Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.
    You're a first-year, aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    You seem like a lightweight, it's quite possible to not only attend lectures/study and drink, but to also hold down a job. Perhaps you need to control your alcohol intake and stick to the fruit juices.

ReputationRep:

More teetotallers get better degrees
    Evidence?

ReputationRep:
    For many they interfere. It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.

Nope. Alcohol interferes with mental faculties and thus work

I'm sorry, but that is utter *******s. Compared to the college as a whole, the drinking society actually have a higher proportion of firsts.

ReputationRep:
    This just cannot be true, unless you mean proportionally.
    Obviously far more drinkers get firsts than teetotallers because they so outnumber them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Evidence is better than outlandish statements.
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Evidence?
    Don't ask him for evidence, he'll make you google it so you can find the evidence he doesn't have to back up his ridiculous opinion!

ReputationRep:
    For many they interfere. It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.

I'm sorry, but that is utter b******s. Compared to the college as a whole, the drinking society actually have a higher proportion of firsts.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise that I had to have sex every time I got drunk, or that I was meant to fail exams miserably because alcohol had been consumed recently...

I propose a new hypothesis:

Judging people based on no evidence and assuming that people who drink are all unable to function is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you go to lectures during the day, and then do whatever you like in the evening. Just like anybody does, whether they're at school, college, university or in employment.

ReputationRep:
    What bull****, where is the evidence in half the crap you mentioned OP?

Anecdotally, I used to revise down the pub with a mate before our exams. We both got first class degrees.

ReputationRep:
    OP is an idiot.

ReputationRep:

Yes, but when I work I dont drink and when I have a day off, for example, a Friday night, drinking does not affext my work.

ReputationRep:
    Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).
    Are there any negative effects?

ReputationRep:
    One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.
    lolololololololol.

Plenty of people have active social lives and still do well at university.

University is but one facet of our lives - we are not studying machines. You wouldn't expect people at work to devote their entire lives to their job. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going out and getting your drink on as long as you make adequate time to study. All things in moderation, you know.

If people waste their years drinking - that's their fault.

Also - premarital sex is AWESOME DUDE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CamH)
    Are there any negative effects?
    There is a much higher likelihood of pulling a girl who looks alright under the smoky lighting of an underlit nightclub, only to find that once the beer goggles are removed and the cold, hard daylight hits her through the gap in the curtains that she actually has a face like a smashed cinema seat and is a size 22.

ReputationRep:
    Nah drinking is pretty safe.

Plenty of times I got smashed off my face at uni in clubs surrounded by young women, it didn't lead me to the vice of premarital sex!

ReputationRep:
    yep, i didnt get drunk first year, apart from when i was outside of uni. things may change thou..

ReputationRep:

Lol, I completely agree with you. Although it may not sound cool for me to say so, Universities are not pubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hummingbird28)
    Most of the people at uni are adults, infact all!! and are entitled to do what they wish!
    Lets get real! Our parents drink and still manage to earn a living for themselves and their family! Thats why uni is different from school, because it prepares us for REAL life.do you think scientists or mathematicians, physicists dont drink!!!!!
    Work and play are both a part of live.At university we are not training to be priests who are supposed to abstain from alcholol and all such vices that you've quoted.we are studying to get a degree that will make us work in real world!!
    Are you aware that they're students that go to university to train as priests ?

ReputationRep:
    Beer is for drinking, not studying.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.