Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You are right about manufactured rubbish sponsored by Simon Cowell and a few others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steverockin)
    Great response, allows so much scope for banter...
    That's just how I roll around

ReputationRep:

Now tell me it's all brilliant. They had ****, we have ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    That's just how I roll around
    Yeah you're mean... but its ok

ReputationRep:
    Some of us look beyond the obvious X Factor/top 40 etc... :rolleyes:

Just because I like modern music doesn't mean I'm into songs about "stabbing *****ez" and "hanging in da hood", I don't know if you've noticed but there's a HELL of a lot of music out there and you can't generalise it all as "modern crap". I think Frightened Rabbit's songs are beautiful. And the lyrics of the Arctic Monkeys are sheer genius. I could list and list and list, but I don't think your point is worth making a huge case against, because it's so easily proved wrong.

ReputationRep:
    People in the eighties probably thought the golden age of music was 1950s-1970s, and people in 2020 will likely say that all started going downhill from 2015 onwards. The grass is always greener, right? And everything looks different in retrospect anyway. Nostalgia is a strong emotion.

ReputationRep:
    How dare you? Nirvana :love: :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovehunter)
    Who the ****ing hell gave me neg rep for this ???
    people who listen to nicki minaj

but ja i do agree with your thread title (skim read your paragraph)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belizibub)
    Classical and Technical death and black metal is around. So I beg to differ, nothing touches those genres on terms of musical prowess.
    Death metal. Just lol.

ReputationRep:
    I love the older stuff, especially 80's rock / metal (Guns and roses are a personal fave) but there is some good stuff out there, like that Rhianna - love the way you lie (Not the version with Eminem in it). There's been too many good songs over the past 20 years to even begin to list, back then I was into trance, I remember lovin the 5am remix of Out of the blue... Class.

ReputationRep:
    Ben Howard has only been around the past few years so I beg to differ.

I think it's ridiculous to say one decade is better than another, many great bands/artists span several and many started performing in each decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chav Princess)
    Death metal. Just lol.
    Unsure what's lol but erm thanks for the quote. And there is a distinction between "Death metal" bands such as; Death, Cannibal corpse etc which are mediocre in technical terms, compared to the genre of "technical" death metal; the bands there such as; Decrepit Birth, Odious Mortem, Obscura, Putridity are among technically the best musicians out there.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i summarise it like this:

1950s music - awesome

1960s music - awesome

1970s music - awesome

1980s music - awesome

1990s music - awesome

2000s (post-2004 at least) music - CRAP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotalLifeForever)

Now tell me it's all brilliant. They had ****, we have ****.
    Good God! How was that allowed to play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhubbert)
    I personally like all music
    Even this?

ReputationRep:
    Michael Jackson

ReputationRep:
    You are continually exposed to pop so are more aware of the fleeting **** that continually comes up.

1969. It's the year that Abbey Road came out, Led Zepplin I/ II, Five Leaves Left, Tommy, Let It Bleed.

Number one hit that year? Sugar, sugar by The Archies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie57)
    Even this?

Alright, not that but nearly all music with a preference to anything before 2000, more specifically 1980's. Something about the beats and backing music I just like :P

ReputationRep:
    I can still listen to Lennon, floyd, bowie, dylan etc, so why be annoyed?

Because I have to put up with the majority of people who know sweet f'all about music and only listen to the charts everytime I go out, or if I stay in with my housemates. The only reason anyone knows the classic bands is because they've been in ****ty programs like glee, or because the media will not stop shoving them down peoples faces.

/rant because its getting incoherent.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who bases that opinion on the current UK top 40 is a tool. When comparing one of the greats like The Who to an upstart chav like Cher Lloyd then I'd be inclined to agree. I'm genuinely trying to think of an argument on the flip side but I don't know enough crap 80s music to compare good modern bands to.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.