Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)
    3. Why would they be? So the kitchen stays cleaner??
    Electrical PAT testing, it's like a fire/health & safety nightmare with a minifridge in each room. Sleep tight tonight, won't you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martyp417)
    on everything you own scrawl your name hugely all over it and please dont steal
    then put everything you put in the fridge in a box with your name on it and same in freezer.
    They ate it during a drunken party and then destroyed what was left, I doubt they're going to give a crap if it has someone's name on it.

(Original post by Supermanben)
    Surely she's responsible for her guests?
    Depends how much you feel like alienating your new flatmates but the simplest solution is to demand that she pays you for the damage and make a complaint about her to the halls if she doesn't. It may not be clear who actually did it, but she almost certainly breached her contract when she let a bunch of people in to get pissed (although of course we all do it).

Also interesting to note that in a strict legal sense she is probably responsible for the actions of her guests, although I think you'd probably have to be insane to start suing your flatmates over £35 a couple of weeks in to uni.

Otherwise get used to the rubbish reality of living with a bunch of university students.

pimp slap that girl.. is she mad? i personally would make an issue of it, i would be diplomatic but let her knw how mad i am and make her pay at least half no ifs no buts... if not i'll report or make her life hell... silly girl, decency should even tell her to pay you back, some scroungers have no morals man..

ReputationRep:
    hang the stuff that needs to be kept chilled in a bag from the window ledge

ReputationRep:
    i dont know i guess there isnt really a solution except either to not be these parties again or to take the food they CAN eat OUT of the fridge and then lock the fridge. (i realize this is highly impractical.) =S

ReputationRep:
    In these kind of situations it's not worth making enemies of your flatmates over £20 of food. I suggest you keep the food in your room and bring it into the kitchen to cook.
    Minifridge sir??
    I don't think it's appropriate to have to make such a large compromise for something you're paying a lot of money for.

IMO the person should reimburse you. If you don't resolve it you'll become bitter towards them. After all, they've "harmed" you and will have gotten away with it.

It will only continue if you don't nip it in the bud.

ReputationRep:
    Most people at uni aren't like this and incidents like this shouldn't happen again after freshers. I'd say this time just talk to her about it, and if it happens again report it to the person who runs your halls (while it's happening if possible).

ReputationRep:
    eat her food. and go 'thanks for the food it was tasty' and then she be like 'whutt?!' and then you be like 'you said I could have all of it when you were drunk remember?'

ReputationRep:
    Minifridge sir??
    You cannot have them in most unis, you trying to get the dude in trouble in his first week ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    eat her food. and go 'thanks for the food it was tasty' and then she be like 'whutt?!' and then you be like 'you said I could have all of it when you were drunk remember?'
    I agree, eat her food if she doesn't plan on paying back. Its what i would do

ReputationRep:
    Freshers week is a bit of a bacchanalian riot; after that it should quieten down quite a lot, and problems like this can be greatly reduced. As others have said, it's not really worth alienating others within the flat who you will be living with for the next year.

In general, however, food theives are not very bright, and they tend to go for the things they see first. Knowing this from living in hostels, I put all my food in a cool bag and put that in the fridge ("it keeps it all together" I said) - not even padlocked. The only time I have had someone nick my food is when I left it outside the cool bag.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be inclined to make a complaint to the relevant university authority.
    Even if nothing happens, knowing that it is getting reported will put people off doing it again.

I had food stolen from a communal fridge last year, as did someone else who had left a slightly snarky note on the door.
    The value of the food was almost nothing, but it was the principle which annoyed me.
    I reported it anyway, and the Dean said that it was considered a serious matter, even if nothing happened.

In general I would also advise never leaving alcohol in a publicly accessible place, and never leaving lots of overly expensive food lying around either.
    £35 is a lot to just leave out to the public. (I don't think that I've ever spent £35 in one go buying food when at uni...)

ReputationRep:
    Ask for the money for the food. Whenever she has guests over, she assumes responsibility for their actions. Written in most student accom contracts. You need to put your foot down now at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I can understand how frustrating and annoying it is for you. However, I think it is best to not make a big situation of it at the moment as you don't want to make enemies with your flatmates.
    Maybe ask he for a contribution towards your next shop. You could keep unrefrigerated drink in your room.

I hope it doesn't happen again!

ReputationRep:
    I have a question...did you know there was going to be a party?

If not, why were you not invited? What have you done to offend your flatmates in such a short space of time?

If so, why did you not go to a party in your own flat? Are you that antisocial? It's not like its a long walk home :rolleyes:

Furthermore, if you did know there was going to be a party full of hungry and thirsty drunk people, why in gods name did you leave alcohol and nibbles hanging around? Are you actually mental?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermanben)
    Last night some of the members of the halls where I am staying had a party lasting until 6 am I came down to breakfast this morning to find all my drinks stolen, food missing and what's left of the food thrown all over the lawn. Should the girl who organised the party pay me back she claims she doesn't know who did it but surely she's responsible for her guests?
    That especially was not at all necessary, and she is responsible for the actions of her guests.

(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Well you can't force her to pay, and if you have the money it's probably not worth making enemies over it. However, I wouldn't now feel any qualms about using her milk in the fridge and such, it's not like she has a leg to stand on if she complains.

If it becomes a regular thing, I would report it to the people in charge of your hall, and probably request a flat change. If it happens more than twice, I would think it's not worth even trying to be friends, and if she won't pay up, just use whatever food of hers is available until you next planned to go shopping.

However, if it's a lot of alchohol (like £50 or more) I would kick up more of a fuss and in future keep it all in your room.
    I'd advise against that.
    The whole thing becomes a "whoever gets to the fridge first gets the food" thing, and none of you ever knows if he has some food to eat when he opens the fridge.
    -But ask her if that's what she wants?

(Original post by Cloven Angel)
    every time it happens just use up her food and drinks...
    yes, taking from each other all the time and noones safe anymore, not really, makes the thing escalate imo.

ReputationRep:
    Get a sausage and mash it up with egg and cheese put in the microwave foe 30 seconds. proceed to victims room. Take a tissue and soak it in the mixture for 15 seconds. Proceed to apply on the top, side, and bottom of her bedroom door. And her headboard for her bed as well if you wish. Wait 2 weeks. Victim will move out.

You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Please Register)
    Get a sausage and mash it up with egg and cheese put in the microwave foe 30 seconds. proceed to victims room. Take a tissue and soak it in the mixture for 15 seconds. Proceed to apply on the top, side, and bottom of her bedroom door. And her headboard for her bed as well if you wish. Wait 2 weeks. Victim will move out.

You're welcome.
    Sounds like you have done this before. Dutteh

ReputationRep:
    bit of a ***** of her not to apologise. it may have not been her fault, but if it was me i would offered to pay at least half. did her food go missing?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if you can put any food in the freezer, do it. Most people when drunk really can't be bothered messing about defrosting food and would rather order a takeaway if that happens, so if you buy some meat, stick it straight in the freezer. Best way to avoid people stealing your food imo.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.