Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr-member)
    Ice cream vans.

£2.20 for a 99 cone? 30p extra for a flake?!

..they'd better give me damn good sprinkles at that price! :hmpf:
    £2.20? Seriously, I though they were 99p. Are you sure they are not ripping you off?

I don't know what you people are complaining about - if you want to buy ready-made food then don't expect to get it cheaply. And regarding the basics; find and go to the nearest marketplace/butcher's.

(Original post by thompsonic7)
    Don't even get me started on the price of Freddo's...
    Are you kidding me? I doubt even an asylum seeker would complain about the price of a Freddo's.

ReputationRep:
    Generally everything, burger king meal cost me £7.50 the other day.

ReputationRep:
    Galaxy for 56p absolute bull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillywilly93)
    quite a lot of american food over here is expensive

reeses cereal costs 8 quid for a box in a shop down the road
    thats because it's expensive to ship over and there's not much deman/competition... no idea why you would want that for breakfast anyway, aside from being really unhealthy it's disgusting, like a lot of american "cereals" (if chocolate/sugar counts as cereal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    £2.20? Seriously, I though they were 99p. Are you sure they are not ripping you off?
    Nope.
    All of the ice creams vans in my area sell them from >£2.00

..not seen them from 99p in about 5 or 6 years :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Popcorn. In cinemas. What costs Cineworld, Odeon, Vue, and all others around a penny, would be sold at £7.00

From £0.01 to ~£7.00 --> That's just taking the piss. I know they need to make their profit, but it's still no reason to sell popcorn at such horrific prices.

ReputationRep:
    Strawberries/ Blackberries/ Raspberries/ Peaches/ Nectarines (£1.80 for 4?!)

I mean, in Sainsburys its one teeny punnet of blackberries and one teeny punnet of raspberries (not even sure one layer of fruit is even a punnet)...two for £4...and thats supposed to be on offer?!

Also pringles seem to have gone through the roof, again I think in Sainsburys in London its two tubes for £4

Also agree with the nuts (by that I mean almonds/ walnuts etc...not pub nuts), they're regarded as healthy so instantly come with the price tag

Ben and Jerry's is the ultimate rip off of all...who the hell can spend £4 odd on ice cream!? its not even a big tub

(Morrisons half price Ben and Jerrys atm £2.22 ftw )

Also meat is expensive...4 slices of ham per pack, 2 packs for £4....that works out as 50p a slice! Alright its good ham (not a fan of the processed ham squares)...but at that rate Im probably best off buying sandwiches at uni and saving myself the hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Popcorn. In cinemas. What costs Cineworld, Odeon, Vue, and all others around a penny, would be sold at £7.00

From £0.01 to ~£7.00 --> That's just taking the piss. I know they need to make their profit, but it's still no reason to sell popcorn at such horrific prices.
    Its because they make no money from ticket sales

They only profit they get is from sales of food etc....its just unfortunate people are stupid enough to pay that price, which is why it carries on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)

They only profit they get is from sales of food etc....its just unfortunate people are stupid enough to pay that price, which is why it carries on
    You're absolutely right there, sugar. What sucks even more is that you're not even allowed to take your own food in there, although everyone does it from time to time, I've seen someone get searched in Cineworld, and it definately wasn't for a camera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_sperl)
    Krispy Kremes, can't believe the pricing on them is serious.
    It really does feel nice paying £10 for a box of flour that costs pennies to make

ReputationRep:
    Apples, c'mon £429 for an Apple? And also Blackberries, £300ish, WTF??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    I am going for

Innocent Superfruit Smoothie Pomegranate & Acai 250ml for £1.89 at Sainsburys. It's half price now at 94p, which is still expensive. 250ml is a tiny amount.

Popcorn as well, it's more expensive to throw away the packaging then the popcorn itself.

Dominoes pizza

Coffee chain drinks, I think a large drink is around £3. I would shop there if they lowered their prices.

Who sets these prices, a total rip off.

Name and shame
    Bottled water!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by why_)
    Apples, c'mon £429 for an Apple? And also Blackberries, £300ish, WTF??
    Thats why everyone should move onto HTC now, its much cheaper :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You got there before me!

ReputationRep:
    Cheese! A block of cheese is about £5... and not a massive difference between branded and own brand stuff either.
    When i need to buy cheese it makes my £10 - £12 weekly food shop £15 - £17 unless theres a decent offer on

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)

They do make money from ticket sales just not as much as they do from popcorn and drinks.

Their (dispensed) drinks cost no more than 20p either.

ReputationRep:
    What's up with your uni choices? :/

ReputationRep:
    Pizza Hut and Dominos Pizza have the highest profit markup of any takeaway junk food chain.

Yeah. THAT.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.