Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Your missing the point, look at all the big names in Boxing today, they are big names cause they where big fighters nearly 20years ago. What when they leave the sport, we'll be left with people like Haye, who I believe is a terrible fighter.

All the young kid who once would have started in boxing are going to MMA, all the teen currently in boxing soon convert to the MMA.

Remember that MMA was only revived not long ago, and they are making big changed to it with plans plans for it. Boxing is currently dwindling and MMA will soon be the main combat sport.

I don't like it anymore than you do, but thats just what I believe.

So unless boxing gets itself another Tyson and 4/5 people that could rival him for a title, I think boxing may get it's life support machince out or start saving for a funeral...

Boxing is big not because young kids are becoming boxers, but because it is a properly administered sport and a good spectacle.

MMA is a ragtag collection of different competitions with different rules, no central body or regulation. What's more - it's a thoroughly dirty sport in the sense that there is no proper doping control.

MMA has years to go - probably 2 decades before it sees the Olympics. If there is no BJJ in the Rio Olympics, then you can probably add another 10 years to that. Until there is that kind of recognition, a central ruleset and a doping control - MMA has no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Boxing is big not because young kids are becoming boxers, but because it is a properly administered sport and a good spectacle.

MMA is a ragtag collection of different competitions with different rules, no central body or regulation. What's more - it's a thoroughly dirty sport in the sense that there is no proper doping control.

MMA has years to go - probably 2 decades before it sees the Olympics. If there is no BJJ in the Rio Olympics, then you can probably add another 10 years to that. Until there is that kind of recognition, a central ruleset and a doping control - MMA has no chance.
    As already stated, MMA is a revived sport, is pretty much new on the sporting scene in comparison the the old one. Like all new sports it needs time to grow yes, but where did I say that this change was going to happen over night?

Kids don't go to boxing becasue they become boxers, no. But they do go to boxing becasue their role model is a boxer/they enjoy watching the sport (and/or role model). But who are the role models for boxing today? The fact is that there are no outstanding boxers in the sport anymore. There are no Jones', no Holyfields' no Hopkins', no Tysons', like there was when the sport was huge. These were the guys that filled the boxing gyms with kids. Who is there now to do the same? Can you honestly say boxing hasn't become a fraction of the size it used to be?

ReputationRep:
    That is sure as hell alot of money but to succeed in sport period, money shouldn't be the motivation. That's a very good positive to come out being successful in your chosen sport. What's more important to you, success or a healthy bank balance? Mayweather's good enough to have both, not everybody is that talented I'm afraid. Not knocking you here but important to be humble in your goals

ReputationRep:
    MMA will never take over boxing at least not in my lifetime.

Tell me a world reknown MMA star ? There are loads for boxing. Boxing still sells when there is huge PPV attraction and it's watched worldwide. Okay I agree it's not as popular as it was back in the 60's and 80's. MMA's just doesn't have that same hype as boxing still remember those late night boxing events Hamed and Tyson fights and the sleepovers at my friends. Damn those were the days! I agree though it needs to happen more often.

ReputationRep:
    are you any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    I do boxing at the moment and have done for a couple years on/off, but looking at the money that Mayweather earned in his last fight, maybe I should forget about education and turn pro in boxing.

Sorry guys, that money that Mayweather earned was in US dollars, but still a huge amount of wonga lol. Even David Haye earned 25 million from his fight with Klitschko, so it's not bad nights work for that amount of money, even the loser gets paid well.
    I'm going into professional Downhill after Uni, racing for an international team.

Its all well and good talking about it, and I found this out the hard way, but there's an awful lot of people who want to do exactly the same thing.
    You need to be sure you're a lot more then "good enough", to even justify going.

I got a chance because I'd raced nationally, and I was scouted for several international teams. I stopped to do 6th Form, and now again to do Uni. But in three years I'll have contract possibilities at grade 3.

If you're sure you can do it, go for it. :yep: But to be honest, I'd run Uni first and then at least you've got something to fall back on, if it unfortunately does go tits-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    The Klitschko brothers have PhD's.
    Probably in boxing management or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hakz*)
    Probably in boxing management or something along those lines.
    No it's in sport science.

