Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    The first one is some under-marinated chicken tikka with yoghurt, lemon juice and coriander on naan bread, and the second is chilli con carne. Both done to Jamie Oliver's specifications.

The third is bangers and champ which tbh is seldom an attractive dish to look at, even more so now I managed to overdo the onions and flour in the gravy, making it look like I've poured baked beans on my tea. The recipe for the gravy was by Sam Stern.
    Ooh fantastic, cheers! I know what I'll be having for tea this week. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Stir frys. 3 for £2.50 at Asda.
    Also Jacket Potato and baked beans.
    Some frozen oven chips(about 60p for a big pack at Asda and really nice) with frozen peas(They are like 31p at Asda) and a chicken and veg pie(4 for £2 at Asda) or Quorn nuggets (sometimes on offer for £1/2 and 3 or 4 of them are really filling).
    For Breakfast bananas and apples are very filling and are very cheap if you get value ones from markets, Asda, Tesco. Also porriage oats.
    Also donuts for desert are really cheap but obv not healthy.
    Look at frozen, jars and tinned stuff for bargains- tinned peaches are like 16p, Asda big jars of pickled onions are like 20p and really nice (you can have them with chips or sandwiches).
    Also carrots are really filling and cheap.

If you can cook making a big chilli con carne with sauce, kidney beans, value mushrooms, value peppers, chopped potatoes and Quorn mince(optional) is very cheap and well last for days or even freeze well. Or you can make a big curry with just about anything.

These are cheaper, easier and healthier suggestion then most people are making, I mean cheese and tuna are expensive!
    The pasta thing (cheap pasta and cheap sauce) is kinda of a good idea but those sauces are full of sugar and salt and sugar and pasta is just carb nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Pasta bake. I pretty much lived off of it during exams. You can make it in bulk and I found I could keep it for up to a week. That's 6 meals sorted :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oggz)
    Isn't cheese expensive? :confused:
    only some cheese, for cheese on toast just get a block of cheapish cheddar or something - lasts ages as well

ReputationRep:
    Cheese is expensive if you buy bags of it ready grated, I mean how lazy can you be to not even grate your own cheese!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oggz)
    Isn't cheese expensive? :confused:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Not really.
    At £9.95 per kg I think you're mistaken

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=268768585

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    At £9.95 per kg I think you're mistaken

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268768585
    You can get perfectly good cheddar for less than £5 per kg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Three of mine this past week:

ReputationRep:
    I ate Pesto and Pasta a lot, sometimes added chicken or rocket.

Also stir frys.

ReputationRep:
    Jacket potatoes are cheap and filling.

Also, pasta is only £3.00 for a huge bag from Tesco, and you can make a cheap sauce for it using either tinned tomatoes or pasata, garlic and some herbs.

ReputationRep:
    i think its sometimes cheaper to just have take aways. that depends on which part of the country your living at. perhaps not the most healthiest option but does fill you up.

ReputationRep:
    Get some chicken breasts. Chop into smaller chunks. Brown the chicken bits quickly in a pan, then throw into long casserole dish. Throw a 'honey and mustard chicken away!' sauce (you can get them literally anywhere) over the top. If you feel like it, add some chopped onions, garlic, seasoning, carrots, sweetcorn, potatoes, etc. Roll puff pastry over the top. Chuck in oven for thirty minutes. Viola, a really, reaaally quick and tasty chicken pie dish that you can eat for dinner and use for lunch with leftovers.

ReputationRep:
    Stews. Make a big pot of stew and freeze in portions. So easy to make!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    You can get perfectly good cheddar for less than £5 per kg.
    Is less than £5/kg considered cheap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    Is less than £5/kg considered cheap?
    For the amount of cheese you should actually be using per meal, yes.

ReputationRep:
    While I spent a good time away from home, I found that, with little money and poor access to food and water, it was difficult to survive. Couple of things to remember:

-Buy the cheapest noodles you can find. Ration each one. Make a 10p pack of instant noodles last for two meals.

-You might find this gross, but drinking your own urine isn't so bad. If you have a water filter, pee into it and collect the filtered water from it. It'll still taste slightly of pee, but it's better. But don't keep it for too long, because it's a breeding ground for bacteria.

-Conserve energy. Carry the minimum load, control your breathing, make sure you walk the shortest routes to each location. You'll have to eat and drink less that way.

-Eat at other people's rooms/houses. Keep doing this until they get tired of you or don't have any food available. It works better if they're good friends with you.

-You might have to hunt a bit. You might be able to eat mice; you can catch them with some bait, and it's even better if you put up an advertisement for rat disposal. Visit these people's homes and offer to take the mice home. That'll be a good meal. Make sure they're cooked properly. Add mint for flavour (pick it from someone else's garden).

-If you're struggling for water, as said before, drink pee, but you may run out of pee. Collect rainwater and drink it. You can also get water by sucking the moisture from some leaves.

-If your parents offer to give you food, do it. No matter what it is.

-Go around bakeries asking if they're going to throw out any old bread/cakes/etc; you can eat some of these despite the fact that they say they're throwing them out.

-If it's really hot, cover your head. Try to avoid water loss.

-In the Winter, if it's snowing (like in Cambridge), collect some of the water and boil it using traditional fire methods. It will serve as a good beverage to start the day.

Reply if you want more tips on survival at university.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said - pasta/rice/spaghetti.

You can get big packs that can last quite a long time (unless you have gigantic portions like me I did...) but even then it's still crazily cheap. Just buy a few tins of sauces when they're on offer or even buy the cheap ones made by the supermarket themselves (like Tesco's own). Still taste good, cheap and you can add a few things to boost the taste cheaply too.

Failing that...beans on toast is a fine choice.

ReputationRep:
    clunge.

ReputationRep:
    Buy your meat from a local shop, your fruit + veg too! Eat a variety of foods i.e chineese, indian all have great recipies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siani-chan)
    Pasta bake. I pretty much lived off of it during exams. You can make it in bulk and I found I could keep it for up to a week. That's 6 meals sorted :p:
    Pasta bake? As in pasta baked in sauce in the oven? How does that keep for a week? I can't imagine it reheats very well.

My contribution:

curry.

Make in big batches and freeze/eat for a few days. Rice is cheap and easy to make and you can throw anything in a curry. Cheap, easy, job done.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.