Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    There's some information here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200506470

They suggest emailing them before calling, but you can call immediately if you'd prefer.
    Thanks, positive rep. for you ^_^.

EMZ=]

I'm waiting for the even newer Kindle ...it will have a colour screen :drool:

Edit Mishap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    I'm waiting for the Kindle 2...it will have a colour screen :drool:
    The kindle 2 is already out! :P It was US only, and definitely did not have a colour screen! The Kindle 3 is the generation we are on at the moment.

At the moment, colour e-ink just isn't sufficiently developed for a good colour reader. The ones that are out are lcd.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously want a Kindle Fire, but I'm prepared to wait until Amazon releases the version they really wanted to ship first - the Fire 2 basically - early next year. The Fire has gone through loads of delays but the second version hasn't meaning they're only months apart - Amazon just wanted to get a foot in the door now. I'm willing to bet that they also won't release this first model outside the US but will ramp up Fire 2 production for a Europe/Australasia/Asia Pacific release, just like with ordinary Kindles.

Anyways, I've been a big Amazon fan for a long time now, this is just the excuse I've been looking for to get a tablet. Just not quite yet.

It's also bloody cheap.

(Original post by Teao the Cat)
    The kindle 2 is already out! :P It was US only, and definitely did not have a colour screen! The Kindle 3 is the generation we are on at the moment.

At the moment, colour e-ink just isn't sufficiently developed for a good colour reader. The ones that are out are lcd.
    I read it from the gadget show Edited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Pff Amazon, no Kindle Touch or Fire.

PFFFF I say.
    Amazon are just ripping us off in the UK. The Kindle is $79 in the US, but £89 in the UK! Thats worse than Apple!

The Kindle Touch looks worth it though. Plenty of space and 2 months of battery life! I'll probably seriously consider getting a Kindle Touch if its at a decent price in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Addict)
    Amazon are just ripping us off in the UK. The Kindle is $79 in the US, but £89 in the UK! Thats worse than Apple!
    It's not quite like that.

In the US, the $79 Kindle is ad-supported. Amazon never released their previous ad-supported Kindle in the UK, and this won't be either: they just haven't developed an ad network outside of the US yet.

They do sell their $79 Kindle in the US without adverts. This is being sold for $109 and it's this edition that's being released in the UK for £89. That's a pretty fair price conversion, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    It's not quite like that.

In the US, the $79 Kindle is ad-supported. Amazon never released their previous ad-supported Kindle in the UK, and this won't be either: they just haven't developed an ad network outside of the US yet.

They do sell their $79 Kindle in the US without adverts. This is being sold for $109 and it's this edition that's being released in the UK for £89. That's a pretty fair price conversion, imo.
    I see.. that makes sense. Its pretty fair I suppose. Thanks for clearing that up.

ReputationRep:
    I like having a keyboard But I hope they will still develop the Kindle 3 a bit more!

ReputationRep:
    Still no EPUB support? No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Ohhh sweet. Do I just ring them up and then do I send them it through the post or something assuming they will give me a replacement?

Thanks either way for pointing this out, could potentially save me a lot of money .

EMZ=]
    To back this up –*I've had mine replaced twice by Amazon free of charge, the second time because of a broken LCD as you have described.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123450)
    To back this up –*I've had mine replaced twice by Amazon free of charge, the second time because of a broken LCD as you have described.
    Awesome thanks .

EMZ=]

edit: sorry reached my limit on rep will rep tomorrow .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sendaii)
    Still no EPUB support? No thanks.
    I'm doubtful that they ever will. They seem to be determined to make Mobipocket the de facto format. Unfortunately Mobipocket is an absolute heap of crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Not to mention improvement in the godawful PDF support. I just get around the EPUB problem with Calibre. Does the job really well.

I can honestly say I barely ever touched my keyboard except to hit the menu or click buttons.
    I used it for searching and taking notes, and for the internet, so for me it was definitely better than clicking through letters one at a time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    I'm doubtful that they ever will. They seem to be determined to make Mobipocket the de facto format. Unfortunately Mobipocket is an absolute heap of crap.
    Yep. My college library has an ebook library, but all of the books are in EPUB format

Not to mention improvement in the godawful PDF support. I just get around the EPUB problem with Calibre. Does the job really well.
    Oh? How does that work?

ReputationRep:
    Calibre is a free piece of software that will essentially convert most book formats to the MOBI format. Pretty much a must have for any Kindle owner.
    Cheers. If it works, the new Kindle is cheaper than a lot of ereaders so ir might be worth getting.

ReputationRep:
    bear in mind that Calibre won;t convert anything with DRM, you;d have to remove DRM manually first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    bear in mind that Calibre won;t convert anything with DRM, you;d have to remove DRM manually first
    Not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    yeh,, tbh pdf support is what i'm really after.. there are heaps of great books/textbooks etc you can download but hate reading on laptop.

so an ebook reader with great pdf support would be nice... if kindle's rubbish at that... then any other suggestions ?

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a Kindle 3? I've always found the PDF support pretty much ok. It was worse on the older generation ones. Unless of course you're expecting it to reflow them to fit your screen, in which case you'll be lucky to find anything which does it satisfactorily.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.