Can YOU fix the economy? Watch

Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by John Silver)
The economy exists in a finite world with finite resources. It could be that economic growth has come to its logical end
The world doesn't have finite resources, we aren't in a closed system.

Also there's still a lot of resources left to use, global labour prices are still pretty cheap remember.
John Silver
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
The world doesn't have finite resources, we aren't in a closed system.

Also there's still a lot of resources left to use, global labour prices are still pretty cheap remember.
Please explain to me how the world doesn't have a finite set of resources? the study of economics examines this very question...how to allocate scarce resources
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I didn't say this year...

Applicants and student numbers (take 2010 entry) are higher now than when top up fees were brought in at £3,000, which were higher than when they were at £1,000 which were higher than when there were no fees but no grants, which were higher than when people were on full grants.

Look at the last 5, 10, 15 or 30 years, as student support has been withdrawn numbers have increased.
Yes? That does not mean that fee's correlate to this.

I sup[pose you have also taken publictiy in to account. Growing number of courses and places, growing social norm to go to university, growing number of international students, growing number of general population etc etc in to account? No. You are not.

It really is absoloutely ridiculous to suggest that looking at pure fee rises, more people will go when they are raised by such a level. Utterly ridiculous.

Simple google search is your friend. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11373077
Just one article.

Now.. please find me an article which states more people will go when fee's are higher, purely because of those fee levels and nothing else. Thanks.
Classical Liberal
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The economy is not something you can master in college. To think otherwise is the pretense of knowledge.

I want plans by the many not by few.
usainlightning
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The economy exists in a finite world with finite resources. It could be that economic growth has come to its logical end
I've heard this arguement a couple of tiems recently and to be honest it's pure nonsense. Most economies are predominately not resourced bassed economies. Look at the UK for instance. 70% of our economy is reliant on services.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by usainlightning)
I've heard this arguement a couple of tiems recently and to be honest it's pure nonsense. Most economies are predominately not resourced bassed economies. Look at the UK for instance. 70% of our economy is reliant on services.
I suppose every resouce is finite in the sence that the Earth will take millions of years to reproduce it however it is largely irrelevant because of the point you have made and also the fact that we have an entire solar system of resources that we could use, right now however it is not cost effective.
username843209
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I could fix it with my amazing plan.

But I'll let you know in 20 years when I'm the Chancellor.
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ...mo...)
Global leaders need new ideas that will work, so where else but TSR.
This is a joke, right? Maybe your sarcasm is lost on me...
OLawyer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi.

On TV and online we see politicians and "experts" have meeting upon metting and still can't come to a decision which will solve or even recover the financial mess that we are in.

Global leaders need new ideas that will work, so where else but TSR.
I think your mum may be able to solve the financial crisis.
...mo...
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok. Now.

The point I am making is that due to imperfect information not everyone is aware of this. This leads to students being put off going to uni and instead searching for the limited amounts of jobs currently available. If the goverment wants to improve our position in the long run it should use policies which would benfit the economy as a whole. By raising tuition fees students may be less educated leading and may lack some skills which could lead to further problems in the future
...mo...
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tommyjw)
Yes, lets lower the cost of fee's thus either putting universities out of business or forcing subsidies again which will cause more economic problems including the opportunity cost wasted of putting money back in toi thata rea and the already large problem of having too many graduates. Your suggestion is astounding.
No. universities have been doing well and are not in need of higher fees to keep them open. There is a surge in demand which can be accomodated for by increasing the supply of university places. Basic economics tells us that that the short run policies used by the goverment will not last and that they are trying to make an impact in the short term they are in, leading to myopic decision making. A larger amount of graduated is a long term solution and will tempt foreign companies to come and recruit which increases jobs and benefits the economy.
...mo...
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Apart from raising fees increases student numbers so actually you need higher fees to encourage more people to go.
???

so if no one wants to buy a $80,000 house then you put the price up to $100,000 to sell it?
...mo...
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
I don't know how this argument of 'increasing fees reduces student numbers' comes from, We've gone from full grants to fees of £3,500 per year and student numbers have increased throughout. And the class mix has become closer to normal through that time too.
Increasing the price will lead to less demand for these courses. Accompanied by a reduction in supply leads to output (graduates) being reduced even further.

Let me make it simple.

You make something expensive then less people will want to buy it. Not more!
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not single handidly I couldn't. Idea's wise, I don't know too much economics so would have to read up on it first.
...mo...
Rep:
?
atleast your honest
tomatoslayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no, i can't. that's why i'm busting out of this joint.
ChapelTom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How about the cancellation of some debts?

E.g.

UK owes France £1 billion and France owes UK £2 billion, cancel £1 billion so the French would only owe £1 billion.

Or is this is a stupid idea?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Increasing the price will lead to less demand for these courses. Accompanied by a reduction in supply leads to output (graduates) being reduced even further.

Let me make it simple.

You make something expensive then less people will want to buy it. Not more!
Nice theory.

In reality land thats not whats happened.

As fees have been introduced and risen over the last 14 years demand has increased.
denislaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
???

so if no one wants to buy a $80,000 house then you put the price up to $100,000 to sell it?
In southern England that strategy was selling houses last year that had stuck for months.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Please explain to me how the world doesn't have a finite set of resources? the study of economics examines this very question...how to allocate scarce resources
Well for a start population growth gives an ever increasing amount of hman resource.

Solar energy introduced into the world increases world resources.

So the resources aren't finite.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (513)
46.98%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (339)
31.04%
I don't have an opinion (240)
21.98%

Watched Threads