Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What dress size they are definitely affects most womens self esteem.

An ex-girlfriend of mine was a size 14, she is 5'7" and was a medium build yet she saw herself as being fat, because she wasn't a size 8 or 10, even though she would never be, this is because of the unrealistic pressures that the media and society put on women.

It took most of the length of our relationship for me to get her to begin to accept that she wasn't fat and that she was gorgeous with a fantastic figure, that it wasn't the clothes that made her look good, that in fact she made the clothes look good.

Raven

ReputationRep:
    Im 5ft1/2 and I find that size 6/8 clothes 5/6 years ago used to fit me (when I was 16/17) yet I have stayed exactly the same weight, and now size 6 clothes are too big for me, which goes to show that the sizes in shops have been made bigger. I find next, new look and top shop to come up pretty big.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I remembered once a skirt from rare fashion was once too small for me at a size 6, which seemed silly as Im 5ft1/2 7 stone, so how skinny did they expect people to be to fit into it?! It didnt get to me, but Im sure some people may have been upset by this.

ReputationRep:
    I am a size 10 and very happy with it - if I ever went up to size 12 I think I'd be upset, but equally I wouldn't want to be a consistent size 8 (although fitting into the occasional size 8 is a nice ego boost). It's more about how I look naked, the number on the scales and whether my clothes fit well than the actual size.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an 8/10, so I only shop in shops where I can fit into an 8. I refuse to buy a 10 because I feel like I've let myself go.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 6-8. Honestly, clothes sizes don't bother me, because i'm going to try it on anyways, so it doesn't matter if its vanity sizes or some universal system.

Living in vancouver, we have a huge asian population, and they are TINY. I go into a shop and i'm buying an extra large...and it fits me perfectly! yet the sizes range down into x-small. I'm always left wondering who can wear that, children?

The only thing that's frustrating, is finding an article of clothing i love, and discovering that all the 6 and 8, are gone. Sometimes i'll go up to a ten if its cheap enough. But i wish stores would adjust stock for this

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5ft 6" and clothes size 8 to 10. I don't mind wearing either size, because both seem to me to be a normal size, not too big and not too skinny.
    If I had to start wearing clothes several sizes larger my self esteem would get very low. If I started wearing smaller sizes it might also take a dip too - I'd start worrying about having a serious eating disorder or looking like a dressed up skeleton One size difference here and there though wouldn't bother me, only a significant change would.

Vanity sizing really annoys me. I'm not a girl who enjoys clothes shopping. I prefer to walk into any cheap clothes shop, grab something decent-looking that's my size, pay and hurry home. Normally I have to be forcibly dragged to a shopping centre else I wouldn't go at all .The fact one numbered size can actually be completely different from shop to shop and even within each shop, makes this so much harder. I think a universal size is desperately needed.

ReputationRep:
    When you look at that tag and think"am i really a size 12 now?!"

Just remember, "I wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear me"

Its about how you look when you wear it, not what the tag says

ReputationRep:
    Heyy!!

ii'm a size 6 and i can also get into size 4 tops. But for me i would be over the moon if i could go to the shops and by a size 8-10 - i hat being really skinny but i can't help it since i have an extremly high metabollic rate. So many people come up to me and are like 'OMG your're sooooo skinny - do you even eat' - and that's the worst thing because i eat like a full on pig like around 3-4 meals at once - I LOVE FOOD - but ppl dnt believe me.

On the whole i really can't change what i look like at the moment - so I say whatever you got flaunt it - so i managed to get into a modeling agency for the while.

xx

ReputationRep:
    Id love to be a size 10 although i do like to eat and i have to feel in the mood to exercise

If i go into a shop and buy my normal size ( 12) and it doesnt fit, i feel quite upset and go home.
    I do like it though when i go into a shop and have to buy the smaller size (yayyy)

I usually have to buy my tops, dresses etc based on whether my boobs will fit in them so they are usually too big around my waist and shoulders. Its annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Im a size 14 and couldnt really care less about what size i fit into being honest I had to buy a size 22 cardigan once to get it to fit and in some shops im about a 10 so i just see what fits and dont take the size to heart as everywhere is different anyway

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a size 14, but now I'm a size 10/12. I must admit, when I realised size 14 was too loose on me and even some size 12s, I was elated Equally, I would be very upset if I went back up to a size 14 now, as I'd know I'd put on a fair bit of weight.

