Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    I don't actually know, to be honest. Just the way life panned out.
    I am sure you will find people or at least one good person who you get on really well with. Sometimes it is just better having that one friend you can rely on rather than many you don't really know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihaveaquestion)
    Flawed argument.

Why did you feel depressed about not getting into Uni when there are people who can barely afford to feed themselves, do you think they would be depressed about not getting into Uni?
    I don't see your point. I don't tend to have any complaints about the food I eat or where it comes from, so I'm not putting a damper on something someone else wants so bad.

It's quite degrading to read that someone has taken a dislike to their university life, makes you feel like what you are yearning for so bad is something someone else despises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    You're fundamentally right.

Intrinsically right aswell .

ReputationRep:
    Yep. One of my flatmates has already packed it in after 4 days. 4 days!

Turned out uni wouldn't let us do single honors the first year and he had to take up another subject out of humanities (he was doing history) then drop it next year. He tried to switch to Business, couldn't and dropped out. All over a few modules in a year that wouldn't have anything to do with his overall degree. I've had to take up Philosophy, it's a little sudden, but I'd never chuck in the towel over it.

Madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Yep. One of my flatmates has already packed it in after 4 days. 4 days!

Turned out uni wouldn't let us do single honors the first year and he had to take up another subject out of humanities (he was doing history) then drop it next year. He tried to switch to Business, couldn't and dropped out. All over a few modules in a year that wouldn't have anything to do with his overall degree. I've had to take up Philosophy, it's a little sudden, but I'd never chuck in the towel over it.

Madness.
    I'm doing German and Italian at uni so joint honours already, but in addition they make us take an open unit in another language - they don't tell you this on the open day! Bit of a con really and not something I really want to do as I'm already doing a joint degree.

And I don't understand why your uni would make you do another humanities subject on top of History, which can be a very heavy subject itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickth)
    I'm doing German and Italian at uni so joint honours already, but in addition they make us take an open unit in another language - they don't tell you this on the open day! Bit of a con really and not something I really want to do as I'm already doing a joint degree.

And I don't understand why your uni would make you do another humanities subject on top of History, which can be a very heavy subject itself.
    I know it's really silly, you have to do majors and minors at mine, you do 8 modules a year, a major only takes 4, a minor 2, so you either do 2 majors, 1 major n 2 minors which is what I'm doing or 4 minors.

So even though I was also doing a joint it's been made a combined honors degree. They never told us and a lot of the humanities students are quite angry because they can't do more in their chosen subject and must take up a new one. Like they only offer 4 modules for my english anyway whereas I would have liked to have done 6 or something to make up the majority of my degree or half and half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    I know it's really silly, you have to do majors and minors at mine, you do 8 modules a year, a major only takes 4, a minor 2, so you either do 2 majors, 1 major n 2 minors which is what I'm doing or 4 minors.

So even though I was also doing a joint it's been made a combined honors degree. They never told us and a lot of the humanities students are quite angry because they can't do more in their chosen subject and must take up a new one. Like they only offer 4 modules for my english anyway whereas I would have liked to have done 6 or something to make up the majority of my degree or half and half.
    Which uni do you go to? I've often heard American students asking each other 'What are you majoring in?' so quite a surprise to hear someone in the UK saying it too!

We have 120 credits a year at my uni but only 100 are taken up by our chosen subject, so the other 20 we have to fend for ourselves. Not really what I signed up to! And sort gets under my skin that I am paying for this education...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickth)
    Which uni do you go to? I've often heard American students asking each other 'What are you majoring in?' so quite a surprise to hear someone in the UK saying it too!

We have 120 credits a year at my uni but only 100 are taken up by our chosen subject, so the other 20 we have to fend for ourselves. Not really what I signed up to! And sort gets under my skin that I am paying for this education...
    I'm at Hertfordshire, I thought it was a bit strange when the lectureres were calling them 'majors' and 'minors' when they explained most of us had to take up another subject to make up our credits.

See our modules are normally 15 each, and you must take 30 credits (15 in semester A and semester B) for each minor and 60 for a major, you can't do any less. So I only had 90 credits by doing my orginal course I applied for. I wish they had told us this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    I don't actually know, to be honest. Just the way life panned out.
    Thats sad but tbh i can relate. Its my freshers week right now, and the people im living with are completely different to me, the first night we all got on really well, but its gradually getting worse, to the point where none of them thought to invite me out today, even though i always iniate stuff with them. They obviously dont care. But before that i only had two friends on my course, and before that only one friend. i feel so lonely all the time here. are you at uni? how do you cope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GildedButterfly)
    Thats sad but tbh i can relate. Its my freshers week right now, and the people im living with are completely different to me, the first night we all got on really well, but its gradually getting worse, to the point where none of them thought to invite me out today, even though i always iniate stuff with them. They obviously dont care. But before that i only had two friends on my course, and before that only one friend. i feel so lonely all the time here. are you at uni? how do you cope?
    Yes, I'm at Uni. I cope because I'm used to it. When I first went to College it was a real shock having no friends (I tried hard to make them; I didn't just sit in the corner on my own ). I would literally go to the library in my free periods (3 hour chunks a day. Most of the time not even split up) and I wouldn't eat, because who wants people to notice that you have no friends? People would maul you up over that. So I got used to the loneliness, isolation and depressive feeling that it brings.

So by the time I got to Uni, I'm used to it all. It's not a shock anymore. It's sad, I know, but it's just how it is.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what kind of person you are and what your past experiences were whether having no friends and that initial period of lonliness upsets you.

I'm not the kind of person to have lots of friends (who can deal what the drama!?) so going to uni and being alone for a few months wouldn't bother me at all, i'd enjoy the solitude (I say that now ) but then after a few weeks of settling in, i'd branch out and begin to find people with common interests.

Plus i've heard a great way to make friends in halls is to take cake/chocolate and give some to anyone who says hi/comes in your room ^^ lol positive reinforcement for being social - i knew my psychology a level would come in handy one day!! ^^" XD

ReputationRep:
    Ok I think we can all agree that university/not getting into university problems are first world problems

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.