Turn on thread page Beta

What can I do with a 2:1 + History degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah.meh)
    You can enter into pretty much any job (excluding medicine etc) the most important thing if that you go to a good uni, as its more about where a degree is from rather than what it is.
    Not sure why this was negged so much, it's pretty sound. If you have a good degree from a good university, you can apply for a lot of jobs. Your career doesn't have to be directly related to the degree subject choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    cool. try hard to get AAB, never mind about the lower offer, you will have even stronger prospects with jobs with good A level grades...... AAB is fair.

honestly
    Yeah, I'm gonna aim high so that I have margin for error as well, just want to get to university now, I got ABC and C in English Lit at AS, and to be quite honest with you, I never worked that hard, and the jump wasn't great from GCSE (got 5 C's with a couple of B's), so I'm confident but I guess I got to be careful not to underestimate A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srascal8)
    Yeah, I'm gonna aim high so that I have margin for error as well, just want to get to university now, I got ABC and C in English Lit at AS, and to be quite honest with you, I never worked that hard, and the jump wasn't great from GCSE (got 5 C's with a couple of B's), so I'm confident but I guess I got to be careful not to underestimate A-Levels.
    i am sure you do well, make sure the eng lit is B minimum, and i am sure if you work hard, you will achieve,,,,,

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    i am sure you do well, make sure the eng lit is B minimum, and i am sure if you work hard, you will achieve,,,,,

honestly
    No no, I meant I dropped it AS (getting a C with no effort (teacher said I'd U it)), currently doing History, Economics and Politics, so I hope that gives me an advantage in the application process, although, it wasn't overly subscribed and I do surpass the requirements, would be truly horrified if I don't get one :/

ReputationRep:
    No no, I meant I dropped it AS (getting a C with no effort (teacher said I'd U it)), currently doing History, Economics and Politics, so I hope that gives me an advantage in the application process, although, it wasn't overly subscribed and I do surpass the requirements, would be truly horrified if I don't get one :/
    then you should be fine, lol.....

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dark Lord)
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the Civil Service yet!
    Second that. Civil service is a very good choice. Working in the foreign office or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Owl of Minerva)
    Second that. Civil service is a very good choice. Working in the foreign office or something like that.
    This could be a good career path although at the current climate the public sector isn't recruiting much, and under this Con-Lib coalition it looks like there will be a move for 'small government'. Thus only the best may get these jobs, but its a good suggestion, and I appreciate it, just want to know that by doing a History (albeit with 25% economics) degree, I won't end up without a decent career.

ReputationRep:
    Masters in analysis = job in good law firm/Bank.

ReputationRep:
    Would you regard Manchester as a good place to get a degree?
    I hear that Manchester is a highly regarded uni in the business world and it may not do well in domestic rankings but internationally does well, and so is known as a solid academic choice, which should set you up nicely in the future

ReputationRep:
    pretty much anything. law, politics, civil service, banking, IT, journalism...
    I myself plan to take a masters in political science or a law course to solidify my career prospects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    pretty much anything. law, politics, civil service, banking, IT, journalism...
    I myself plan to take a masters in political science or a law course to solidify my career prospects!
    Surely there can't be many degrees which allow you to enter a broad range of disciplines in the way History allows you? Glad there's plenty of careers to consider, normally people go 'what you gonna do with that?! Become a teacher?', so it's nice to see such variety

I hear that Manchester is a highly regarded uni in the business world and it may not do well in domestic rankings but internationally does well, and so is known as a solid academic choice, which should set you up nicely in the future
    And, well, I'm going to hopefully get a graduate job in the private sector so hopefully businesses will be happy with a Manchester graduate, I don't understand why they're ranked so low in the UK tables, I mean Southampton, Sussex etc, perhaps it's because Manchester is such a large university offering courses from Arts, Sciences, Maths and Dentistry to the likes of Nursing But internationally, there's no one better other than Oxbridge and a few London unis.

ReputationRep:
    But internationally, there's no one better other than Oxbridge and a few London unis.
    ...Out of the UK universities, well perhaps Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Surely there can't be many degrees which allow you to enter a broad range of disciplines in the way History allows you? Glad there's plenty of careers to consider, normally people go 'what you gonna do with that?! Become a teacher?', so it's nice to see such variety
    yes, it's deffinitely a good one if you value flexibility or haven't made your mind up yet. also, a solid and academic subject! the only others I can think of that offer such flexibility are maths based, but those are for banking/accounting/IT jobs. If you're interested in arts/humanities and not a career in city finance, I think history is the way to go

that said, big city firms (finance mainly) seem to love chemistry grads... I honestly have never understood why.

ReputationRep:

And, well, I'm going to hopefully get a graduate job in the private sector so hopefully businesses will be happy with a Manchester graduate, I don't understand why they're ranked so low in the UK tables, I mean Southampton, Sussex etc, perhaps it's because Manchester is such a large university offering courses from Arts, Sciences, Maths and Dentistry to the likes of Nursing But internationally, there's no one better other than Oxbridge and a few London unis.
    You need to look at what the ranking include, domestic rankings rely on student satisfaction etc more than international rankings which is basically only academic and graduate job employability.

ReputationRep:
    You can go to the job centre every two weeks and pick up a cheque.

ReputationRep:
    You can enter into pretty much any job (excluding medicine etc) the most important thing is that you go to a good uni, as its more about where a degree is from rather than what it is.

Wow quite a few 'negs' :'( I'd rather you say why you disagree with this statement then neg and run
    it got so many negs because it was wrong.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you can pretty much do anything if you get the right experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88)
    it got so many negs because it was wrong.
    Wrong how? this is commonly known to be right. many companies do not even look at employing people from unis out side the top 20 and the target unis are the top 5, do surely its better to get a degree from a top 5 uni which maybe slightly off rather than get a fancy named degree from a uni barely in the top 50

ReputationRep:
    Wrong how? this is commonly known to be right. many companies do not even look at employing people from unis out side the top 20 and the target unis are the top 5, do surely its better to get a degree from a top 5 uni which maybe slightly off rather than get a fancy named degree from a uni barely in the top 50
    because it isn't gonna enable a person to do "pretty much any job".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88)
    because it isn't gonna enable a person to do "pretty much any job".
    BUT IT CAN! most companies do their own training and want a degree to see that a person is intelligent and will be worth while for that company! the worth of a degree is where that degree came from. but as i said of course it excludes medicine where specific degree is required.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2011

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.