Turn on thread page Beta

Is Oxlade the next big thing? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valmonte)
    He has potential to be, not sure as to why he's being compared to Walcott when they're very different.

In any case he has great awareness on the pitch for his age and seems to have a high football IQ unlike the likes of Walcott.
    To be fair Walcott is really a good player, I'll have him over malouda any day. Walcott can finish, if he could cross or assist like bale he'll be as good as him. Don't you remember walcott vs barcelona in the quarter final two seasons ago, he destroyed maxwell that match.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Southampton must be kicking themselves for selling all these wingers. They're basically a lower league aston villa.
    Chamberlain might become the finished article, but because he's english he'll be underated or overated so we won't know how good he really is. I dont know much about his passing, otherwise Wenger might have a new nasri or something.

Why the neg, just being realistic. They sell their good young wingers, just like Villa did with young/downing and milner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    To be fair Walcott is really a good player, I'll have him over malouda any day. Walcott can finish, if he could cross or assist like bale he'll be as good as him. Don't you remember walcott vs barcelona in the quarter final two seasons ago, he destroyed maxwell that match.
    Walcott is good but there's something missing.

He isn't really good at beating players which is probably why he kinda sucks as a winger, he is more suited to being a striker but can't get a look in at playing through the middle. One of the main things that separates the best players in the world from the rest is their high football IQ and vision, it's like they see things in slow motion lol. Whereas Walcott sometimes has no idea what he's going to do after he's finished running, sometimes it's like he's left his brain behind at the spot he started sprinting from.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Southampton must be kicking themselves for selling all these wingers. They're basically a lower league aston villa.
    Chamberlain might become the finished article, but because he's english he'll be underated or overated so we won't know how good he really is. I dont know much about his passing, otherwise Wenger might have a new nasri or something.
    Having just been promoted from League 1 we were never going to turn down a £15m bid from a top 4 club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamix)
    His name to me sounds like a soft drink.
    He's the next Theo Walnutt, so no. Definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super_Hans)
    Having just been promoted from League 1 we were never going to turn down a £15m bid from a top 4 club.
    Totally agree. Not seen another Saints fan on TSR before! :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, sad, they did use some of the chamberlain money on jack cork though and southampton are doing pretty well in the championship.

Is there anything that really makes chamberlain special though? Like he scored a couple special goals in league one last season but yeah what's really special about him.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, sad, they did use some of the chamberlain money on jack cork though and southampton are doing pretty well in the championship.

Is there anything that really makes chamberlain special though? Like he scored a couple special goals in league one last season but yeah what's really special about him.
    He is a cracking player, was gutted to lose him but we got a good deal which softens the blow somewhat. I have no doubt that he will be better than Walcott - I got to about 20 games last season and from what I have seen he is not just pace, he is better technically and is an intelligent player. Give it a couple of years and barring a major injury you will have bagged yourself a bargain.

ReputationRep:
    He is a cracking player, was gutted to lose him but we got a good deal which softens the blow somewhat. I have no doubt that he will be better than Walcott - I got to about 20 games last season and from what I have seen he is not just pace, he is better technically and is an intelligent player. Give it a couple of years and barring a major injury you will have bagged yourself a bargain.
    Well I hope he doesn't show himself as a bargain against chelsea. I saw one goal he scored with his left foot which was quality. Do you think he'll be a nasri/mata/silva type winger or a nani/bale/valencia type winger.

ReputationRep:
    still, can't quite believe arsenal spent £12mill on someone who won't start performing consistently well until 4-5 years time (and thats if everything goes to plan - no injuries etc. :rolleyes:), when they are in desperate trouble right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzybear)
    still, can't quite believe arsenal spent £12mill on someone who won't start performing consistently well until 4-5 years time (and thats if everything goes to plan - no injuries etc. :rolleyes:), when they are in desperate trouble right now
    You've gotta love arsene. It's because of the wage bill structure and because southampton took them for mugs. Although he will be worth more than that in the future to be fair and i can see he'll be a great player.
    It's because they can't get any established players and keep them except for van persie and probably wilshere and if it wasn't for the fact that the top 4 teams have a player like him in their team and english players don't go abroad much he probably wouldn't stay when he gets to 25 or something.

ReputationRep:
    You've gotta love arsene. It's because of the wage bill structure and because southampton took them for mugs. Although he will be worth more than that in the future to be fair and i can see he'll be a great player.
    It's because they can't get any established players and keep them except for van persie and probably wilshere and if it wasn't for the fact that the top 4 teams have a player like him in their team and english players don't go abroad much he probably wouldn't stay when he gets to 25 or something.
    Such is the sad state of affairs for arsenal that a 19 year old can be considered as an established player :facepalm2:, oh arsenal where did it all go wrong?

The bit about Oxlade turning out to be a great player, yeah its possible but wasn't the same said about Theo Walcott? I mean Theo ain't bad, but he hasn't lived up to expectations despite being at the club for 5 years already. Don't know though, maybe I'm being pessimistic. He's still 22, so time is on his side.

ReputationRep:
    First of all calm down.

He's got the basics to a top players but so did JET. He's still many laps away from being a DECENT player yet alone a world class player. He's much ahead of where I expected him to be especially since I was against his signing.

He is certainly NOT Theo MK II

ReputationRep:
    He's definitely Walnutt 2.0

Theo isn't even that great; sometimes I even think Aaron Lemon is better!

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope he doesn't show himself as a bargain against chelsea. I saw one goal he scored with his left foot which was quality. Do you think he'll be a nasri/mata/silva type winger or a nani/bale/valencia type winger.
    He's quite unpredictable and I wouldn't want to put him in either category. He can beat his man and whip in a good ball or cut inside and do all the intricate stuff. If I had to say I would say he is most like Bale. However he is only 18 and Arsene will go a long way to shaping how he plays over the next few years.

ReputationRep:
    There's a clip of him shooting practice with u-21's and he's got a deadly shot on him that's for sure - see his shot the other night destined for top corner as well.

I think he's one of the most exciting prospects in England.

ReputationRep:
    Those saying he's a carbon copy of Walcott are just wrong. Chamberlain is a much more complete player already then Walcott was at the same age. Much better crosser of the ball, I'd say he looks stronger than Walcott does now.

He'll replace Walcott in the next couple of years. Brilliant young talent.

Is he the next big thing? Its rare I say this, but with him, possibly.

ReputationRep:
    He might be one of the next big things, but we all know the future revolves around the footballing genius that is ... Ravel Morrison.

ReputationRep:
    He's got the technical ability that Walcott lacks, however:rolleyes: Walcott is a better athlete. Just imagine Oxdale with Walcott's pace. Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    He might be one of the next big things, but we all know the future revolves around the footballing genius that is ... Ravel Morrison.
    Nah, its all about Raheem Sterling. :cool:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.