Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I sell suits, so i literally have to ask everyone if they need help, i'd lose my job if i didn't ask. We actually keep most of our stock in the stock rooms as were simply too small to fit it all in, were not being condescending when we ask if you know your size or you need help finding it as it could well will not be there.
    But lets face it how many people actually know whether your suit fit? i"m fully trained in fitting suits and can usually just look at a guy and know his size however due to me being a young girl customers think i know nothing.
    I ask if they need help they say no, two minutes later they are asking my colleagues (retired gentleman and a middle-aged gentleman) for help, both of which usually come straight back to me in the first place as i'm in charge of them and know the most about of the stock. The customers then comment right in front of me how i shouldn't be in charge and obviously don't have the experience and knowledge thankfully my colleagues tell them straight that i know my stuff..
    Mainly i do have really nice customers who stay and chat to me for ages whether they buy or not sometimes these chats are the highlights of my day however i have some awful ones i once had a customer throw a pair of trousers and the bag straight at my face (we have sharp paper bags) as i wouldn't give her a refund as she had no receipt, she wanted me to lose my job so she could have her refund. Usually its the awful ones that snap and are really rude to you and then later demand your help.
    Before i worked in a shop i could understand the initial groans however the retail environment is so pressured we bend over backwards for unappreciative customers..
    We have a wall at work devoted to appalling ways in which customers have left items after looking at/trying on. I'm paid to put them back just let me do it for you saves me a job later! I automatically tidy in any shop i go in now and make sure if i try anything on (especially coats) are all fastened perfect or if i can't work it out i give it straight to the assistant and apologise.
    So in conclusion instead of complaining at us be nice!!! We all got to work, come talk to us, say thank you! We try our best for you!

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when security guards are following me. I always pay, never stolen anything. I like to think I don't dress like what they stereotype as a "thieft" or whatever lol

But yeah agree with some of the points you listed.
    For me the WORST is, when you go to the till and I greet the cashier/shop assistant AND smile whilst making eye-contact. They DO NOT even make eye contact and mumble hi whilst looking down. Ergh!!! Especially when you are STILL at the till and they are taking the change out the till and say NEXT CUSTOMER! What the hell?
    I have been a shop assistant myself and understand the pain they feel but come on if you are getting nice customers treat them well. I am not expecting you to have a conversation with me, just at least say hi properly or even just smile!!!

ReputationRep:
    I also work in retail and would like to explain some things to customers. And no, I do not always enjoy my job nor being who I am expected to be. My apologies for maybe repeating some things here and there that may have been already said by others:

1. We are indeed forced to not only greet every customer, but also

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes if I get stalked by security I will return to the shop days later dressed as a chav and with a big coat, then just walk around and browse items while giving security dirty looks, then leave.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you have against shop workers, I have a thousand more against customers...

ReputationRep:
    Lol. This thread is what do customers find annoying about shop assistants. Instead it's attracted all the shop assistants.

ReputationRep:
    Some shop assistants are annoying as hell. You walk into the shop and straight away about 4 of them run up to you asking if you need any help before you've even got the chance to look around. Then you've got the really cheeky ones who try to pick clothes for you, normally the most expensive ones they can find. Then there's the stuck up ones who work in designer shops that like to follow you around the freakin shop to make sure you're not stealing. They even try to make it look like they're not following you by fixing shoes, clothes that don't need to be fixed ect whilst standing right next to you. Yes I do need a bag, where else am I going to carry it, on my head? And no I don't want to buy the stupid half price mascara displayed at the till.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bassbabe)
    Some shop assistants are annoying as hell. You walk into the shop and straight away about 4 of them run up to you asking if you need any help before you've even got the chance to look around. Then you've got the really cheeky ones who try to pick clothes for you, normally the most expensive ones they can find. Then there's the stuck up ones who work in designer shops that like to follow you around the freakin shop to make sure you're not stealing. They even try to make it look like they're not following you by fixing shoes, clothes that don't need to be fixed ect whilst standing right next to you. Yes I do need a bag, where else am I going to carry it, on my head? And no I don't want to buy the stupid half price mascara displayed at the till.
    Everything you've said here is just as annoying for the staff as it is for the customers. They are told to do this. If they don't, they get a warning and then it eventually leads to incompetence excuses. In one shop, they may be told that every staff must greet the customer, while in other shops this may not be the case but instead are told to keep an eye on everyone who walks in... I know it's annoying getting asked about the deals displayed at the till, but please just bear in mind that they are being told to say this, sometimes to 100+ customers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverTooLatte)
    Everything you've said here is just as annoying for the staff as it is for the customers. They are told to do this. If they don't, they get a warning and then it eventually leads to incompetence excuses. In one shop, they may be told that every staff must greet the customer, while in other shops this may not be the case but instead are told to keep an eye on everyone who walks in... I know it's annoying getting asked about the deals displayed at the till, but please just bear in mind that they are being told to say this, sometimes to 100+ customers!
    I've only ever worked on the till so I've never had to do any of the things you've mentioned. Sounds draining to do all of that on every shift

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.