Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of something I saw in a lecture. These white men on a chat show were like "A black woman stole my job". They described how because of "positive discrimination" the job they were qualified for was given to a black woman. The key word in this was really "my". Who said the job should by default belong to you? That if they hadn't have gotten the job it would have gone to you? It was open for taking and it's just that you as a "white, straight, cis male" have a false sense of entitlement. I really doubt you know that these people are more qualified than you, you just see their colour and assume things like this.

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing how all the jobs I've applied to have rejected me, yet when I go to the stores all I see are ethnic minorities. How is this 'equal opportunity'?

In fact, the only interview I've received was for Harrods at 16.

McDonalds - rejected in favour of some immigrants who won't complain
    Currys - rejected in favour of some ethnic minorities
    Toys R Us - see above

And it goes on.

How is 'equal opportunity' even legal? A company should not know a persons ethnicity before the interview, instead choosing based on skills and qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clara_H4)
    New minority? :curious: Hardly!
    You are talking about positive discrimination against minority groups,
    not discrimination against straight, white etc. people.
    Doesn't one rather necessitate the other?

ReputationRep:
    Oh just shut up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumos)
    ...and yet, straight white males still account for the overwhelming majority of managerial positions and highly paid jobs. poor you.
    THIS

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of that person who wanted to be the black, lesbian, one-legged Muslim.

Also get over yourself. This thread translates to nobody is paying attention to me, whah whah whah!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe arrogance is a much bigger factor in not getting a job than your skin colour?

ReputationRep:
    Wow life must suck for you.

Really, I feel your pain.

No stop laughing I mean it.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, I'm black and female and have been rejected from countless jobs. Positive discrimination my ass. The recession doesn't discriminate; we all have it hard mate.

ReputationRep:
    Too true my friend whites are discriminated against all over the world these days especially in America. For example they have affirmative action there er I dont know why they would if race doesnt matter as the liberals say. Also they have groups in congress that represent hispanics and blacks only more anti white racism. Finally they have black history month, black awards same for other minorities imagine if whites wanted to do this....... Naziswhokilled6millionjews would be the response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    What's "cis"?
    It's where your (biological) Sex and Gender (Identity) match, Tyrion.

ReputationRep:
    Positive discrimination is an oxymoron. All it's done is to make straight, white men highly suspicious. It is discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    whats "cis" when its at home?

ReputationRep:
    check your privilege, tosspot.

oh, and read up on racism. you know, actual institutionalised stuff. then come back and maybe you can whine whine whine to your privileged heart's fecking content. goddamn.

ReputationRep:
    'tard

ReputationRep:
    I suppose they're stealing your jobs and your wimminz? Classic. Some people need to take accountability for their own failings in life.

(Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    It's amazing how all the jobs I've applied to have rejected me, yet when I go to the stores all I see are ethnic minorities. How is this 'equal opportunity'?
    Or maybe they were better applicants than you? Way to demean the accomplishments of others. Getting rid of the entitlement complex may aid in your job search.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)

Or maybe they were better applicants than you? Way to demean the accomplishments of others. Getting rid of the entitlement complex may aid in your job search.
    The woman fresh off the plane from Poland, who speaks very little English, is a better applicant than someone who is currently on a gap year before going to university? I think not. I know some people who have admitted that they needed to lie in order to get a job because of this whole 'experience' bull****. You're going to train the person anyway so why does it matter? It's not rocket science to train someone in working a bloody till!

What happens if two applicants are evenly matched but 1 is white and 1 is asian? Does the asian get the job to fulfil a quota? If yes, that's discrimination and if no, then why have equal opportunities? Mind-boggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snippetor)
    In today's society minorities enjoy a privileged status, people like me who have no minority status to trade on are now passed up for jobs for which I am far more qualified in favour of someone of minority status.

The new minority, the new discriminated against group, the new disadvantaged group is the straight, white, cis male.

This is the result of our current PC culture, where 'equality'means minorities are elevated above equality.
    I have as suggestion. Find evidence of this discrimination, present it to police/the courts, and sue the crap out of the organization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    The woman fresh off the plane from Poland, who speaks very little English, is a better applicant than someone who is currently on a gap year before going to university? I think not. I know some people who have admitted that they needed to lie in order to get a job because of this whole 'experience' bull****. You're going to train the person anyway so why does it matter? It's not rocket science to train someone in working a bloody till!

What happens if two applicants are evenly matched but 1 is white and 1 is asian? Does the asian get the job to fulfil a quota? If yes, that's discrimination and if no, then why have equal opportunities? Mind-boggling.
    You keep testing them until they are no longer 'evenly matched'.

ReputationRep:
    Life's a B**** and then you die.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.