Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't give a **** about what they think, just concentrate about what you want to do, and do the neccessary things to make it happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruby321)
    you could always be a radiographer or an anethesatist or even a surgeon... they don't really talk to patients much.

Hope is not lost

I say go for it anyway and see what happens
    NO....apply to medicine mate....& a surgeon is a doctor. Impossible is nothing, the lower u aim, the less you'll achieve.
    Tey'll make you a better communicator at uni

ReputationRep:
    Let me put it this way: f**k your friends, you have big aspirations, don't let people you probably won't keep in touch with get in your way, apply for Medicine, as long as you think you can handle it, it doesn't matter what your friends and family think. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    There's this idea nowadays that the 'perfect' med student has to be really outgoing and social and a great communicator etc. etc.
    Good communication skills are important, but sometimes being a bit awkward with friends (especially as a teenager!) does not in any way mean that you will not be able to communicate well with patients- you're years away from becoming a doctor and whatever you do, your personality and social skills will develop in that time. You'll also find that a professional (or even med school interview) situation is different to a normal social situation and therefore you might not find the same awkwardness at all. That's certainly something I've found, having experienced the social awkwardness at that age, but becoming more comfortable socially and in clinical situations with time.
    It's a shame in a way that so much emphasis in admissions is put on being, essentially, extroverted- medicine is very diverse and there are some specialities which are not particularly suited to such personality types and these areas are now struggling to recruit trainees.
    Go for it, and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wheelspin)
    If your going to listen to the haters, you don't deserve to do medicine, they teach us how to communicate more effectively so you have no reason to worry.
    Get new mates, if I told you what I think you should say to your mates, I'll get banned from the forum
    You're a snob aren't you? Ooooh look at me Imperial College!!

Get off your high horse mate, OP has a right to consider his/her friends opinions, that's only human!

OP, basically, there are specialities you can go to after medicine that don't need you to communicate with people. If you haven't sorted the problem out by then, you'll definitely find a career choice that suits you.

Medicine is very varied. You'll find your niché

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankiej)
    Well my friends think I'm too 'awkward' for medicine and I know that if I want it so bad I shouldn't care, but I consider my friends opinions otherwise, why wouldn't I now? I am pretty awkward, but I can't see myself doing anything else but be a doctor, I'm just not sure if my personality will stand in the way of that. A lot of these opinions come from other potential med students but I feel really stuckup when I say to myself that it's because they're trying to eliminate potential competition by discouraging others because what if they're right and I am wrong for this path? Anyway, is it right to say that the worst possible person for medicine is someone who's 'awkward' due to all the patient contact they'd have? Just trying to get some others opinions, thanks :3

Why the neg? -.- but I guess I missed the point, what I was trying to ask was do you think your personality can get in the way of your determination and maybe even your intellect? General question tbh, I was just trying to use my friends as an example
    what exactly do you mean by 'awkward'?

as in you struggle to talk to strangers? as in struggle to hold a convo?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you're right for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontthinkso)
    Do you think you're right for medicine?
    this

ReputationRep:
    Well my friends think I'm too 'awkward' for medicine and I know that if I want it so bad I shouldn't care, but I consider my friends opinions otherwise, why wouldn't I now? I am pretty awkward, but I can't see myself doing anything else but be a doctor, I'm just not sure if my personality will stand in the way of that. A lot of these opinions come from other potential med students but I feel really stuckup when I say to myself that it's because they're trying to eliminate potential competition by discouraging others because what if they're right and I am wrong for this path? Anyway, is it right to say that the worst possible person for medicine is someone who's 'awkward' due to all the patient contact they'd have? Just trying to get some others opinions, thanks :3

Why the neg? -.- but I guess I missed the point, what I was trying to ask was do you think your personality can get in the way of your determination and maybe even your intellect? General question tbh, I was just trying to use my friends as an example
    You don't reckon your personality might change a bit in your 5 years of university?

ReputationRep:
    On the one hand personality won't get in the way of determination or intellect but if you are really awkward around people then maybe you won't work as well with patients as a doctor should. On the other hand everyone has to build up their communication skills through their course and if you think that that will work for you then ignore your friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    On the one hand personality won't get in the way of determination or intellect but if you are really awkward around people then maybe you won't work as well with patients as a doctor should. On the other hand everyone has to build up their communication skills through their course and if you think that that will work for you then ignore your friends.
    As someone else said though, talking with friends probably isn't very similar to communicating in a professional environment with a patient.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, is it right to say that the worst possible person for medicine is someone who's 'awkward' due to all the patient contact they'd have?
    Is this a serious question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    You're a snob aren't you? Ooooh look at me Imperial College!!Get off your high horse mate, OP has a right to consider his/her friends opinions, that's only human!

OP, basically, there are specialities you can go to after medicine that don't need you to communicate with people. If you haven't sorted the problem out by then, you'll definitely find a career choice that suits you.

Medicine is very varied. You'll find your niché
    i'm sorry u never made it into Imperial?

OP what i meant was, have more confidence in yourself.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.