Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theclash...)
    My school doesn't provide it because we don't get enough funding now, we have to buy our own paper to write on too school's are awful nowadays

Cheapest on ebay is £15, excluding postage and the cheapest drama one is 16 pound - also excluding postage

But thank you for your advice!
    Check these out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...condition=used

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

ReputationRep:
    What kind of school is this? Sounds ridiculous.

Definitely complain to the governors.

ReputationRep:
    This does seem really extreem. I wonder if someone is on the fiddle. Not even providing paper is just ridiculous before sixthform. Shouldn't they have the textbooks left over from previous years anyway?

I would seriously consider going to a local paper with this. They might even pay you for the story =P

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked that they don't have these in the school library if they're recommended. Whilst it may be possible to achieve an A* without them, there's no doubt that they would definitely help. I am with the others on this and say complain.

ReputationRep:
    These are the cheapest I have seen so far, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...condition=used

Drama one here for £2.78 including postage - I don't know if it's the right edition.

The Spanish one looks expensive, but maybe you can get an alternative textbook? They can hardly complain if you don't have the right one in class, and it will still have vocab etc.

It does sound like they are deeply wrong though - what kind of school makes you buy you own paper? My mum's worked at loads of state schools, and I've never heard of that before. I think the best chance you have is libraries, second hand books, or raising some money. Internet surveys and mystery shopping don't pay brilliantly, but you could probably save up £20 in a few weeks.

I hope you get them some way.
    I wish that was the right book, then it would be perfect lol. But thank you anyway!!

And my school said that it's struggling with the cut funding and has had to cut back on a lot of things, including paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mja)
    Assuming that you attend a state school in England or Wales, you should make a formal complaint to the school governors, and if that doesn't succeed, to the education authority. It is possible that - like many schools - your school is breaking the law as set out in the Education Act 1996.

Section 454 of the Act states:

"Neither the parent of a registered pupil at a maintained school nor the pupil himself shall be required to pay for or supply any materials, books, instruments or other equipment for use for the purposes of or in connection with—(a) education provided for the pupil at the school in respect of which, by virtue of section 451, no charge may be made, or (b)a syllabus for a prescribed public examination which is a syllabus for which the pupil has been prepared at the school."

There is always some scope for argument over the word "required". But if the books recommended are for use in connection with your GCSE course, and the school is recommending that everyone buys them, then they would appear to fall within the statutory prohibition. Even more so if the school concedes that in happier financial times they would have bought them for all students.
    This would not appear to fall within the statutory prohibition. Required basically means that without it you cannot fully take part in lessons/homework tasks/other compulsory activities. If a teacher is merely recommending it as useful to push yourself to a higher grade then it is not required for the course, it is an optional extra. Schools are not required to pay for optional extras for their students, even if they have done so in previous years. If work is set from these books, however, then they would be required and the school would be breaking the law.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of ghetto school are you going to where you don't get text books or even paper.

ReputationRep:
    for cheapest books, Amazon is the place
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by theclash...)
    Just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem?

I don't have enough money to buy the books required for my GCSE courses at the moment - as the school does not fund for them anymore due to cuts.

However my teachers have said that these books are really good at improving grades and I really want good grades in these subjects.

The main down side is that I know my parents can't afford to be buying me books at the moment, they are like £17 pounds each or something like that.

The books I need are-

Mira! Spanish GCSE Higher

and

Drama GCSE Edexcel

Anyone know where I can read these books, or find similar information, or even where I can buy them cheap (second hand) please, thank you!
    I used Amazon for some of my Uni books they were really cheap on there.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe see if you could get a few people in your class and split the cost on a book you could share beween you? You'd have to chance other people potentially losing it or hogging it all the time though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Maybe see if you could get a few people in your class and split the cost on a book you could share beween you? You'd have to chance other people potentially losing it or hogging it all the time though :dontknow:
    True, true. Not many people in my class are that reliable. But I might be able to go halfs with someone, there has to be at least one person willing to split the cost

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.