Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Well alcohol falls into that category, and that's legal.
    Alcohol doesn't **** people up after one hit though.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Which hard drugs can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    Alcohol doesn't **** people up after one hit though.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Which hard drugs can do.
    What if you're a real lightweight and drink Absinthe?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why hard working , dedicated nurses and doctors should have to focus their attention on some dicks who have adverse reactions to all the different types of drugs, rather than focusing resources and time on those that are ill through no fault of their own. Grow up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I don't see why hard working , dedicated nurses and doctors should have to focus their attention on some dicks who have adverse reactions to all the different types of drugs, rather than focusing resources and time on those that are ill through no fault of their own. Grow up!
    Currently they have to anyway - and most of those side-effects are due to prohibition since people are unable to take drugs safely, or buy drugs produced to industrial standards.

How about legalising drugs and charging people for drug-related NHS treatment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Legalising drugs inevitably involves taxing them, which means that the healthcare system can actually derive funds from users to pay for treatment and public health programs to discourage irresponsible drug use. Legalising drugs also means that quality standards can be regulated and less users will die or suffer severe complications in the first place from poor quality drugs cut with chemical powders.

In any case, drug use should certainly be decriminalised - it's had amazing results in Portugal. Drug users only resort to crime because there's no adequate public health policy preventing them from getting to a stage where they actually need to commit criminal acts.
    This argument sounds promising. However do you really agree that Heroin should be decriminalised? I've heard you take one hit and you're fine, then another and you keep looking for that same high again.... if it's decriminalised what public health policy can actually prevent one from getting so strongly addicted that they resort to crime to pay for their addiction? I agree with light substances such as the obvious cannabis and psychedelics being decimalised, but with substances such as Heroin my opinion wavers a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    Currently they have to anyway - and most of those side-effects are due to prohibition since people are unable to take drugs safely, or buy drugs produced to industrial standards.

How about legalising drugs and charging people for drug-related NHS treatment?
    I think charging for it is a good idea howeve it still doesn't solve the problem of lots of resources being used up that could go on people who deserve them. And of you were to charge for it the costs would be so high that the majority of people couldnt pay it.

ReputationRep:
    "drugs are a mug's game"

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis should be made legal, I don't think any one will argue against that.

As for legalising other drugs, they should legalise at least mdma as well, as a going out alternative to alcohol. Not only is your night way better than with booze, mdma is also much safer than booze and is one of the safest drugs in general. I'm not that supportvie of mephedrone, speed or cocaine being made legal, if mdma is legal interest in other stims will probs lessen anyway.

I also think more research should be made on the 2c family of drugs, because wow they are just amazing, 2c-b in particular, and there has been no recorded deaths from their actual ingestion (there has been numerous deaths due to another drug under the name of 2c, but was not actually a 2c drug, again this problem wouldn't have happened if they were legal). Magic Mushrooms and LSD I think should also be made legal.

You can't just generalise all drugs in one category though. Read up on Krocodil, no one in their right mind would even touch this drug, and it is only poor heroin addicts who can't afford heroin who use it. Crystal Meth as well I don't think should be legal.

If you give people a good variety of the safe and fun drugs (eg; weed, mdma, magic mushrooms) the demand for other drugs will no doubtedly decrease, as people will be willing to settle.

I don't disagree with the logic as to WHY drugs like cannabis are currently illegal (if it's dangerous then make it illegal, sounds fair enough), they just have their facts completely wrong. There is no justifiable reason for cannabis to be illegal, so of course the government have to make **** up.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because we pay their wages? Just sayin...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to support an NHS under a society where drugs are legal. I'm not paying for your recreational hazards unless you run the risk of jail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Cannabis should be made legal, I don't think any one will argue against that.

As for legalising other drugs, they should legalise at least mdma as well, as a going out alternative to alcohol. Not only is your night way better than with booze, mdma is also much safer than booze and is one of the safest drugs in general. I'm not that supportvie of mephedrone, speed or cocaine being made legal, if mdma is legal interest in other stims will probs lessen anyway.

I also think more research should be made on the 2c family of drugs, because wow they are just amazing, 2c-b in particular, and there has been no recorded deaths from their actual ingestion (there has been numerous deaths due to another drug under the name of 2c, but was not actually a 2c drug, again this problem wouldn't have happened if they were legal). Magic Mushrooms and LSD I think should also be made legal.

You can't just generalise all drugs in one category though. Read up on Krocodil, no one in their right mind would even touch this drug, and it is only poor heroin addicts who can't afford heroin who use it. Crystal Meth as well I don't think should be legal.

If you give people a good variety of the safe and fun drugs (eg; weed, mdma, magic mushrooms) the demand for other drugs will no doubtedly decrease, as people will be willing to settle.

