Turn on thread page Beta

Glee Speculation and Discussion Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! I've just seen I am unicorn!!!
    Quick!!!!
    CLIFFHANGER ENDING!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    E Online: First Look: Get Ready for the Best Episode of Glee…Ever! (Yes, Ever!)

If you watch only one television show next week, let it be Glee.

What? What’s that you say? You used to watch but it fell off your DVR schedule? Or you never really thought it was your thing?

Well then, you especially better watch. ‘Cause I just got my hands on a screener for this Tuesday’s episode (through supersecret channels…Shhhh) and can tell you without any hesitation: It is arguably the best episode of Glee, not just this season but in the history of the series.

Yeah, you heard me.

Why? Here’s the scoop…

Glee has completely found its heart again. And then some.

As you fans know, Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and the cast has been telling us for months that Glee is returning to its roots, focusing on the core characters instead of guest stars, and getting back to the emotional crux that made many of us fall in love with the show in the first place.

Well, get ready to fall again. This Tuesday’s episode, “Asian F,” not only presents one of the best storylines for fan-favorite underdog character Mike Chang (Harry Shum Jr.), it also presents the best work we’ve seen yet from Amber Riley, Heather Morris, Lea Michele, Matthew Morrison and Jayma Mays. And even better, some of you fans will be elated to hear that Mr. Schuester and Rachel are once again likable and relatable. (So long, cocky manwhore and grating diva!)

The storylines are tight, grounded, completely believable and emotionally gripping. The musical numbers are mind-blowingly good and introduced through organic, and yet unexpected, ways.

Oh yeah, and you will cry.

Without giving too much away, here’s a little scoop on what you can expect from Tuesday’s Glee:

The best Heather Morris number ever: “Run the World (Girls).” (You may feel an uncontrollable urge to get up and dance.)
    Harry Shum Jr.’s first solo. It’ll blow you away! He is amazing in this episode, and proves himself fully worthy as a full-fledged series regular. Also, there’s a scene with his mom that will make you cry.
    The best Amber Riley performance ever, as she seeks to prove she’s a lead in her West Side Story audition.
    A “Maria-Off” between Rachel and Mercedes that “we’ll be talking about forever,” according to Kurt.
    My favorite-ever Will and Emma scene toward the end of the episode. (Bring Kleenex.)
    A “supremacist” storyline that will make you laugh…then cry.
    A nod to The Glee Project. (There are auditions for the school play, you know!)
    A Mercedes twist that changes the course of the season.
    Coach Bieste perhaps sums up this episode best: Prepare to be “emotionally pancaked.”

It’s that good.
    Cannot wait for Run the World :woo:
    I'm guessing the Mercedes twist is her leaving to Shelby's glee club with Santana... or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e hine e)
    I enjoyed the episode.

I enjoyed this

even more

(Original post by AmyLH)
    and thisssssssssssssssssss

Santana's proud smile in the background
    PS: How hot is Hemo in that!

I have a new phone waiting downstairs for me and I haven't even opened the box yet. I am obsessed.
    Am I missing something? I didn't see either of those scenes in the episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Am I missing something? I didn't see either of those scenes in the episode.
    those are spoilers from the next episode

ReputationRep:
    Oh yay, unspoilered Glee chat. I never know where to get my future info from (I was never any good at tumblr) so this is lovely =].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by museobsessed)
    those are spoilers from the next episode
    Ahhhh. That makes more sense then.

Maybe we could label which episode they belong to? Either that or I'm going to end up one confused monkey.

ReputationRep:
    goodness me

honestly

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who totally agrees with what Bieste, Emma and Artie said about Kurt?

If you look at other gay actors (John Barrowman, Neil Patrick Harris, Ian McKellan) they can all play straight/macho characters without coming across as camp in their roles (which John Barrowman and Ian McKellan certainly are to a degree, having met both), which Kurt struggles with, so I think it's a valid point that he needs to work on. He's not a very good actor if he can't stop that. To the same degree, straight actors (off the top of my head, Darren Criss) have to act camp without coming across as parodying or satirising the gay community.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh. That makes more sense then.

