Turn on thread page Beta

Did you have a dad or father figure that comes and goes as he pleases? How did this.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erich Hartmann)
    ......as per the title, did you have a daddy or father figure that comes and goes as he pleases. How did this characteristic affect you?

For the purpose of this discussion it could be due to any reason he comes and goes such as :-

1) Job related, HM Forces, diplomats, oil-rig etc where the nature of it is you have to be away for an extended period of time or maybe he is trying to dodge tax so he has to be away from UK, etc.

2) Had another family elsewhere.

3) Had a life he preferred so choose to be home as minimally as possible.

....... do share.

Thanks.
    well, my dad used to love me more than my elder brother when i was little, as is always the thing, dad prefers daughter, u know.
    time goes by, things are changing. we two don't have so much to share now, u know, the generation gap thing.
    but to hit the key, my dad, even my mom haven't have so much hands in my growing-up. i am kinda a pretty independent one, self-control, and self-developed,
    i mean, it's good anyway. u got your own ideas now. you can make your own decisions, so that's YOU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erich Hartmann)
    Do you think this has affected you in any way?
    nah I'm pretty resilient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Oh yeah, I forgot that it is alright to be racist and make crass stereotypes if you are black...

*rolls eyes*
    It really is alright.

You have obviously never watched Dave Chappelle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    It really is alright.

You have obviously never watched Dave Chappelle.
    Yeah but he is funny with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Yeah but he is funny with it
    lol well I do agree that it is only funny in real life and on an internet forum it just sounds racist. I assure you I can pull off some good black guy jokes in person :P

Friend: Where's that money I lent you last week

Me: I'm afraid you broke the First Law of Life

Friend: What's that?

Me: *ghetto black guy accent* You don't lend a black guy money, you give a black guy money! *ghetto black guy accent*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    lol well I do agree that it is only funny in real life and on an internet forum it just sounds racist. I assure you I can pull off some good black guy jokes in person :P

Friend: Where's that money I lent you last week

Me: I'm afraid you broke the First Law of Life

Friend: What's that?

Me: *ghetto black guy accent* You don't lend a black guy money, you give a black guy money! *ghetto black guy accent*
    He's kind of got a point though haha. My dad is black and does nothing to assuage the promiscuous, absent father stereotype :rolleyes:

He doesn't not pay people back afaik though haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DynamicSyngery)
    Presumably this is you. Can you not just move your family to Monaco or whatever?
    Nature of work, not really an attempt at tax dodging, though as a benefit of it I do get to pay less in taxes.

As for moving the family over, not in the near term, the mam of the kids will need 4-6 more years at university and she can only do it in Britain due to language issues. Plus she isn't a fan of living abroad.

I can't look after the kids without the mam around.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.