I don't disagree with the logic as to WHY drugs like cannabis are currently illegal (if it's dangerous then make it illegal, sounds fair enough), they just have their facts completely wrong. There is no justifiable reason for cannabis to be illegal, so of course the government have to make **** up.
    I will. It leads many onto other forms of drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes legalise drugs, but you need to educate people properly about their affects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deltabomber)
    I'm not going to support an NHS under a society where drugs are legal. I'm not paying for your recreational hazards unless you run the risk of jail
    You pay for drug users healthcare anyway so that point is moot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I've tried nearly every drug under the sun apart from herion and I would not want them to be fully legalized. They are fine if you are like me and researched them thoroughly before trying anything, have the ability to take them without any permanent adverse effects (I have had very severe adverse reactions to them before). However, the vast majority of the population are plebs. Giving free and easy access to every single substance would result in a similar culture to our current binge drinking one, although replace alcohol with drugs. Look at when mephedrone was freely available, every single person in every nightclub was off their tits on it, it was ridiculous.

I know it is hypocritical but I'd prefer to live in a society that drinks on the weekend rather than shoots up, because you can still function like a normal person after a night on the lash. You can't say the same snorting lines or what not, it would just compound the problem we already have.

Besides it is not hard to get drugs now if you want it, the legislation just acts as a buffer in reducing overall drug users numbers. Those who don't know dealers or those who can't be arsed to go to the effort of obtaining them tend to avoid, if they were freely available, those same people would probably smash them just as they did with unregulated mephedrone.

P.S. No longer do any drugs and hardly drink anymore, been there, done that. Focusing on more productive avenues now.
    I can function a lot better on cocaine than on alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    There is virtually no argument against the legalisation of Narctoic substances other than backward moral outrage, sadly that's rather a powerful force in society even today.

ReputationRep:
    Should all drugs be legalised, with immediate effect, with a complete freedom for whoever wishes to sell or distribute them to do so? HELL NO.

Should most drugs be legalised in a carefully staggered manner, with carefully restricted distribution licences and a detailed ongoing research program into the effect of the legislation? HELL YES.

ReputationRep:
    I think charging for it is a good idea howeve it still doesn't solve the problem of lots of resources being used up that could go on people who deserve them. And of you were to charge for it the costs would be so high that the majority of people couldnt pay it.
    Under current system no one can take drugs - if the only problem is some kind of healthcare cost externality (and you don't think the state should subsidise it in the way it subsidises everyone else's lifestyles), there's no justification for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Look at when mephedrone was freely available, every single person in every nightclub was off their tits on it, it was ridiculous.
    Freely available, but not regulated or researched into. Everyone was taking mephedrone because it was legal and so easy to get hold of. If other drugs had been too, I don't think the problem would have been nearly so bad.

I agree with the people saying most drugs should be legalised, but definitely not all. I struggled alot with mephedrone addiction, and after seeing friends give up crack - I do not think the comparison of the two drugs is unjust. I have seen people turn blue and have fits after prolonged use of mephedrone. Many of the people I know have different sized nostrils from six months use.

I think crack, heroin, mephedrone and crystal meth should not be legalised. I think if the others were to be, it should be for a probationary period of time - and a lot of research should be done on the effect it has on crime, the nhs, general drug use etc.

It is so hypocritical that cannabis is a class B drug with no recorded fatalities - whereas if alcohol was invented now, it would be prohibited immediately. Alcohol and nicotine are more dangerous than cannabis will ever be. Alcohol especially, causes more problems in mainstream society than any other drug has ever done.

Theres always the lift to the economy the taxes would produce as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I can function a lot better on cocaine than on alcohol.
    Herp derp.

Great, you can function well on cocaine, so can I. However, society can barely even manage with people going out on a Saturday night and getting pissed, can you imagine society substituting alcohol for a much more addictive and damaging drug such as cocaine? Responsible people are in the minority, most people wouldn't be able to control cocaine usage and end up rinsing their bank accounts and ruining their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Herp derp.

Great, you can function well on cocaine, so can I. However, society can barely even manage with people going out on a Saturday night and getting pissed, can you imagine society substituting alcohol for a much more addictive and damaging drug such as cocaine? Responsible people are in the minority, most people wouldn't be able to control cocaine usage and end up rinsing their bank accounts and ruining their lives.
    I was referring to your single point that it's much harder to function on a night out on cocaine than alcohol, when in reality it's much easier.

Anyway, my personal view on the matter is that some drugs (mainly weed, shrooms, ecstacy) should be legalised and what I call "the crack head substances" (mainly cocaine, heroin, speed) should not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.