!

ReputationRep:
    I'd forgotten about this thread!

The other day I was feeling ill and depressed, but then I remembered that I'd brought my Blandings omnibus to uni with me. Suffice to say I was soon smiling again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    I'd forgotten about this thread!

The other day I was feeling ill and depressed, but then I remembered that I'd brought my Blandings omnibus to uni with me. Suffice to say I was soon smiling again.
    I read they were making a TV adaptation of Blandings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    I read they were making a TV adaptation of Blandings.
    Found it! Wow, Timothy Spall and Jennifer Saunders - sounds good so far.

ReputationRep:
    Found it! Wow, Timothy Spall and Jennifer Saunders - sounds good so far.
    The last I heard, they were having trouble finding a suitable sow to play the Empress...

ReputationRep:
    The last I heard, they were having trouble finding a suitable sow to play the Empress...
    That has made my day.

ReputationRep:
    That has made my day.
    Yes, indeed, I read they were struggling to find a suitable Berkshire sow!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, indeed, I read they were struggling to find a suitable Berkshire sow!
    Well, she would have to be extraordinary. It wouldn't be Blandings without the Empress!

ReputationRep:
    Quite so!

ReputationRep:
    Love Wodehouse: no one can touch the perfection of his metaphors and similes.

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while since anyone posted here... I just came across an interesting article on the BBC website about P.G. Wodehouse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20900835

ReputationRep:
    This is probably sparked by the Blandings series that is being shown at (I think) 6:30pm on Sundays, starting this coming week. The Empress of Blandings is coming to a sty near you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This is probably sparked by the Blandings series that is being shown at (I think) 6:30pm on Sundays, starting this coming week. The Empress of Blandings is coming to a sty near you!
    Oh I saw they were filming that. Had trouble finding suitable sow as I recall...
    I'll keep an eye out for it

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.