Turn on thread page Beta

There is nothing wrong with speeding that is sensible watch

ReputationRep:
    and someone gave you a liscence?

You gonna advocate swigging from a bottle of jack next next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    and someone gave you a liscence?

You gonna advocate swigging from a bottle of jack next next?
    Lol no. I already swig on Jager and Disaronno dude like a trooper. Neil Patrick Harris would be proud. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    If he's driving at 90mph, he's not going to be behind a lorry.
    So, being at 90mph suddenly makes lorries disappear? Also, that was a typical example. The idea remains the same - if you notice something that you need to avoid 100yds ahead (be it a massive pothole, a live animal, a toolbox, a big stone fallen off a skip, you name it), you'll make it at 70. You won't at 90.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armador)
    So, being at 90mph suddenly makes lorries disappear? Also, that was a typical example. The idea remains the same - if you notice something that you need to avoid 100yds ahead (be it a massive pothole, a live animal, a toolbox, a big stone fallen off a skip, you name it), you'll make it at 70. You won't at 90.
    If there is a pothole on a British road thats the fault of the government, we pay enough tax, the road should be made of silver ffs with how much our pockets get rinsed. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    If there is a pothole on a British road thats the fault of the government, we pay enough tax, the road should be made of silver ffs with how much our pockets get rinsed. :rolleyes:
    You're completely missing the point. Also, roads, just like everything, wear down after a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armador)
    You're completely missing the point. Also, roads, just like everything, wear down after a while.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...unday%20driver

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    You could say that at ANY speed though. The fact is, someone driving at 90mph could be just as good at stopping a vehicle over distance as you are at 70mph. Certain cars alter stopping distances and so forth as well.

As an extra F2 driver I Know mate. :cool:
    As an extra F2 you should also know that there are things called racing tracks and things called roads where there may be public danger and risk of killing others who aren't as "skilled" or responsive as you may be.

You should also know that on a racing track there is much better safety and response from medics if an incident were to occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    As an extra F2 you should also know that there are things called racing tracks and things called roads where there may be public danger and risk of killing others who aren't as "skilled" or responsive as you may be.

You should also know that on a racing track there is much better safety and response from medics if an incident were to occur.
    But an open road is not dangerous at all, only to yourself This is my argument. Roads should be monitored and when suitable the speed limit should be pushed up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, on a straight motorway what is wrong with doing 120mph on the clock?

It just gets you to the place faster and gets you out of other peoples way and stops congestion. Its obvious.

Lower limits = more time spent on that stretch of road = more cars on that road = congestion = more time taken = people late for work = lack of productivity = bad on the economy.

What is so bad about it?

In a built up area where there could be a child popping out in between cars or playing in the street yes speeding is dumb and dangerous but on a motorway there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I always speed. In my Merc I've hit 160mph on a few occasions and I've been pulled and I told the police this and they just gave me a stern telling off saying that other officers would feel obliged to strictly enforce the law in practice, with which i can accept.

Anyone agree that sensible speeding is alright? :cool:
    I agree with you. I think the Germans have the right idea with their limitless motorways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radekal)
    I agree with you. I think the Germans have the right idea with their limitless motorways.
    would give you rep but no point dude as its worthless

but I fully agree so I'll rep you in my own way with skills mate.

+REP

ReputationRep:
    would give you rep but no point dude as its worthless

but I fully agree so I'll rep you in my own way with skills mate.

+REP
    Haha thanks

ReputationRep:
    But an open road is not dangerous at all, only to yourself This is my argument. Roads should be monitored and when suitable the speed limit should be pushed up a bit.
    Say you crash on an open road, you'd be wasting everybody else's time and going against your explanation for speeding in the first place. Also, others may go into the back of your stopped vehicle or maybe even can't see you on a slight bend. The point is, there's more harm done than good.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't drive a car at 150mph+ safely you shouldn't be on the road at all. You are clearly a poor driver if you can't handle a fast car. The test is way too easy and allows n00bs on the road to just loll about all day going pure slow and causing accidents as people join from an intersection. :rolleyes:
    I know you're a troll and all but sadly all too many young people think they're somehow invicible and end up wrapped round a tree in their Corsa because they think they're a badass. You ain't, guys. Nobody is going to be impressed at your mad skillz at your funeral.

(Original post by there's too much love)
    70MPH is a bit too slow really, and I think the speed limit should be more like 90 on many stretches of motorway.
    People don't go at 70 though, they go at about 80 because they know they can go a bit above the limit. Change the limit to 90 and people are going to push it even more.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly believe that everyone should pass a basic driving test, and then they are limited to 80mph on motorways, and a car with no more than 100hp. And more Advanced drivers should do an Advanced test to drive whatever they want, and they should be the only ones allowed to use the third lane on a motorway (where possible). Then the motorway limit should be 120mph for Advanced drivers, and unrestricted between the hours of 8pm and 6am.

Also the advanced people should have to do a refresher test every 3 years, and be trained for more advanced driving, skid control, hazard awareness, anticipation, etc.

ReputationRep:
    You get speed limits on motorways because it's an easily measured, easily understood quantity that tells you when someone's breaking the law. What you really want to stop is dangerous driving but trying to prosecute people for that deteriorates into subjective judgement and arguing about how special the brakes on your car are or that doing track days gives you super skillz.
    Urban speed limits are afaict based on the amount of damage a car obeying the limit can do to a pedestrian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I know you're a troll and all but sadly all too many young people think they're somehow invicible and end up wrapped round a tree in their Corsa because they think they're a badass. You ain't, guys. Nobody is going to be impressed at your mad skillz at your funeral.

People don't go at 70 though, they go at about 80 because they know they can go a bit above the limit. Change the limit to 90 and people are going to push it even more.
    Slippery slope fallacy.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.