Maybe we could label which episode they belong to? Either that or I'm going to end up one confused monkey.
    Sorry, will do that in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLH)
    Sorry, will do that in the future
    Aw, I wasn't accusing anyone, just that it sort of makes sense. Otherwise, you know, spoilers are going to be flying around and I get confused easily that way.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I wasn't accusing anyone, just that it sort of makes sense. Otherwise, you know, spoilers are going to be flying around and I get confused easily that way.
    No I completely understand. Was too excited by the Brittana scene to be thinking properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunky x)
    Am I the only one who totally agrees with what Bieste, Emma and Artie said about Kurt?

If you look at other gay actors (John Barrowman, Neil Patrick Harris, Ian McKellan) they can all play straight/macho characters without coming across as camp in their roles (which John Barrowman and Ian McKellan certainly are to a degree, having met both), which Kurt struggles with, so I think it's a valid point that he needs to work on. He's not a very good actor if he can't stop that. To the same degree, straight actors (off the top of my head, Darren Criss) have to act camp without coming across as parodying or satirising the gay community.
    yes Kurt is right about the fact that he needs to be able to play straight parts but hes a character and you're comparing him to actors. I honestly don't think Chris Colfer would have a problem playing straight parts.

ReputationRep:
    Also, wouldn't this discussion be better in the other thread, so everyone can take part?

To be honest, I don't really buy Darren Criss as gay. Blaine just doesn't work for me. To me, his sexuality seems forced and not really that natural. Again, either that's the actor's spin on it, or he just can't do gay well.

yes Kurt is right about the fact that he needs to be able to play straight parts but hes a character and you're comparing him to actors. I honestly don't think Chris Colfer would have a problem playing straight parts.
    Why not compare them to real actors, seeing as they would be compared to them in the show? Regardless of that, Kurt/Chris is always going to have two flaws in acting straight: his walk and his voice. Voice can be changed to a certain extent, but walk is one of the few things you really can't change, not for long. That's not to say he won't be able to play straight characters, but that there would either be something off, or he might have to add a camp spin to them for it to work with him, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Granted- but seems pointless to bring the point up if they're not going to be realistic about Kurt's abilities. And I'm sure Chris Colfer could, but again, aiming for realism as opposed to a caricatured gay person.

ReputationRep:
    Why not compare them to real actors, seeing as they would be compared to them in the show? Regardless of that, Kurt/Chris is always going to have two flaws in acting straight: his walk and his voice. Voice can be changed to a certain extent, but walk is one of the few things you really can't change, not for long. That's not to say he won't be able to play straight characters, but that there would either be something off, or he might have to add a camp spin to them for it to work with him, in my opinion.
    Chris is not Kurt though. Its more sensible to compare Chris to other actors than Kurt because Kurt and Chris could have completely different levels of acting ability. Kurt seems to really struggle with playing straight roles, but I don't think Chris would. Its like how Mike Chang can't sing but Harry Shum can. Kurts acting skills are not the same as Chris's. Do you see what i'm getting at? I'm not sure how clear i'm being

ReputationRep:
    Granted- but seems pointless to bring the point up if they're not going to be realistic about Kurt's abilities. And I'm sure Chris Colfer could, but again, aiming for realism as opposed to a caricatured gay person.
    we're not sure if Kurt gets the part yet! I mean clearly Blaine is a better Tony, maybe he'll get the part

ReputationRep:
    Chris is not Kurt though. Its more sensible to compare Chris to other actors than Kurt because Kurt and Chris could have completely different levels of acting ability. Kurt seems to really struggle with playing straight roles, but I don't think Chris would. Its like how Mike Chang can't sing but Harry Shum can. Kurts acting skills are not the same as Chris's. Do you see what i'm getting at? I'm not sure how clear i'm being
    Perhaps, but skunky x was talking about Kurt, you're the one who drew Chris into it.

Like I said, I have my doubts that Chris could do it convincingly without making the straight guy camp, which is fine, because of both his voice and his walk, but that would cause people to wonder.

we're not sure if Kurt gets the part yet! I mean clearly Blaine is a better Tony, maybe he'll get the part
    I reckon Blaine will turn the part down to save Kurt's feelings and Kurt will get pissed off at him for it.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, but skunky x was talking about Kurt, you're the one who drew Chris into it.

Like I said, I have my doubts that Chris could do it convincingly without making the straight guy camp, which is fine, because of both his voice and his walk, but that would cause people to wonder.

