Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_london)
    Quite a few. Econometrics and time series analysis are a bit of my speciality tbh. (basic econ by gujariti, econometrics by greene, time seies by hamilton,....). These are challenging, but nothing compared to an introductory course on stochastic differential equations (see oksendal), which i found very tough.
    I would have assumed that any good quality finance degree will have 'similar' quantitative courses to economics.
    Giving you facts from ibanks. Why is that most quants are recruited from grandes ecoles in France and they are mostly all graduates in maths or engineering? In fact, most phds will be in maths, physics, engineering,.... You will have the odd exception here and there in econ or finance, but certainly not the norm. For quantitative associates programs, lse is not even a target.
    It is a fact that a phd in econ is inferior to a phd in maths, science,...when it comes to hard core analytical skills. How many econ graduates have decent coding/programming skills?
    My point was that any good quality finance/investment course will teach you as much analytical skills as Economics. Finance/Economics, are family subjects, one looks at maximising utility function, whereas the other one looks at maximising risk return.
    Um yeah but that's if you want to go into quants. I doubt there are many economics grads working in quant departments. Maybe I missed the the point of this thread but we were not discussing how to get into quants. That's usually reserved for geniuses with PHDs in some form of maths I never knew existed etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say KCL although it wouldn't be much of a difference than going to CASS

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.