Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Axellia)
    I'm not doing medicine but I do know about it as half the people in our school are wanting to do it. When I say top university I mean to say top as in most competitive by reputation, such as those UCL and Imperial which were listed above by the thread started. Obviously it is going to be harder to get into medicine at UCL than, for example, Birmingham which is a completely average university in terms of reputation.
    :rofl:

Oh so misinformed :lol:

If you want to think that then fine, but try not to get other people to have your same view..

And fwiw you need better GCSEs to apply to birmingham than you do UCL seeing as we were originally talking about GCSEs :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing medicine but I do know about it as half the people in our school are wanting to do it. When I say top university I mean to say top as in most competitive by reputation, such as those UCL and Imperial which were listed above by the thread started. Obviously it is going to be harder to get into medicine at UCL than, for example, Birmingham which is a completely average university in terms of reputation.
    Birmingham sort of require 8A*s at an absolute minimum...

(Original post by Penguinsaysquack)

If you want to think that then fine, but try not to get other people to have your same view..

And fwiw you need better GCSEs to apply to birmingham than you do UCL seeing as we were originally talking about GCSEs :fyi:
    Also, PSQ is right about basically everything he's said in this thread, you're wrong Axellia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)

You may need better to apply but the thing is, I am talking about success rate and offers, UCL students on average will have a better set of GCSEs than Birmingham students. Of course you could probably get into a less well known and less competitive medicine degree with straight Bs such as Lincolnshire. When you next find someone who has gotten into medicine at UCL with straight Bs at GCSE, let me know, and then I will believe you.

ReputationRep:
    You may need better to apply but the thing is, I am talking about success rate and offers, UCL students on average will have a better set of GCSEs than Birmingham students. Of course you could probably get into a less well known and less competitive medicine degree with straight Bs such as Lincolnshire. When you next find someone who has gotten into medicine at UCL with straight Bs at GCSE, let me know, and then I will believe you.
    What the hell's Lincolnshire university? If you mean University of Lincoln, they don't do medicine.

PSQ never argued that you can get in with straight Bs or less, just that - and I quote; "It's easier to get into medicine with lots of A*s at GCSE, but not a necessity". You do almost certainly need As mostly, and a few A*s wouldn't go amiss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    What the hell's Lincolnshire university? If you mean University of Lincoln, they don't do medicine.

PSQ never argued that you can get in with straight Bs or less, just that - and I quote; "It's easier to get into medicine with lots of A*s at GCSE, but not a necessity". You do almost certainly need As mostly, and a few A*s wouldn't go amiss.
    I also have never heard of Lincolnshire university until recently because apparently penguin has a medicine course there as they said they were a medicine student and their profile says they are studyng there

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, the point I have been wanting to make is, if you are wanting to do a medicine course at UCL or Imperial, I believe this is impossible with straight Bs at GCSE
    I am leaving this thread and not looking back
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't study in Lincolnshire... there aren't any medical schools in Lincolnshire :fyi:

I'll ask some of the medical students when we have our intercollegiate events then if I remember.. but that's in a few weeks time
    I also have never heard of Lincolnshire university until recently because apparently penguin has a medicine course there as they said they were a medicine student and their profile says they are studyng there
    Clearly my signature and location and 'where I study' fields aren't clear enough for you... I do not study at Lincoln University.. I am originally from Lincolnshire, I study in London

I'm at Barts and the London SMD :fyi:

But anyway we're going a bit off topic now people!

Basically, OP work hard, get the best grades you can get and when you've got them we can help you decide where you might want to apply to

ReputationRep:
    No; you've misread.

Home: Lincolnshire Uni: London

Means his home's location is Lincolnshire. His uni's location is London.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    to OP

A*'s and A's are going to be a must as everyone has said but also realise that most uni's let alone med schools don't count non-GCSE's which your IT diploma would fit into and maybe maths which leaves you with 6 GCSE's when most will want a minimum of 8.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 1, 2011

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.