Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You realise thats a complete contradiction in terms right?
    You can't have everyone doing degrees yet people being blocked doing them due to lack of space...
    Or you can crawl back into your hole and stop looking for faults.

You clearly understand that what I was saying was that people are doing degrees in everything and this those that are are clogging it up for everybody else who wants to do it in something proper./

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sities_by_size

So in the top 10 keepers we then have:
    Plymouth
    MMU
    Sheffield Hallam
    and UWE

Good stuff
    Those statistics do not show how much the universities are valued. Just the nominal size of them.

A small university with a really great course with great employment prospects would be more highly valued than a big sausage machine university by most people. You cannot know which universities people value the most highly, data will not tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    Or you can crawl back into your hole and stop looking for faults.

You clearly understand that what I was saying was that people are doing degrees in everything and this those that are are clogging it up for everybody else who wants to do it in something proper./
    But they aren't though, increasing the number of burger flipping courses doesn't hold back anyone who wants to do physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Those statistics do not show how much the universities are valued. Just the nominal size of them.

A small university with a really great course with great employment prospects would be more highly valued than a big sausage machine university by most people. You cannot know which universities people value the most highly, data will not tell you that.
    How do you measure the 'valuedness' of an institution then?

If data can't determine it you have no objective method for culling peoples place of study.

ReputationRep:
    So what would happen to all the students that have a degree from those axed unis? Will they be compensated?

ReputationRep:
    Probably a good idea, you know you have too many when so many relatively small towns have TWO universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    So what would happen to all the students that have a degree from those axed unis? Will they be compensated?
    Nah, well students who had their dept close underneath them haven't before at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Degrees don't become invalidated because the university transforms or closes. UCL degrees were until recently awarded by the federal University of London like most other colleges, but degrees from before the change to UoL-awarded degrees didn't suddenly become invalid just because the awarding body changed.

People holding vocational qualifications from when the ex-polys were still polys are, conversely, not entitled to have a degree in lieu of their polytechnic qualification just because their polytechnic is now a university.

O-levels don't translate to GCSEs.

Essentially, they keep their degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Good. Maybe all the **** ones will disappear.

(Original post by Quady)

If data can't determine it you have no objective method for culling peoples place of study.
    Would imagine the logical way would be to take how much of a burden on the taxpayer a university is, how much the university brings in terms of revenue, number of students who go into a field where their university course is applicable and drop out rates into account, then make a judgment based on that.

although in this system some "top" universities would not fair so well.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the days when people would post a link and discuss it themselves in the OP. I miss those days.

ReputationRep:
    Never believe what a political party saying so long from a general election. Or before a general election. Or during a general election. Or even after....

Basically, it won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I remember the days when people would post a link and discuss it themselves in the OP. I miss those days.
    Yeah, but at least this is better than people putting a link to an interesting story and giving mad commentary around it :P

But yeah, this just post a link thing has become pretty prevalent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    It's as if TSR members pay by the character to post new threads. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

You cannot externally. Only individuals can judge. This is one of the fundamental reasons why central planning cannot work.

The best thing to do would be to get rid of the quotas government imposes on university courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yeah, but at least this is better than people putting a link to an interesting story and giving mad commentary around it :P

But yeah, this just post a link thing has become pretty prevalent
    I'd rather they did that than what we've got now.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    It's as if TSR members pay by the character to post new threads. :confused:
    I'm also pretty damn sure it's against the rules of the site. I think they're even meant to give a damn summary about the article as well. Though that might've changed.

Also, this is a pretty good idea of his:

""You put the dentists and the doctors and the accountants in the vocational colleges and I think that would deal with the class issue," said Lord Glasman."

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a really good idea - I think it should have been done long before.

Also, does anyone know whether this would result in cash being freed up, which could be put into lowering tuition fees or giving more funding to other unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What does that mean though?

How do you decide what's the top half?

Those who give the most 2.1+ degrees?
    Those that are the most profitable?
    Those with the lowest drop out rate?
    Those with the highest average grad starting salary?
    Those with the highest intake grades?
    Those with the highest value add?
    Those with best research output?
    Those with the lowest CO2 output?

Whatever you choose its going to be a fail...

ReputationRep:
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gazaphys13)
    I think this is a really good idea - I think it should have been done long before.

Also, does anyone know whether this would result in cash being freed up, which could be put into lowering tuition fees or giving more funding to other unis?
    Or reducing the structural budget deficit?

Yes it would, depending on how you chose the unis to axe.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.