Turn on thread page Beta

yawn old news, my tutors in college told me this all the time

ReputationRep:
    Nothing about me comes up about me at all.

ReputationRep:
    I get someone else's Bebo. Winning.
    If you search my name and my city you get an article from results day that lists all student's number of A-levels, including mine. Not that bad, really.

ReputationRep:
    Just my contact details in my current job and a travelblog I did years ago. My name's an unusual one but I also seem to share it with an Australian beggar and an American football player...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Please Register)
    Soooo... what's your real name? :sexface:
    ... Ha.

It wasn't very flattering. I have no chest so the corset just flattened me even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Try it with your town name.
    Your university etc.
    Narrow the paramters down.
    Tried, can't find anything on me at all. My email won't search in Google because it contains underscores, my facebook profile has a different email to the email address on facebook. My name is far too common, and it took my mum 3 hours to find me on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomme)
    Or just disable public search
    How do you do this?

ReputationRep:
    Would an employer really sit there and search for every applicant's name trying to work out who someone is?

And for most applications you don't submit a photo so they wouldn't know if it was you or not - John Smith, for example, is going to have a lot of pictures but which ones are of him? Dmitri Mohammed Jesus Hitler could be easily found, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    Would an employer really sit there and search for every applicant's name trying to work out who someone is?

And for most applications you don't submit a photo so they wouldn't know if it was you or not - John Smith, for example, is going to have a lot of pictures but which ones are of him? Dmitri Mohammed Jesus Hitler could be easily found, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same one!
    Yes, they would, but obviously not for every applicant. It's just for those who make it through to the final stages of an application.

Again, obviously most employers will not base anything on the information they find unless they're reasonably sure that it's the same person. If they don't have enough information, then they'll just disregard it (or probe further at a later stage).

ReputationRep:
    Meh searching for my name without anything else added.

I would come up as several WW2/WW1 War veterans.. surprisingly I was stopped in the street the other day by an old veteran that saluted me and asked if he has any more orders 8)
    (with no web matches)

Typing in my home town I get one picture with me on the bike, with my twitter account ( i lost the username) I also appear on yasni and 192.com Hate them websites.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a TSR username that gives away your first name... oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    If they don't like me for my online presence then they can GTFO. :hmmm:

Seriously, if someone is so nosey they need to snoop about you because they have a sad and boring life then I don't want to work for them anyway and I'll tell them that. I like working in an environment that keeps working life and private life completely apart as it helps you stay level headed.

I have turned down a job because they interviewer google'd me and he asked why and I said I found it an invasion of privacy. When he replied with 'you put it in the public domain for people to see' I replied with 'If I left my door open does that give you a right to steal things from my home?'. Two hours later I got a phone call and he offered me the job and stated my interview techniques in working around the fact I had been google'd were great and that such thinking could be applied within the company to solve problems etc.. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I just googled myself (sounds dirty)

I got: a picture of me fallin over in a forest with a beer can in my hand haha, nerdfighters page which I don't use, facebook, myspace and my work phone number on the Contact us page at The London 2012 Games in Essex

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, I'm a terrible Major League baseball player who died in 1927.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    I share my name with a person who has a twitter account under the username of BabyEater14.. That's not good.
    :lol: Not the best image you could hope for.

I get several chinese people's Facebook links (I'm white British), a link to my parents names on 192 and my profile on First Tutors.

My Facebook account isn't so bad anyway. I have mostly sensible/ nice photos and never really swear/ complain/ make allegations

Not such good news... Just below these pretty private things you can download my CV that I put on TSR to get some help with. That's not cool.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing about me on internet. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    I found this as the 3rd image:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-GF-17VJXQd4/Ti...NO-hangout.jpg

ReputationRep:
    My name is apparently quite common...there's a few people with my name on Facebook, but none of the results in the first few pages of Google link to me. Even narrowing down with other details in my profile. I couldn't remember how strict my privacy settings were...looks like they're strict enough that my profile doesn't exist outside of Facebook.

The closest thing I found was in an image search, a picture of a girl I recognised popped up, clicking on it took me to my Bebo profile that I hadn't signed into since January 2008. I quickly sussed out the password and deleted the profile. Not that it was a major issue...I don't think anyone looking for me would be clicking on pictures of girls thinking 'hey this could be him!'

Apparently someone has a LinkedIn profile with my name too, well that can't do me any harm.

I'm sure I had a MySpace profile too...maybe I already deleted that? Definitely not coming up on Google anyway

ReputationRep:
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...sYwZhzDP78Sxqr

So Im a hyperactive drunk

ReputationRep:
    I'm a jazz guitarist and a footballer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.