Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seriously. Pick a university & course.

Treat it like a job and you will get a 1st and walk into your desired employment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AestheticOverload)
    If you want me to be brutally honest, I have to say your options are extremely slim. People in considerably better positions than yourself, with very strong qualifications, and experience are struggling badly.

If you want my advice, I would try to expand my skill set/qualifications without incurring further debt... like going to university. But if you do choose to go to university, you need to enroll on a very strong course, firmly backed by thorough research and networking before and during the course, and not be afraid to move countries in pursuit of your career on completion of said course. It really is that simple.

I admire your determination to turn your life around. Don't listen to some of the idiots on here who have nothing better to do than dismiss you.

CEDD is not fantastic but then again, you're not saying you want to do medicine at Oxbridge. There are plenty of courses you can choose from with those grades. Mature students bring life experience and enthusiasm to higher education which universities respect. If you go to www.push.co.uk and use the 'uni chooser' you can see which universities have courses specifically within your grade category.

I would say, right now, it's more important to do something that fires you and which will give you a strong qualification. The current economic climate is not going to predict fantastic job opportunities anywhere for the time being. Although, to make a generalisation, NHS careers usually have a stable demand. The NHS careers website (I think somebody already mentioned it) is wonderful.

Just some areas to think about:
    Forensic psychology (if you're particularly into the forensic side of things)
    Counselling (can study part time and work in NHS or private practice)
    Medical receptionist. (degrees/ qualifications in medical administration are often shorter than traditional subjects whilst still supplying you with a professional qualification)
    Nursing
    Pharmacy
    Health Policy/ Administration

I think anything that you do will show you to be determined and focused which is hugely important. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    how would you even go about getting no lab experience during a degree? It's not like it's a choice.
    Well teaching labs isn't lab experience, the research project is, but really people need wider experience than that to be ahead of the game. Otherwise they just look like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Seriously. Pick a university & course.

Treat it like a job and you will get a 1st and walk into your desired employment
    ...said the fresher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    ...said the fresher
    Hahaha shot me down..

This was the advice of my uncle who works as audit manager for HSBC. Lets just say he's in the 50% tax threshold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Hahaha shot me down..

This was the advice of my uncle who works as audit manager for HSBC. Lets just say he's in the 50% tax threshold
    Which is fine advise for someone of the calibre to be in the top 2% of earners, presumably they didn't get DDEc at A-Level though?

'keep practising' wouldn't turn me into a premiership footballer, and 'work hard' won't get someone a 1st if they haven't the capability to achieve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Which is fine advise for someone of the calibre to be in the top 2% of earners, presumably they didn't get DDEc at A-Level though?

'keep practising' wouldn't turn me into a premiership footballer, and 'work hard' won't get someone a 1st if they haven't the capability to achieve it.
    I don't fully agree with your point because your equating earning an undergraduate degree with becoming a professional sportsperson or anything that requires natural ability for that matter.

Of course the capacity has to exist within a person, but hard work is such an undervalued and underestimated component of achievement. Also the first time round he completely failed his a-levels and had to re-do them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AestheticOverload)
    You'll be surprised who can get into university and with what grades. University is a business.
    I know, but it's not going to be a very good university, with rather poor employment prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    I know, but it's not going to be a very good university, with rather poor employment prospects.
    As others have said, it's different for mature students. Good universities will consider you even if you have a mediocre academic record so long as you can demonstrate that you've obtained good work experience and that you've got the intellect and determination to do the degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.