Turn on thread page Beta

"Please step back from the platform edge" Why? watch

ReputationRep:
    Didn't a buggy travel off the edge and into the way of a passing train because of the vibrations? In Melbourne I think and the baby was fine but you know.

ReputationRep:
    They have this announcement a lot at Wimbledon station. They have 2 platforms where fast trains frequently pass through, these are next to the platforms that stopping trains stop at.
    If you were in Wimbledon then you'd probs understand why they have that announcement!! The fast trains through there go past at about 100mph...very fast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaddyT)
    Also on a more serious note if you have ever been to MK station you would know why.
    Growing up in MK I have been there a few times, I don't see your point.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't get ****ed by a train.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fwed1)
    Most likely because just about every long-distance train from Euston goes through it, which presumably includes a lot of express trains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    Most likely because just about every long-distance train from Euston goes through it, which presumably includes a lot of express trains.
    Fair enough, a lot do stop though and there are many express trains who go from MK to Euston

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fwed1)
    Was on a 4 week course with work there a year back so used the station to get too and from and whenever I was there trains seemed to rattle through at some speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    This. Lots of trains from Buckingham**** tend to be fast/express trains. MK, Amersham etc...... not that I have been on one (but they pass through Harrow on the hill (the station I go to for college))

(Original post by fwed1)
    See above

(Original post by dandyr)
    They have this announcement a lot at Wimbledon station. They have 2 platforms where fast trains frequently pass through, these are next to the platforms that stopping trains stop at.
    If you were in Wimbledon then you'd probs understand why they have that announcement!! The fast trains through there go past at about 100mph...very fast!
    Yeah we have some mad trains going past West Ealing station. Ealing Broadway station is even worse. :zomg:

Heathrow Express passes my end..........it is reeeaaaalllly fast! Paddington to Heathrow in about 10 minutes. :shock:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, at some stations the trains do zoom past

ReputationRep:
    It's just another example of the mind-the-gap/warning-coffee-may-be-hot culture where people need to be reminded of every little danger after abandoning independent thinking and wanting all information pre-chewed for their consumption.

We should just let Darwin take care of the people stupid enough to stand with their toes an inch over the platform edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smirnoff)

Yeah we have some mad trains going past West Ealing station. Ealing Broadway station is even worse. :zomg:

Heathrow Express passes my end..........it is reeeaaaalllly fast! Paddington to Heathrow in about 10 minutes. :shock:
    Ever been at southall station when the heathrow express goes through? The wind hurts my face sometimes haha. The waiting room/box goes mental too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    We should just let Darwin take care of the people stupid enough to stand with their toes an inch over the platform edge.
    That's all well and good, but then someone needs to spend their time sweeping them up into a paper bag for disposal.
    Not to mention the enormous inconvenience to travellers often for a considerable time after the event.
    Train drivers generally find collisions with passengers traumatic and often need counselling afterwards.
    Legal services, police, accident investigation, miles of red tape, etc will get involved.

If someone killing themselves from stupidity would ruin several hundred other peoples' days and cost a heap of money, it's reasonable to take steps to minimise that risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dark Lord)
    If that were true, I'd use public transport more often.
    LOL, brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    That's all well and good, but then someone needs to spend their time sweeping them up into a paper bag for disposal.
    Not to mention the enormous inconvenience to travellers often for a considerable time after the event.
    Train drivers generally find collisions with passengers traumatic and often need counselling afterwards.
    Legal services, police, accident investigation, miles of red tape, etc will get involved.

If someone killing themselves from stupidity would ruin several hundred other peoples' days and cost a heap of money, it's reasonable to take steps to minimise that risk.
    You're right. In the future we'll move to fully automated trains so perhaps we can also get a fully automated body disposal system, so all those mind the gap and step back from the platform bull**** will not be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    Ever been at southall station when the heathrow express goes through? The wind hurts my face sometimes haha. The waiting room/box goes mental too.
    Tell me about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    The further back you're stood from the platform edge, the less likely you are to fall onto the track (or get pushed onto them by a large crowd).
    This.
    Really it's not that much more complicated than that.

ReputationRep:
    wow i never seen that before! never been round that side like!

At mossley hill near liverpool the long dist trains go real fast there too, the london midland to/from Birmingham NS and the virgin pendolino to/from Euston

ReputationRep:
    you don't question those kinds of statements.
    you just move away from the platform edge..
    i have never felt the urge to be underneath a train, maybe you do..?

ReputationRep:
    I do it naturally - otherwise some nutter or even a pickpocket running away could easily push you over the edge.

I must admit, I find some of the gaps between the train and the platform quite alarming at times - what's to make a tourist with no grasp of english expect such a large gap at certain stations.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard in train stations: "Please stand back from the edge of Platform X..... this train does not stop here"

Why do you have to step back? I see signs about turbulence from trains and I have seen some speedy *****es of through trains but........... does a train really generate all that turbulance and surely you can withstand it. Even so wouldn't it just knock you down a little bit or is this something worse?
    It has been proven that a fast moving train creates a mini vortex towards the back as it passes a station, last thing companies want is the vortex to be strong enough to lift you into the train, that's why there is the yellow or white boundary tape.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.