It does bug me how different stores' sizes are not the same. M&S's sizes are slightly larger, and I find that Mango's sizes are slightly smaller. In my experience, H&M usually get the average right.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like shops which have 'S/M/L' because I'm always an XXL or something ridiculous like that. I don't mind buying 16s, that's fine - and for vest tops and things that I'd be self conscious of they were 'fitting' I buy up a size, but I just don't like being called extra-large.

ReputationRep:
    im usually an 8 but occasionally a 6 or 10 depending on shops and i usually by coats in a 10 so they fit over jumpers. I dont mind buying 10s it just annoys me that there is so little consistency between shops but it doesnt really matter

ReputationRep:
    vanity sizing is a negative thing, imo. right now i'm wearing a size 6 top and size 4 jeans and i wear children's clothes age about 8 up to 13 most days. i base my self worth upon what clothes size i wear, so if i'm a size 4 in something i feel better about myself than if i'm a 6 (i generally wear children's jeans though and size 4 is pretty hard to come by so i don't know about the vanity sizing there). i've seen a tall, thin girl on the internet say 'i'd kill myself if i were short and a size 10' once, and the other day i did wear a top that was a size 10 and i have an old skirt which i think is a 10 too so that makes me feel vile.
    all saints (a high end high street shop) seem to run really small, i tried on a bra type top in a size 6 or something there and i snapped the strap and my boobs were far too big for it.
    i think there is way too much stigma about women who wear 'larger' sizes. a really thin girl in my form was complaining about being fat and our male teacher told her the average woman is a size 16. and then all of the girls, even the bigger ones were laughing about how that's an 'evans' size. what's wrong with shopping in evans?

ReputationRep:
    There should be standardised sizing, definitely.

It annoys me if a shop has very strange sizing and this means I can't buy something there. I'm typically a 14 in jeans, but in Topshop their 14 is too small for me - but the one in the Hull branch that used to be nearest to me didn't stock anything above a 14, because apparently it wasn't 'economically viable'. So I couldn't buy jeans there. A bit of a first-world problem, granted, but an irritation all the same.

Aside from that, I don't really invest my self-worth in my clothes size. My self-esteem is altered by what I see in the mirror (whose isn't?) but that's to do with me saying to myself 'do I like today's outfit?', 'does it work well together?' and 'does it flatter me or am I just wearing a sack-like hoodie and some old jeans?'.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes sizes vary from shop to shop. I wear anything from an 8 to a 14, with 10-12 being the most frequent sizes. I always feel really happy when I fit into an 8, even though I know that it's the same size as my size 12 shirt for example, but just the number can trick me into buying the item.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    There should be standardised sizing, definitely.

It annoys me if a shop has very strange sizing and this means I can't buy something there. I'm typically a 14 in jeans, but in Topshop their 14 is too small for me - but the one in the Hull branch that used to be nearest to me didn't stock anything above a 14, because apparently it wasn't 'economically viable'. So I couldn't buy jeans there. A bit of a first-world problem, granted, but an irritation all the same.

Aside from that, I don't really invest my self-worth in my clothes size. My self-esteem is altered by what I see in the mirror (whose isn't?) but that's to do with me saying to myself 'do I like today's outfit?', 'does it work well together?' and 'does it flatter me or am I just wearing a sack-like hoodie and some old jeans?'.
    um what? why are topshop such sizeist bigots, there are loads of plus sized women who would happily fork out for size 18 jeans and whatnot if only topshop stocked them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberryruffle)
    um what? why are topshop such sizeist bigots, there are loads of plus sized women who would happily fork out for size 18 jeans and whatnot if only topshop stocked them
    I think it's my local one (it was a relatively small branch) and not every Topshop ever - but I really wasn't impressed! I appreciate that they have to stick to the rules of supply and demand and aren't providing a public service, but all the same, it's not like a size 16 is unbelievably gargantuan. (And it's Hull, too, where everyone is obese )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I think it's my local one (it was a relatively small branch) and not every Topshop ever - but I really wasn't impressed! I appreciate that they have to stick to the rules of supply and demand and aren't providing a public service, but all the same, it's not like a size 16 is unbelievably gargantuan. (And it's Hull, too, where everyone is obese )
    i just remember beth ditto asking them about it and they gave some equally stupid response

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.