ReputationRep:
    Mayweather did not earn $80 million.

Please lets stop over exaggerating now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    No it's in sport science.
    That's something then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    I'm going into professional Downhill after Uni, racing for an international team.
    how come? I thought you weren't for uni this year?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutey! I believe so. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.....!!
    You need to claim that you'll eat your opponent's children too..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    how come? I thought you weren't for uni this year?
    I wasn't. But two things changed it:

1) I had a talk with my mates about how safe it was to have something to fall back on. If I injure myself, or something, its nice to have a degree to use as a safety net should the worst happen. An expensive safety net, agreed, but a safety net nonetheless.

2) I went down and visited some of my friends who went this year at John Moore's and Manchester, and they were having an amazing time and were all telling me how I needed to go. Putting the educational half of University to one side, the friends you meet, the laughs you have and the living off pennies just sounds great.

So I'm going back to re-sit an A2 this year, as well as take an AS and another A2 hopefully within a year at my old school, studying at home and going in for exams. But there's also me spending several months in Holland to live with my Dad for a bit, so its quite a packed year, but I certainly want to be in either Liverpool JM's or Manchester's Halls by a year today.

ReputationRep:
    I do boxing at the moment and have done for a couple years on/off, but looking at the money that Mayweather earned in his last fight, maybe I should forget about education and turn pro in boxing.

Sorry guys, that money that Mayweather earned was in US dollars, but still a huge amount of wonga lol. Even David Haye earned 25 million from his fight with Klitschko, so it's not bad nights work for that amount of money, even the loser gets paid well.
    This will only work if you really good.

Anyone can go pro but then get knocked out with a losing record and just becoming a 'opponent' for someone and get paid very little in the club circuit.

I would work in the amateur circuit and see how good you are there, if you start winning some decent titles a promoter might even approach you.

It will take hard work and dedication.

To earn that kind of money, having a great record i also not enough, you need to have a good 'personality', great excitement and create demand for people to pay to watch you.

It will take years or hard work, a bit of luck, a lot of guidance and of course talent and heart. Can't do it just for money.

Floyd, yeah hes rich, but he's a gym rat too, he earned a lot of it. Even Ortiz trained his heart and soul for most of his life to get to where he is, and before the Mayweather fight he was not earning in the millions.

ReputationRep:
    £80 - 100,000,000?

Dude.

That's quite the range. Want to narrow it down... at all?

ReputationRep:
    1.3 - 1.7 million PPV buys, that's not including the merchandise and gate sales, so it's been reported that it's reached 80 - (maybe) 100 million dollars. But Ortiz still got his guaranteed 2.5 Million dollars! which is kind of measly when you look at how much Mayweather earned that night! But who would turn their nose up at 2.5 million for 12 minutes work? (4 rounds).
    Mayweather doesnt get the whole amount you spanner. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    #TeamMoney
    haha he needs give us da Pacquiao fight, and the Khan fight would be real entertaining, 2 see da smug "British" **** get totally out boxed and then knocked over.

ReputationRep:
    Not every boxer makes that amount of money...alot of them make very very little, at a high cost. Over half of their purse can be taken by teams, trainers, promoters, docs etc. For every 1 successful boxer, there's hundreds more who haven't made it.

Also, professionally boxing means a sacrifice, eg. you need to quit your job, education and possibly family life to get all the training in.

Honestly, don't ever aim to be a boxer for the money, it just dosen't pan out well. You'd rather educate and keep boxing as a hobby until you're educated enough to manage to get a decent job.

Ex-boxer's don't do well on the job market, and if you've got a poor education, box, don't make it and quit, then you're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget you'll get your head banged and many head injuries, which will increase neurogical diseases, look at Mohammed Ali-clay now.

ReputationRep:
    Nathan Cleverley got a degree in Maths from Cardiff and he's right up there.

Possible to do both but takes alot of work !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 11, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.