Turn on thread page Beta

Maths PhD: Brand Name and Employability following PhD watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    So does anyone here suggests to OP that doing a PhD at Bath is a better option that landing a job in an IB straight after his degree from Cambridge?

If not just shut up.
    The point, if you read his original post, is that he hasn't decided whether he would pursue a career in academia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    So does anyone here suggests to OP that doing a PhD at Bath is a better option that landing a job in an IB straight after his degree from Cambridge?

If not just shut up.
    For a graduate job in IB, no.

For a job in IB that requires a PhD, self-evidently yes. He's asking how much prestige will impact this, ie. whether going to Bath relegates you to a much lower tier for PhD entry, as it apparently does as undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHomer)
    Hey everyone,

I've just finished doing Part III Maths at Cambridge and I'm considering applying for a PhD. Although I left with a first, I only just scraped it and so I'll be forced to apply outside of the COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial) departments. After speaking with a few lecturers, Bath came up. Unquestionably, Bath is a good University and their Maths department (especially in my field) is very strong but in some ways, their image is weaker; it lacks the prestige of places like Oxbridge or LSE and on a global level, doesn't feature. If I turn out to be a decent researcher and work in academia afterwards, then none of this will matter as I'll be judged on my thesis and on the work that I do. If I choose to take a non-academic route, I imagine that my employer could be less meritocratic and matters of prestige and status could be influential (especially in places like the city where I could be applying among other PhD holders), and ultimately, if I can't find an academic job I'd like to start a well paid career somewhere.

Is a non-academic employer going to think this way? How influential is the "Brand name" of your University in matters like these? Are these completely unreasonable thoughts? Are their first thoughts going to be "Not quite good enough to continue at Cambridge"?

Thanks.
    Cams Part III with an overall First and you think Bath is the best you can get for PhD??

Rediculous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Cams Part III with an overall First and you think Bath is the best you can get for PhD??

Rediculous...
    Standards for a PhD in pure are high, it seems. Certainly, many of my friends have found it difficult to find funding this year.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.