I reckon Blaine will turn the part down to save Kurt's feelings and Kurt will get pissed off at him for it.
    True but in the show Kurts recognised his own acting failings and hes wishing he could be better. Its not like he thinks he's brilliant at it, and hes only in high school. She was comparing him to established, much older, actors who have all be critically acclaimed. Kurt may just not have the capacity play straight convincingly.
    I brought Chris into it because theres a certain amount of overlap between the two and alot of people don't know very much about Chris. Chris got into Glee straight out of high school and hes not really had a chance to show that he can act in other roles. I'm eagerly anticipating Struck by Lightning so he can prove me right that he can play any role he likes and do it amazingly

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't really buy Darren Criss as gay. Blaine just doesn't work for me. To me, his sexuality seems forced and not really that natural. Again, either that's the actor's spin on it, or he just can't do gay well.

Maybe, but I just think it's unfair any criticism that may arise for saying that the can't play Tony. And Blaine is a better choice for that part regardless of sexuality.

But yes, that will have to be adjusted for him (Kurt) to garner any straight roles.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but I just think it's unfair any criticism that may arise for saying that the can't play Tony. And Blaine is a better choice for that part regardless of sexuality.

But yes, that will have to be adjusted for him (Kurt) to garner any straight roles.
    Nyah, anyone who criticises him for it is silly.

I think Kurt could convincingly play a leading man, but it's about changing people's perceptions of what a leading man should be. Traditionally, they're the socially accepted definition of 'masculine', which is problematic in itself. It's about time an alternative view of who a romantic hero/lead is was portrayed in the arts.
    I disagree. It's nothing to do with the concept of a leading man, because that concept is as wide as there are genres and audiences. Kurt could easily play a leading man, but that does not necessarily mean he could convincingly play a straight, non-camp leading man.

The issue with things like West Side Story is that every performance links into every other performance. It's like a stream, where each performance is just a cup of water taken out of it. Sometimes directors take the stream down a totally different route, and it becomes something completely different. However, they tend to be subcultural specific. The mainstream versions have to bow down to the weight of the tradition of the play and how the play is written itself. If that calls for a "masculine" character, then so be it, and to try and change that whilst remaining true to every other part of the play will cause a discord within the audience who will know the character, and thus the tradition, and will seek to rectify the "mistake". Not that it is a mistake, but you see what I mean.

Moreover, every actor brings part of themselves and their reputation to a part and this is where Kurt's gives him a disadvantage in the case of playing traditional straight males. You saw everyone laughing at him in the episode when doing the scene from Romeo and Juliet.

Kurt can play straight men, just not traditional straight men. He can do leading roles, no one has suggested otherwise, but just because he can do leading roles and play it straight doesn't mean he is right for the part. This was highlighted strongly, for me, by his choice of audition song.

As for Chris, his voice doesn't make a difference as to whether he can play a straight role in a believable way-there are some 'camp' (hate that word) or effeminate men who are straight, so it's about changing how we view a leading man, rather than looking at someone, saying they're not a traditional leading man and dismissing them.
    Of course it does. One of the first criteria for determining who is gay is their voice. The others are dress sense and way the person walks. I've never once said he couldn't play camp straight man, in fact I outright said he could, I just don't think he would do well as a "traditional" straight male. As the last episode shows, Kurt doesn't respond well to keeping himself hidden, he couldn't even stop himself doing jazz hands. Any straight role he plays, he will add himself to it, which is fine, but it will mean the role will become camper. This is not a bad thing, but it does mean that there are people out there who will question the character's sexuality.

It's also quite telling that those who are "straight acting" gays are often also called "self-hating" gays in their subculture.

Again, no one has spoken about the leading man at all, we are talking about straight roles.

I really don't get this. He's not trying to play a gay person, he's playing a guy who's in love with Kurt. When I watch his scenes I fully believe he's in love with Kurt, which makes him pretty gay by my definition of the word.
    What's not to get? The character has stated he's gay, he's with Kurt, and yet I don't get that vibe with him at all. His scenes with Kurt, whilst cute, feel awkward on his part and any time he is talking about homosexuality in regards to himself, it really doesn't ring true for me. Criss isn't making it believable for me that Blaine is either gay or in love with Kurt. Again, he might be doing that intentionally because Blaine "was" confused about his sexuality, or it could be just that Criss can't pull out being gay.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.